GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thinking about upgrading wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-01, 08:51 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manaray and other LA locals, any wheel store recommendations with good prices?

Thanks,
Old 08-24-01, 10:13 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gsman,

so have you decide which wheel you like? in la i know a good source for lowenharts/l-sportline. if you like other wheels, i would go outside cal like

www.gtautosports.com

dave imports them dir from japan, and you do not pay taxes. email hiom but be patient for response. he will get the wheels you want at good prices.

william
Old 08-24-01, 10:44 AM
GSman
Pole Position

GS4will,

I'm still trying to narrow down my wheel choices. I did call Dave at GTautosports and he is looking into a new PIAA 3-piece split spoke design similar to the Manaray Quests. Do you suggest I just get the rims from him and buy tires/mount locally? Who has good tire prices? Also, I am thinking about getting an L-Sportline side skirt and wanted to know who you recommend?

Thanks,
Old 08-24-01, 11:26 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Default GSman

GSman,

please check your PM, got some good sources for you

william
Old 08-24-01, 11:29 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zushwa - Yeah, I have that picture...but it's on a Nissan Cima (a car not available in the U.S.A...bastards)...I'll post it later...

Chrome - I think wheels that don't have a LOT of continuous surface area look ok in chrome (like "mesh" style wheels). However, I don't like chrome for more than just the ghetto bling-bling aspect of it. I don't like chrome because it adds a LOT of unnecessary weight to the wheel (you can get wheels in a high polished finished rather than chrome to get the bling...) and chrome chips easily...even quality chrome jobs...

GSman - LA shops...you can try Sprewell (www.sprewellracing.com) or F1 motorsports (www.f1motorsports.com)

GT Autosports is good for getting JDM style wheels if you can ever get ahold of Dave...he SERIOUSLY needs to look into getting some help over there...

If you want PIAA wheels, Steve Ganz @ Carson toyota (SupraTRD on Club Lexus) can get them for you too...check with Steve first....he's our resident parts supplier!
Old 08-24-01, 01:45 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

wheels you can also try E-Mail to Hiro.

http://store.yahoo.com/lexusparts/

Look for his Email there.

You can go to Sprewell Racing but IMO they don't install things right at all. Buy the wheels and go to a tire/wheel shop and install/balance them.
Old 08-24-01, 08:23 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Manaray,

I've been debating about chrome for awhlie, personally I like classy, not too flashy style of rims, not the all out bling bling. However, the rim that I am deciding on do not seem to have high polish available, only chrome or silver, unless you know otherwise, so, what is your opinion of silver finish?

the rim I am looking at is the Weds Kranze Cerebus, 3 piece,

Originally posted by manaray

Chrome - I think wheels that don't have a LOT of continuous surface area look ok in chrome (like "mesh" style wheels). However, I don't like chrome for more than just the ghetto bling-bling aspect of it. I don't like chrome because it adds a LOT of unnecessary weight to the wheel (you can get wheels in a high polished finished rather than chrome to get the bling...) and chrome chips easily...even quality chrome jobs...
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-01, 06:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Lex430 - Personally, I would go with Silver with the high polished lip...I think it's a classy looking combination...great choice on the wheels...it's just too bad Zenetti *****ed up the Cerebus's image by bring out a cheap *** fake of it....oh well, at least you're getting the OG wheel that's a REAL 3-piece! 19", right?

Globe - RE: Sprewell - have you had problems with their installs? I've seen a TON of their jobs (I was around when DAZZ was there!) and they've done some killer work (fender mods and such)...the only they do, that bugs me, is that they're just a little too willing to install Benz wheels on a non-Benz car (you know, all the wanna-be Rap stars and basketball players that want "Lorenzos" on their Lexos...)
Old 08-25-01, 02:40 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by manaray

Globe - RE: Sprewell - have you had problems with their installs? I've seen a TON of their jobs (I was around when DAZZ was there!) and they've done some killer work (fender mods and such)...the only they do, that bugs me, is that they're just a little too willing to install Benz wheels on a non-Benz car (you know, all the wanna-be Rap stars and basketball players that want "Lorenzos" on their Lexos...)
They did my intake and spoiler installation. I ended up going to 2 other places to re-do the installation

my friend's exhaust was installed by them too. Not centered. Crooked. Scratched.

And yah the Benz wheels on non-Benz things too.

Dazz was great. Seriously. I was there too when my bro went to Dazz for things for this E-klasse.
Old 08-25-01, 02:53 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Globe and Manaray,

i know exactly what you guys are talking about:eek: last time wei and i went there and were looking at some nice hart wheels, and two guys there were trying to tell us how COOL the 3-piece Brabus rims would look on Wei's GS. and we were like....
Old 08-25-01, 10:08 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

haha Will, I know. the guy is like oh.. try the Carlsson, oh how about Brabus monoblock, oh this Losiuner is the best for GS.. haha ...

personally I think as long as the wheels looks fine, fits your style, great quality, I really don't care whether it is a Benz rims or BMW rims tho.

hehe Work equip!! coming!
Old 02-08-18, 01:05 PM
synco357
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where I can purchase the Altstadt center caps?
Old 02-08-18, 02:10 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by synco357
Does anyone know where I can purchase the Altstadt center caps?
Googled "Altstadt center caps" and found THIS as the first result.
Old 02-08-18, 04:35 PM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

This thread is sixteen years old. What the ****.

Riverside no longer exists. The Altstadt has been out of production for probably as long as this thread has been dead. Second hand market is the only place to get center caps, so try Croober, UpGarage, Yahoo Auctions, and JDM wheel parts brokers.
Old 02-08-18, 06:56 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Go factory IS350 staggered. Keep it original looking. Will clear big brake set up. & if you get chrome, you can protect the chrome using ceramic coating 9H. Look it up.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about upgrading wheels!-2012-05-13-13.59.17.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thinking about upgrading wheels!