GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY: Retrofit Altezza pedals into your GS/Aristo

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-05, 03:50 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY: Retrofit Altezza pedals into your GS/Aristo

This morning I decided to swap out my old/weary sedan-y aristo pedals with the metal Altezza pedals with the hanging-type gas pedal. I got the idea from a Japanese website of a guy who did the same thing. Since I didn't take any pictures of the process except the final outcome, I will just steal the pics from his website. Anyway, here's the DIY if you guys are also interested in doing it:

1. Open your hood, and look for your throttle cable. Unhook it. I'm not sure how it works on US cars, but on mine, you have to depress the circular thingy that's holding the throttle wire all the way back so the cable becomes loose. Then all you need to do is just pull out the little hammer thingy and the whole cable is undone.

2. After you unhook the cable, make sure you clip it onto something else (like this guy uses a jumper cable). I followed him. The purpose is so you won't yank too hard from inside the car when trying to install the new pedals. Honestly, the hammer would have prevented the cable from getting pulled too far, but this is just precaution.

3. Inside the footwell, you will see where the other end of the throttle cable is. It is connected to your gas pedal via a small circular holder. You need to twist and pull on this circular holder, very much like if you want to change your turn signal bulbs. Once the circular holder is loose, the whole cable assembly can be removed from the gas pedal metal bar.

4. On the same picture above, you want to unbolt the 2 bolts holding the gas pedal. These same bolts position will be used by the new Altezza pedals. After you remove the bolts, all you need to do is to pull the gas pedal towards you. It will seem like it's not giving way, but it will. Just keep pulling towards you and the gas pedal will be removed from its floor holder. After the whole old gas pedal assembly has been removed, you want to remove the excess gas pedal holder from the floor. You won't need it anymore as you will be replacing it with the hanging-type altezza gas pedal. Oh, by the way, make sure you take off the floor carpet as all this happens UNDER the carpet.

5. Install the new pedal the same way going backward. Start by bolting in the 2 bolts taken from the old pedal. Put in the cable and reinstall/twist the cable holder to hold the throttle cable back in place. You will notice the new position is slightly off to the right but this does not affect performance whatsoever. I drove around and it was fine.

Here's the new pedal on the left and the old Aristo pedal on the right:

Here are the parts that you will need to get from the Lexus dealership (around $125):

And here are pictures from my car after the conversion. The whole thing took less than 1/2 hour. The hardest part was removing the cable holder from the old pedal under your dash. I had no idea that you have to twist it to remove it. I was yanking at it will all my might and it just won't budge!

Old 05-01-05, 04:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Nice writeup Jon, thanks!
Old 05-01-05, 05:52 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

That's pretty nice. These pedals are complete replacements right?

I think this gives the interior a nice sporty look.

-Fernando
Old 05-01-05, 06:07 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DjFergi
That's pretty nice. These pedals are complete replacements right?

I think this gives the interior a nice sporty look.

-Fernando
Yes, they have very minor differences. But indeed they bolt right in. I really like the minimalist look the pedals give compared to the old bulky Aristo gas pedal.

And we don't need to find aftermarket replacement pedals for them either because these are already metal and standard OEM toyota item too!!
Old 05-01-05, 07:18 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats hot

edit: this whole time i thuoght ur car was MT

Last edited by joshoowa; 05-01-05 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-01-05, 07:41 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

That looks great Jon!!!
Awesome DIY mod.
Old 05-01-05, 07:52 AM
dmodstl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
This morning I decided to swap out my old/weary sedan-y aristo pedals with
Thanks for the great DIY write-up. I also learned a new word- 'sedan-y'. Double Bonus.
Old 05-01-05, 08:05 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joshoowa
thats hot

edit: this whole time i thuoght ur car was MT
Nah, bro. They never put the V160 6mt transmission into our cars (even the Aristos). Too bad, eh?
Old 05-01-05, 03:13 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default possible part number

some dealerships could mess up a order, do you have the part numbers,,,this is a must do!
Old 05-01-05, 05:57 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

I like it I was going to try the IS 300 pedal kit cost is aroun $200 US dollars for this mod gas,brake, and dead pedal.
Old 05-01-05, 06:43 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
some dealerships could mess up a order, do you have the part numbers,,,this is a must do!
I think it's best if you ask someone local or if you print out these pictures and show them to your lexus dealership. My parts numbers won't be applicable to you since they are a Toyota Altezza part number.... (not lexus IS).
Old 05-02-05, 02:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very nice stuff jon, informative!!!! i think it's a good mod for all gs ownes who want their cars to look sporty :0
Old 05-02-05, 04:52 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
very nice stuff jon, informative!!!! i think it's a good mod for all gs ownes who want their cars to look sporty :0
Ha! I was actually going for the minimalist look. Don't you notice how big and clunky the stock aristo pedals are....
Old 05-02-05, 10:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
Ha! I was actually going for the minimalist look. Don't you notice how big and clunky the stock aristo pedals are....
haha but the gs ones aren't shiny
Old 05-03-05, 08:05 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

But shiny is niiiiiice....

Quick Reply: DIY: Retrofit Altezza pedals into your GS/Aristo