GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Differential leak due to leaking input shaft seal???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 07:23 PM
saelee39
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential leak due to leaking input shaft seal???

I had lexus checked out a leak and they told me that it was the differential due to leaking input shaft seal. est. $700.... i was wondering what has to come off to get to this seal? is this a difficult job? please help..... thanks

Last edited by saelee39; 02-24-06 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-24-06, 08:58 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ANYONE got the answer
Old 02-25-06, 05:28 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a new dif.
Old 02-25-06, 05:45 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Get a new dif.
there must be a cheaper/easier way than that.......if the dealer said $700 to fix, it can probably be done for about half that much $$$.
Old 02-25-06, 05:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

PM fellow member Aliga. He may have a used Dif for your car. Great guy The 700 bucks is for labor?
Old 02-25-06, 06:04 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saelee39
I had lexus checked out a leak and they told me that it was the differential due to leaking input shaft seal. est. $700.... i was wondering what has to come off to get to this seal? is this a difficult job? please help..... thanks
Have the service manager show exacly what seal is leadking and see if it is the pinion seal #2 on this site
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=2&catalogid=1
If it is I would tke my pic to a few places that work on transaxles like an off road and 4x4 place they do alot drive line work. just becuase it on a Lexus does not mean they can not remove and replace a differential.
you can see if it is the pinion seal i5 is only $13.
Old 02-25-06, 06:29 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
there must be a cheaper/easier way than that.......if the dealer said $700 to fix, it can probably be done for about half that much $$$.
i see where his comment is coming from... a used supra lsd diff is almost $900-1000. so if it does turn out that this seal is a $700 job you might want to think about this.
Old 02-25-06, 07:20 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
i see where his comment is coming from... a used supra lsd diff is almost $900-1000. so if it does turn out that this seal is a $700 job you might want to think about this.
I doubt replacing a seal costs $700 anywhere else besides the dealer though. It looks simple, only one page in the svc manual....

big pics

Last edited by chuckb; 02-25-06 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-25-06, 08:40 AM
pianovt
Rookie

Saelee39,

I have done this job a few times, but not on a Lexus. (The design is just about the same on all rear wheel drive cars.) The input shaft seal is the one facing the transmission, and it's a little trickier to replace than the other two that face the wheels. Basically, you have to do the following:

1. Mark the exact position of the driveshaft center bearing relative to the body. You want the shaft to go back in exactly in the same position as it was when it came from the factory. If the driveshaft comes apart, make sure you either don't separate the halves, or mark them so they go back together the same way as they were. The shaft is usually balanced with a weight, just like your wheels.

2. Remove the driveshaft, either entirely, or just swing the differential end out of the way so you can get to the flange on the differential. On many cars, you have to clear out other stuff like the exhaust in order to do that.

3. There is a tool to hold the flange while you unscrew the big nut in the center of the flange.

4. Pull off the flange.

5. Pull out the defective seal.

6. Remove the sleeve/spacer. This sleeve is not reusable. It was deformed intentionally when the factory people tightened the nut that holds the drive shaft flange in space.

7. Install new sleeve.

8. Install new seal.

9. Install Flange.

10. Tighten the flange nut to specified torque. The new sleeve will be compressed and deformed. After you have done this, do not remove the nut, or you will have to start with a new sleeve and seal.

11. Reconnect the rest.

The question is, why did the seal fail? Does the differential make any noise when you coast or back off slightly from the gas pedal?

You can do either of the two things: have it repaired, or get a used one from a salvage yard. I would not offer more than $250 for a used one. Differentials rarely fail, and salvage yards probably see no demand for them. Swapping out the differentials may however cost you a few hundred dollars, depending on who does it.

I doubt that the Lexus dealers have any more experience with replacing the seal than someone who works on transmissions and differentials.

Also, how big is the leak? If it's just a little damp around the bearing, you could ignore it. If it's dripping, that's another story. As long as you keep enough oil in the differential, nothing bad will happen to it. Try wiping off the leak and drive for a week or a month to see how serious it is.

VT
Old 02-25-06, 08:49 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pianovt
Saelee39,

I have done this job a few times, but not on a Lexus. (The design is just about the same on all rear wheel drive cars.) The input shaft seal is the one facing the transmission, and it's a little trickier to replace than the other two that face the wheels. Basically, you have to do the following:

1. Mark the exact position of the driveshaft center bearing relative to the body. You want the shaft to go back in exactly in the same position as it was when it came from the factory. If the driveshaft comes apart, make sure you either don't separate the halves, or mark them so they go back together the same way as they were. The shaft is usually balanced with a weight, just like your wheels.

2. Remove the driveshaft, either entirely, or just swing the differential end out of the way so you can get to the flange on the differential. On many cars, you have to clear out other stuff like the exhaust in order to do that.

3. There is a tool to hold the flange while you unscrew the big nut in the center of the flange.

4. Pull off the flange.

6. Remove the sleeve/spacer. This sleeve is not reusable. It was deformed intentionally when the factory people tightened the nut that holds the drive shaft flange in space.

7. Install new sleeve.

8. Install new seal.

9. Install Flange.

10. Tighten the flange nut to specified torque. The new sleeve will be compressed and deformed. After you have done this, do not remove the nut, or you will have to start with a new sleeve and seal.

11. Reconnect the rest.

The question is, why did the seal fail? Does the differential make any noise when you coast or back off slightly from the gas pedal?

You can do either of the two things: have it repaired, or get a used one from a salvage yard. I would not offer more than $250 for a used one. Differentials rarely fail, and salvage yards probably see no demand for them. Swapping out the differentials may however cost you a few hundred dollars, depending on who does it.

I doubt that the Lexus dealers have any more experience with replacing the seal than someone who works on transmissions and differentials.

Also, how big is the leak? If it's just a little damp around the bearing, you could ignore it. If it's dripping, that's another story. As long as you keep enough oil in the differential, nothing bad will happen to it. Try wiping off the leak and drive for a week or a month to see how serious it is.

VT

Pretty good info tho.... for you buddy
Old 02-25-06, 07:42 PM
saelee39
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Get a new dif.
thanks dash,

when you say get a new diff oil, does that mean replacing the whole oil with something different? what types are there? .............i am not really familiar wit this....the dealer wanted 700 for labor + seal, i dont know if this includes replacings it with new oil....

Last edited by saelee39; 02-25-06 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-25-06, 09:28 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
I doubt replacing a seal costs $700 anywhere else besides the dealer though. It looks simple, only one page in the svc manual....
i thought we were talking about the main input shaft (ie. driveshaft), not the output side shafls/axles?
Old 02-25-06, 10:35 PM
saelee39
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pianovt
Saelee39,

4. Pull off the flange.

7. Install new sleeve.

8. Install new seal.

9. Install Flange.

11. Reconnect the rest.

VT
i dont notice any noise from the gas pedal, the leak is not that big, it leaks like a nickel size drip at least once a week, and how do i know if i diff oil is low?
Old 02-26-06, 05:14 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
i thought we were talking about the main input shaft (ie. driveshaft), not the output side shafls/axles?
oh, I thought we were talking about one of the side shafts leaking......
Old 02-26-06, 10:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

thanks dash,

when you say get a new diff oil, does that mean replacing the whole oil with something different? what types are there? .............i am not really familiar wit this....the dealer wanted 700 for labor + seal, i dont know if this includes replacings it with new oil....
No I meant another differential unit. 700 bucks is a lot for labor Other guys can chime in.. But if it was me, I would want another diff. There is no telling what else would fail on that diff. Diffs rarely fail.

Quick Reply: Differential leak due to leaking input shaft seal???