GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY cabin air filter with LOTS OF PIX

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 04:37 PM
Redline442
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info....my filter was original I guess!!! 112,500 miles. Looked awful!
Old 06-27-08, 06:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

theres a reason you shouldnt do this........the oem filter which you can buy from advance for like 30 bucks has a charcoal addative in it to keep down air inpurities. i work for a heating & air supply house and we sell these filters....even if you get a mono pleat (better filter) its still a throw away after a month the other filter is useable for 30000 miles! PLUS the diy filter wont trap all the particles you need i think the oem one is rated to .002 PPU. just my $0.02 that saving 10 bucks isnt worth my clean fresh air
Old 06-27-08, 03:37 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
theres a reason you shouldnt do this........the oem filter which you can buy from advance for like 30 bucks has a charcoal addative in it to keep down air inpurities. i work for a heating & air supply house and we sell these filters....even if you get a mono pleat (better filter) its still a throw away after a month the other filter is useable for 30000 miles! PLUS the diy filter wont trap all the particles you need i think the oem one is rated to .002 PPU. just my $0.02 that saving 10 bucks isnt worth my clean fresh air
I disagree, it all depends what filter you choose, and there's a whole lot more variety for home filters then for the car. Along those lines, I don't think cabin filters are somehow some super secret material that's better then home filters, it's the same stuff sourced from a filter paper manufacturer. If anything, the homemarket is a bigger market then the car market and you'll find more variety and have the option to get material that is even better than from the auto parts store.

I've seen the same fancy home filter materials like you mentioned that have activated charcoal/carbon, and you will still save money it you cut it down yourself.

One tip I'll add is you can ducttape the border to the frame to ensure that all the air flows through the filter material.
Old 06-28-08, 06:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

its not a theory or a guess here.......its about the ppu (particles per unit)they can hold in! some junky filter from home depot wont hold the same amount of particles in! its a fact not a guess! now i dunno if you cut a charcoal/carbon filter down and used it if it would be the same or not! i work for a heating and air supply house and i can tell you the difference between a throw away filter, a mono pleat filter, a charcoal filter, and a reusable (DONT USE THESE THEY ARE AWFUL) filter are HUGE! so you cant just go put ANY filter in and assume you'll get the same filtration!
Old 06-28-08, 12:39 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

its not a theory or a guess here.......its about the ppu (particles per unit)they can hold in! some junky filter from home depot wont hold the same amount of particles in! its a fact not a guess! now i dunno if you cut a charcoal/carbon filter down and used it if it would be the same or not! i work for a heating and air supply house and i can tell you the difference between a throw away filter, a mono pleat filter, a charcoal filter, and a reusable (DONT USE THESE THEY ARE AWFUL) filter are HUGE! so you cant just go put ANY filter in and assume you'll get the same filtration!
OK, I see your point. Buyer should take some time to learn about different filters materials and don't buy the cheapest filter. But I take that still only as a warning. But the DIY is still valuable and worth doing. I still think that you can get the same, if not better material, from Home Depot and come out saving money. Sure, you can get really cheap (bad) filter material too and that is maybe not a good idea. But at least DIYer should have examined the specs on the filter package and saw the gajillion other filters next to it in the store with the fancier packaging and marketing and known exactly what they were missing by cheaping out.

So along those lines, I would claim that even if you get a cabin air filter sold as a car part, there are some that use worse filter material and some better(which tend to show up as price differences). And these come from big name part brands too. Don't think that just because it says made for a car that you are getting somehow some different special filter material (even if it's labeled as "OEM"). Moreover, the cabin filter material description is nowhere as detailed as for home filters, so you have no idea exactly what kind of material you are getting until it shows up (if you order online), and even then, you have to take a guess based on your eye and you can't know for sure what it really is.

Last edited by raytseng; 06-28-08 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 02:06 PM
quickex99
Lead Lap

Do you have the advance part number for this? Is it a fram filter? Thanks!
Old 09-08-08, 07:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

here is a link to it. but in case it doesn't work here is the info. Purolator Cabin Air Filter
Part Number: C35518

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...ype=10&PTSet=A
Old 09-08-08, 08:52 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want to use fiberglass filters correct?
Old 09-08-08, 10:49 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

man i need to change mine!
Old 09-08-08, 02:31 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
You don't want to use fiberglass filters correct?
correct. u wanna use a carbon activated or charcoal filter. if u gonna be a cheapskate AT LEAST use a mono pleat or pleated filter. i just recommend spending the extra 10 and getting the carbon one from advance or where ever around you has them. not worth it to cheap out on this one
Old 11-17-08, 01:36 PM
rnsand6kds
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa! Check out my dirty filter compared to what I'm throwing in there. ebay filter $15 delivered
Attached Thumbnails DIY cabin air filter with LOTS OF PIX-img_2503.jpg  
Old 11-17-08, 02:50 PM
rnsand6kds
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Oh yeah, Car was 8 years old. Just bought it. I guess regular maintenance items might have been overlooked. I'd better bone up on my DIY skills.
Old 11-17-08, 11:02 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

they dont look the same

i found a cheap place to buy 2GS cabin filters from or any Lexus cabin filters for that matter
look up seller "aircabinman" (without the quotes)
no sense in making DIY filters anymore with his prices
lol
$8.9 + $3.xx shipping to canada
Old 11-17-08, 11:27 PM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
they dont look the same

i found a cheap place to buy 2GS cabin filters from or any Lexus cabin filters for that matter
look up seller "aircabinman" (without the quotes)
no sense in making DIY filters anymore with his prices
lol
$8.9 + $3.xx shipping to canada
Thanks for that, i just ordered mine.
Old 11-18-08, 07:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

make sure they are carbon activated. better filtration and wont smell oddly like a dirty sock shoved in the vent. i clean or change mine every few months........just like my engine filter and my homes a/c filter. no sense in making these systems work so much harder by NOT cleaning them

Quick Reply: DIY cabin air filter with LOTS OF PIX