GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Look what showed up today at my door

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 05:17 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Look what showed up today at my door

Who can guess what these are? (hint -- it's not manufactured by JP, Tein or SRT).
Attached Thumbnails Look what showed up today at my door-dscn5072-resized-.jpg  
Old 02-09-06, 05:43 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Okay, I can tell that the suspense is just killing everyone. Maybe this will help:
Attached Thumbnails Look what showed up today at my door-dscn5073-resized-.jpg  
Old 02-09-06, 05:45 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Alright, alright. You guys must really be stumped (or, more likely, just don't care because it says Toyota on the box ).

Here's the final hint. If this doesn't help, I don't know what will:
Attached Thumbnails Look what showed up today at my door-dscn5074-resized-.jpg  
Old 02-09-06, 05:46 PM
e-man
Pole Position

And another (I still can't figure out why these need to be replaced -- they're a solid piece of metal):
Attached Thumbnails Look what showed up today at my door-dscn5075-resized-.jpg  
Old 02-09-06, 05:48 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And another (I still can't figure out why these need to be replaced -- they're a solid piece of metal):
that's what i've been trying to explain to you. i can't see a reason why these need to be replaced since it's a solid piece of metal. i can only see replacing these if a bolt stripped off. if these are tighted down to the frame, how can they make any noise? unless they weren't tightened down all the way and it was hitting the frame from bumps.
Old 02-09-06, 05:55 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
that's what i've been trying to explain to you. i can't see a reason why these need to be replaced since it's a solid piece of metal. i can only see replacing these if a bolt stripped off. if these are tighted down to the frame, how can they make any noise? unless they weren't tightened down all the way and it was hitting the frame from bumps.
I know, I know. I've heard 3 different opinions on this. Some say (including yourself) that the strut tops don't need to be replaced when replacing the shocks. Others say that they should always be replaced. And yet others say that you only need to replace the front ones because the rear ones don't wear at all. So, I decided to buy the tops just for the fronts. If it turns out that they don't need to be replaced, I can return them for a refund.
Old 02-09-06, 06:11 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, Eric where are strut top rubber pieces? I tought they come with rubber which i tought is part of strut top,
I tought it is a set strut mount and rubber, if you can get brand new rubber at local dealer, send those back, s***

It's more about rubber piece than metal part, since they sell it alone, send it back man
Old 02-09-06, 06:15 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
Hey, Eric where are strut top rubber pieces? I tought they come with rubber which i tought is part of strut top,
I tought it is a set strut mount and rubber, if you can get brand new rubber at local dealer, send those back, s***

It's more about rubber piece than metal part, since they sell it alone, send it back man
Hey Jake. Is it possible that the rubber piece is part of the strut top assembly? I can tell you that it's all one piece, but it's possible that there's rubber between the top and bottom metal plates.
Old 02-09-06, 06:36 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

There is rubber piece betwen spring and strut top, you must use new rubber..
I tought they sell strut top and rubber as set, looks like they are not, so find out if you can get rubber piece
Old 02-09-06, 06:37 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice e. I didn't see the ball joint box though?
Old 02-09-06, 06:47 PM
daltexlex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you were paying to replace those struts with original equipment, you may as well bought L-tuned ????
Old 02-09-06, 06:51 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daltexlex
if you were paying to replace those struts with original equipment, you may as well bought L-tuned ????
allow me e - it's factory or nothing for e. plain and simple.
Old 02-09-06, 07:01 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
Yes, i know that too
Old 02-09-06, 07:36 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

e-man... It seems like your getting new stuff every week... Great looking piece of suspension.. I can't wait to hear the write up after the install.. Its going to make a huge difference..

Tony
Old 02-09-06, 08:18 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
There is rubber piece betwen spring and strut top, you must use new rubber..
I tought they sell strut top and rubber as set, looks like they are not, so find out if you can get rubber piece
Hmm. I'll have to give lexus-parts.com tomorrow. Is it possible that the rubber piece is in the box with the front shocks? I doubt it, but maybe. I only opened up one of the rear shock boxes.

Originally Posted by chuckb
Thanks CB. You beat me to it. Hey Chuck, you've got your OEM stuff sitting in the garage, right? If you have a chance, maybe you could post a few pictures of the front assembly where the shock spring inserts into the strut top.

Quick Reply: Look what showed up today at my door