GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: how much $ have you spent on your GS?
$2k and under
28.30%
$3k to $6k
25.44%
$6k to $10k
15.74%
$10k to $15k
11.45%
$15k to $20k
6.84%
$20k to $30k
5.56%
$30k to $40k
1.75%
$40k+ (I am afraid to know the exact amount)
4.93%
Voters: 629. You may not vote on this poll

how much have you guys spent on your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 05:10 AM
QuikLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spent just under $10k on mods in the month and a half that I've owned the car.
Old 06-23-05, 06:08 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Wow this is not a good thread early in the morning. lol
Anywho I am right around $20k but boy is it all worth it huh?
Old 06-23-05, 06:15 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tod071
maybe this should be another poll, but how many of you bought your car brand new vs used/cpo and then put the mods.
25K CPO + 20K mods = 45K total investment
50K New + 20K mods = TOTALLY INSANE!!!
ok how bout i bought my gs430 in may of 04
34k + 45k mods +??????? new project comin gnext month= damn i shouldnt of added this up!
Old 06-23-05, 07:59 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
well i do all my own installs and my figure is still up there
Of course it is! lol The more you save, the more you get to spend! It's killer.

I think i am in the 13K range depressing!

John
Old 06-23-05, 08:36 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
Erick, why in the hell did you start this poll? Do you realize that if our g/f's or wives read this, we all would be dead meat... My car would be a rolling fireball on 20's..haha

Sorry Bro I was just wondering

funny thing is that when I bought my car I told my self that all I was going to do was put 20's on it and thats it and then I found CL
Old 06-23-05, 11:50 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Enough....

and i still havnt even decided if im even going to buy another GS yet...

but you always gotta be prepared.
Old 06-23-05, 02:02 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's strange this thread came up- just yesterday I had an offer to buy my car. I told the guy "anything is for sale for the right price..."
He asked me to think about a price, and he would call me next week to see if we could work something out. I wasn't really planning to sell it, but money talks! This would be a daily thumper for his wife - hey, the guy drives an '05 Rolls Royce Phantom- money isn't much of an issue for him, I guess.

Then I got to thinking about what it would cost me to duplicate the car...
If you consider retail price, the number is staggering. I started to itemize things, but thought better of it. Counting ONLY what is on the car at this moment, I am around $25K in mods.

Holy crap.

Thankfully, I am not married.
Old 06-23-05, 02:28 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went back and actually started adding up parts.....now IM disgusted!! I dont even know where i came up with that much cash???
Old 06-23-05, 04:39 PM
VeilSideGS3
Lexus Test Driver

I've spent way too much on both my cars
Old 06-23-05, 05:38 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

More than some, less than others....some time in the future I'll add more JP products, Admiration front bumper and skirts, trunk redesign, Tein CS/EDFC and swap out the Alpine for Eclipse NAV/Hard Drive/DVD player.

Originally Posted by LEXISM
Sorry Bro I was just wondering

funny thing is that when I bought my car I told my self that all I was going to do was put 20's on it and thats it and then I found CL
I said the same thing!!!! "Just rims and a drop" I think was my exact phrase!

Last edited by TwentyTen; 06-23-05 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-23-05, 06:50 PM
TANGLOLEXO
Rookie

Default Caltrans Orange Lexus

Well I Have Spent 25k On Just A Freakn Paint Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont Have Many Motor Modes But Car Sure Looks Good!! Anyone Able To Make Me A Sig So People Can See My Lovely Orange Who Ride!! Ill Send Emails??
Yeah I Know No Charger No Tt But What The Hell Right???
20" Ld1's
2 15's Cerwin Vega Subs
All Alpine Tv's Eq/ Computer
Rod Intake Jet Remap
Phillips Hid Head Lights And Fogs
Rod Exhaust High Flow Cats
God I Need More Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-05, 07:58 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
I went back and actually started adding up parts.....now IM disgusted!! I dont even know where i came up with that much cash???
so thats where a chunk of my checking account went to , have you been hacking my computer jeff
Old 06-23-05, 08:16 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Default Stock Schmock

Man, you guys are crazy 20-25K on mods just blows my mind. My main goal was to just pay off my 2000 GS 400 Plat Ed. I never even truly thought about doing any aftermarket stuff until recently. But now that I think about it, the mod thing is very addictive. I'm currently in the below 2K group. (I will receive my SRT intake on Monday, just received my TRD Strut tower for the front, installed a new Alpine Amp along with a JBL Audio 10W3 and XM. Everything will be installed next week when I'm doing the big 90K service with timing belt change). Will be ordering new 18 inch rims within 2 months if not 1 month. Probably will look to get the 2006 OEM 18's that Chuck just got if possible.
So within a month, I've fallen in that black hole and feel like really I haven't touched anything if I were really serious about it. Although I couldn't get myself to really put that much extra into an older car, I would probably go after a new one. Although, the cars I've seen on the post are absolutely beautiful and can tell people have spent some money, but man that's a lot of money to put into a car. I guess now that I'm becoming more educated about what's really out there, makes me think Stock Schmock.
Old 06-23-05, 08:18 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyt01nc
Man, you guys are crazy 20-25K on mods just blows my mind. My main goal was to just pay off my 2000 GS 400 Plat Ed. I never even truly thought about doing any aftermarket stuff until recently. But now that I think about it, the mod thing is very addictive. I'm currently in the below 2K group. (I will receive my SRT intake on Monday, just received my TRD Strut tower for the front, installed a new Alpine Amp along with a JBL Audio 10W3 and XM. Everything will be installed next week when I'm doing the big 90K service with timing belt change). Will be ordering new 18 inch rims within 2 months if not 1 month. Probably will look to get the 2006 OEM 18's that Chuck just got if possible.
So within a month, I've fallen in that black hole and feel like really I haven't touched anything if I were really serious about it. Although I couldn't get myself to really put that much extra into an older car, I would probably go after a new one. Although, the cars I've seen on the post are absolutely beautiful and can tell people have spent some money, but man that's a lot of money to put into a car. I guess now that I'm becoming more educated about what's really out there, makes me think Stock Schmock.
i hear ya man but with these beloved gs cars they are like a fine wine as they age they get better i just cant get enough of this car even after it being almost 6 years new
Old 06-23-05, 08:34 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default Krazy

I will be honest, I think I have been lucky on buying the items for my car. I think some people get prayed upon when paying people to do things for them. I have friends and associates in the auto body business. Paint type does matter when doing three stage paints and other different colors. But some prices for paint and installs are crazy. I don't know how some people have spent 40k on there car, unless 1 off custom turbo death kit. Man ohh man our cars look nice when compared to almost anything on the road though.

Quick Reply: how much have you guys spent on your GS?