GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best Front Clip To Buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 08:34 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Front Clip To Buy

Hello,
I had a minor accident on the highway yesterday. A large metal object resembling an engine block fell from the back of a truck in front of me. I made the decision not to drive over it, because to do so would have damaged the entire undercarriage. So I swerved to the left quickly and just nicked this object. The object hit the side bumper and sheared off the side marker light first.. Next, the front tire exploded on impact, and dinged the rim slightly. Then the object dented the fender behind the wheel and sliced the passenger door slightly. I have the stock 16 inch Lexus rims in chrome.

I did a search before asking this question, but didn't find much. I have a Burnished Gold 99 GS4, so what would be the best way to fix this? I am not ready to modify the entire car, so an aftermarket front clip would probably look strange with a stock rear and side wouldn't it? Does anyone have a stock front bumper for sale? A burnished Gold one would be easier, but since it has to be painted anyway, any color would be fine.

Does anyone have an idea what a new stock front clip would cost? How about the aftermarket ones? Who makes the aftermarket clips most people use here? I am sure the door and right fender can be repaired without replacement. I have the option to fix it myself or charge it against my insurance. Unfortunately, my agent said that if I filed it against the insurance company, my rates woould probably double for 3 years. For me, that would be an extra 4200.00 over that time period. The agent also said that since the object did not fall DIRECTLY ON my car, law says that it is a moving violation, and chargeable as an accident. That sounds ridiculous to me.

Any comments or suggestions from those with experience would be welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited by gserep1; 11-22-05 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-23-05, 06:08 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me guess, the guy in the truck didn't stop? Your agent sounds a little shady but each State has it's own laws. I had something similar happen to me a few years back, difference was that a rear tire off a dually pickup came off and crunched my car. Insurance covered it with no questions asked. Did you call the police and have a report filed?
Old 11-23-05, 07:11 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I did. I have the report and the California Highway Patrol removed the item from the road. I think I will pursue the insurance angle closer and see what I can find out. I get great rates, but what good is it if you need something and they threaten raising rates as a way of scaring you off?

I am buying a new chrome 16 inch rim for $266.00, and my tire is covered under a road hazard agreement. All of that is still cheaper than my $500.00 deductible anyway.

I'll get a few pictures today and post them later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-23-05, 07:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

gse,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

What pieces do you think you need to replace? Front bumper, but also the front fender? Bumpers could be done with an aftermarket kit and something mild like a RMM or L-sportline wouldn't look too out of place, but put a WTB in the classifieds if you want a stock one.

Fenders aren't part of most kits, so you're definitely back to looking for OEM there.