GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ode to the 2nd gen GS!! The king is dead, long live the king!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 07:10 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great repies guys, sometimes you think your the only one that remembers stupid little things like "the first time you saw one", or the "feeling of making the deal". Its good to know I'm not alone!!

Someone made a great comment about a sense of community, I truly think that were it not for ClubLexus, 45-50% of us would not even own these cars!!!

Great point!
Old 02-04-05, 11:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I saw an article on a 2005 test drive of the GS 2nd gen and got to thinking "this maybe the last road test of the 2nd gen GS".

I got all teary eyed.

The 3rd gen GS debuts March 1st, in less than a month. I figure lets start a thread giving our best story of the Gs, the 1st time we saw it etc. This car draws a lot of emotion from many owners and non-owners. This was the car that showed Lexus could make a performance sedan alternative to the Germans. It's been a tremendous success here and worldwide.

History:
The 1st gen GS was brought here in Fall 92 as a 93 model. It was designed by Guigario (one of the top Italian designers) and was slotted between the ES entry level and LS flagship. The GS was to be the sporty sedan Lexus. In Japan the car could be had with the 2JZ I-6 that we got AND they got a TT version of that engine. Lexus only gave us the 225hp I-6 version. The GS was also much bigger in dimensions than its German rivals, the E and 5 series. It was 194 inches long with a 109-inch wheelbase (I believe). The E and 5 were around 188 inches in length with just as long a wheelbase. The GS had much larger overhangs than the other 2. Finally, the yen started trading unfavorably, the GS was the 1st Lexus NOT priced several thousand dollars below rivals. The GS also had a very small trunk; the gas tank was behind the rear seats ala the SC 300/400. Add those things up and the 1st gen GS was a good car but not great. They sold 20k GS 300s in 1993 and sales fell to a rumored 197 units in 1997. The 1st gen GS was a solid car, always tops in reliability in class, it was sporty for a Lexus (18" wheels were an option in Europe) but too much mass and no V-8 option hurt its image some. This car was another Lexus embraced by the hip hop community, mentioned in lyrics and seen in videos. The styling is timeless.

Lexus though, never swings the bat twice and hits two doubles in a row. Lexus hits home runs.

A few things happened during development time. The stock market heated up!! It was a time where it seems millionaires were made daily. BMW got hot. People wanted hot and sexy cars, no matter if they were or the image portrayed that. BMW became very hot as it was the sporty luxury brand. Benz was seen as a car for old-timers. Yuppies were back in vogue. Also the 1997 GS 300 got a new 5 speed automatic in its final year. This helped dropped over a second from 0-60 times. This was the new tranny almost all Lexus would soon use.

Lexus began development of the 2nd gen GS with all eyes on taking on/out the 5/E class. They learned many lessons with the 1st gen. This was to be a true, global competitor.

It was shown a few months on the show circuit as the "HPS" High Performance Sedan. No one knew it was identical to the production car. Only the wheels changed (the wider 5 spokes were changed for thinner ones).
1. Size. The 2nd gen GS SHRUNK in length, 189 inches long with a longer 110 inch wheelbase. This was the 1st Japanese sports sedan with euro dimensions.
2. Interior. In addition, interior room grew!! How'd they do that? The longer wheelbase and new swooping roofline allowed more room. The gauges were recessed with 3 bins, very sporty. The steering wheel was a 3 spoke, which sports cars had. The wood was also all new, never had a car had the wood up the panel like the GS did in the center console. Real wood adorned all 4 doors. Leather was top notch, as was quiet in the car.
3. Trunk size grew 20%! How? They moved the gas tank from behind the seats to under the seats. So you now have a smaller car with more room.
4. Technology. New top of the line NAV systems. Self leveling HIDs added. The CD player was moved from the trunk to the glove box. E-shft gave you the option to shift from the steering wheel, optitron gauges were a worlds 1st.
5. Design. This was big. The 2nd Gen GS had to be the anti-lexus! It had to be the Lexus that was the black sheep in the family. Lexus designers used the SC for inspiration with the front end, using the split headlights theme. This was also used in the rear, another car first. It was instantly recognizable front and rear. The look was taunt, stretched fenders, creases above the front and rear wheel wheels show tension. The car was also not two-tone, but a one tone Lexus. The trunk was very short, the hood long. The roofline is now one of the most imitated, curving instead of flat. To keep the family resemblance, the c-pillar was kept some from the 1st gen, the door cut out is the same but the black out treatment gives it an illusion of being bigger.
Little known fact: The GS window design was made to imitate the "L" emblem. The curvature is the same in the rear.
6. Performance. The GS 300 replacement was known to becoming but the automotive press had NO IDEA a GS 400 was coming!! The GS 300 had 220hp but with the new 5 speed auto was the fastest GS 300 yet. The car also handled better than ever due to a renewed suspension with the Germans in mind. The GS 400 though, was an absolute shocker. 300hp, 310lbs torque, 0-60 in less than 6 seconds all day long. It was the fastest production automatic sedan (which Lexus used in its ads). The car also handled as well as a Japanese luxury sports sedan could get. Almost on par with German feel. Lexus still worked out a way to keep its renowned ride. Braking was also near or tops in class. Many thought the brakes were some of the best offered.
7. Marketing "Something Wicked this Way Comes"!! Remember that? Lexus had a marketing blitz with the new GS, something it did not do with the 1st car.
8. Accolades, when it was all said and done, the GS was a darling of the automotive press.
A. Either won or placed 1st or 2nd in initial comparisons (GS 300 AND GS 400)
B. Import car of the Year
C. 10 Best Winner
D. Chosen 15th in Motor Trend as the most desirable vehicles in 50 years!
E. In addition, it kept its top spot for quality in JD Power. The sound system was also rated one of the worlds best (Nakamichi).

8. People. The SC did have its enthusiasts but the GS simply multiplied this number. This car was also a hit in Japan (The Toyota Aristo) and the aftermarket responses in kind). This car drew to it the usual Lexus customers, but a new BREED, who dug performance and wanted to modify their vehicle. Looking at Clublexus, the 2nd gen Forum has the most views/posts/replies etc. It is the backbone of the site. No 2nd gen GS, this site would be totally different.

The GS is now 7 years old and still looks striking and new. It is a well respected sports luxury sedan worldwide. Sales are down as every competitor in this segment except the Jag S-type is new. The time has come for its newer brother to extend on all the values the 1st and 2nd gens have.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The GS was such a success, Nissan basically designed all its new sedans using the GS as a mold. It also encouraged Nissan and Acura to offer sporting Japanese luxury sedans that take the Germans on head-on, since people will buy them. You can find GS inner taillights on a number of modded Hondas and whole front end conversions on cars. The optitron gauges were copied as the wood going up the console.

So farewell to a grand friend, you will be missed. And you will live on through our members at Clublexus and all the new buyers looking to purchase a used GS at a great price, finally putting their dream car in their hands.

Thanks to the "O.G's" who bought their GS first and modded them correctly, showing us all the light.

"The King is dead, long live the King"!!!!
I am going to cry, I love my gs400.
Old 02-04-05, 02:09 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

1st gen GS
I have to be honest, when I first saw the first gen GS300, it didn't do much for me. I thought it was too big and bulky looking. I was completely neutral towards it.

2nd gen GS
The 2nd gen on the other hand was a completely different story. I first read and saw pics of it in the Car and Driver magazine that came out in late 97 and I was instantly smitten!! It was love at first sight!! Not only was the car so beautiful, that 300HP was the bomb!!!

At that time I had just gotten my first job ( about a year earlier) as the Network Administrator at the first (and last) company I worked for Becton Dickinson. I vowed that one day I would buy one in my favorite color - Spectra Blue!

I don't remember when I actually saw it for the first time in the flesh, but it did not seem to matter anyway, my mind was made up just by reading that magazine article. I wanted one so badly!

I waited about three more years till November 2000 when I needed to get a second car as my wife needed to have a car of her own. So we went car shopping for my dream car. Alas, I could not find one within my budget. All the 99's (I did not want to get a 98 because of the potential problems that might have existed in the first year run of this car) were about $15K more than I could afford.

So I ended up with my second choice (the car that Lexus copied a bit from the front) - a 96 MB E320. I loved that car for its silence and the feeling of driving behind the 3 pointed star. For me that was a big deal back then.

I drove that car for two years and then finally in November of 2002 the price of a 99 GS400 had dropped to the low 40's and I could finally afford one!! In the meanwhile, I had driven a 2001 MB E55 AMG and I really liked that car, but when it came time to replace my E320, the price of the GS was $42K and a 2000 E55 AMG (I did not like the body kit on the 99 E55 AMG) was going for $55K. So I thought to myself, I will get the GS400 and perhaps later get an E55 AMG.

I have not looked back since! I discovered ClubLexus a week before I bought my car and did some research on it, found out about the L-tuned suspension pieces and some other L-tuned stuff and actually asked the dealer I bought it from how much a couple of the parts were and was contemplating getting some of the parts installed before I picked up the car. However, my budget would not permit that. Good thing! I learned more about the car meanwhile.

Believe it or not, I did not even look at the car before I bought it.! I called the dealer - they were about 2 hours away. My criteria was very simple for picking any GS400.

1. I wanted a spectra blue one
2. I had already made up my mind that I would buy one from a Lexus dealer and not a used car dealer. Less risky.
3. The mileage had to be around 50K Km (or 31K miles)
4. Documented service records had to be provided (and service had to have been carried out as per the recommended manufacturer schedule)
5. It was not to have been involved in an accident
6. A one owner car
7. It had to be a 1999 model

I was able to satisfy every single requirement above except the color. The deal was completed over the phone and then I drove down a couple of days later on the weekend and picked up the car! In fact this car was actually sold to a Doctor by the same dealer and the doctor traded it in for a new GS430 when his lease was up. The doctor had done all the service required at the same dealer. The car had a history since new at the same dealer I bought it from and that meant a lot to me!

What an amazing car! To this day, I am awed and amazed at this amazing machine! It never ceases to bring a smile to my face.

Of course CL has been very instrumental in making my car that much more desirable to me - all the mods I have done were primarily because of recommendations of the seasoned members here! Kudos to CL and all its great members.

3rd Gen GS
I will certainly NOT be buying a third gen GS. It looks very ugly and I was very very dissappointed when I saw it at the Detriot auto show two weekends ago. The technology is amazing, but the exterior styling seems to have been done by an electrical engineer how knows how to draw some straight lines and a few not so straight lines. It looks like a toned down version of the Chris Bangled 5 series (mainly the front).
Old 02-05-05, 11:23 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to share with you guys:

THE 2ND GEN. GS RULES!!!!!
Old 02-05-05, 08:09 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

I was a junior in college when the 2nd Gen launched, and I remember thinking Lexus had finally built the car for me.
Out of college, I couldn't afford one, so I owned two Camrys until I bought my GS430 in May.

Ten months, twenty-thousand miles, and four-points-on-my-license later, I'm so happy!

The four commercials:

Distant thunder, cold as stone,
A V8 screams down from its throne.
One by one, each car succumbs.
Something wicked this way comes.

Ill winds mark its fearsome flight,
And autumn branches creak with fright.
The landscape turns to ashen crumbs,
When something wicked this way comes.

Crystal water turns to dark,
Where e'er its presence leaves its mark,
And boiling currents pound like drums,

A presence dark invades the fair,
And gives the horses ample scare,
For chaos reigns and panic numbs,

Oh...and I love having you guys to share these unhealthy feelings.

Last edited by jonathancl; 02-08-05 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 11:26 PM
gawd
Pole Position

Wow, such great stories. I thought I'd chime in, the first time I saw the 2nd gen GS was at Dave and Busters. A close friend had just pruchased a pearl white 400 and brought it up,so the rest of the crew could see. I do admit, at first I wasn't that smitten with the GS. It's lines were sexy, but in a very conservative fashion. It wasn't until I saw the car in actionbefore Irealized that this was definitely the car for me. On a side note, the deal sealer was watching the GS400 hold it's own through 2 gears in the passenger seat of a stock Supra TT and consequently explaining to the officer why we were doing 75 in a 35mph zone

Fast foward to 2000 when I purchased my GS400, I have to say that this definitely has been the best car I've owned so far.....
Old 02-09-05, 07:37 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

cant beileive i missed this thread...

the stories were GREAT...

the first time i saw a lexus GS and actaully noticed it

i was at blockbuster when i had my C5 vette... i walked out side and some guy was walkin tot he car and rolled the windows down with the remote !!!!!!!! i was like WOW ... lol.. funny now that i look back but it had a kit and wheels and was slammed.. lookin tight!...
when igot home i did a search on cardomain.com saw a clublexus linkl and came over to the site..
thats when i saw BLUELEX's car and fell in love.. i sold the vette about 2 months later and ended up buyin a expoedition ....... i had it about 8 months and sold it to buy my first 00 GS300.... i loved the car and sold it in march of 04 to get my GS430... the GS rules..
Old 02-09-05, 08:05 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it was a really easy choice. I came back to Asia and was hunting for a car. I already knew about the GS400's prowess before I left and my best friend's dad back in college drove one. It was green, it was stock and honestly to a boy-racer (yes, yes, even I was one), there was nothing about it that I could possibly like. Then I somehow ended up having to hitch a ride from him to go to school one day and I fell in love with the beige leather, the beautiful nav, the simple elegance and astute calmness about the whole car - what a far cry from my rattly, creaky, nasty, angry, single-turbo VW GTi. Oh my God, I've gotta get me one of those when I come home (back to Indonesia).

So, fast forward a couple of years, and I was back in Indonesia. To my dismay, there's no lexus dealership here. In fact, lexus doesn't exist here. Then I found out, the GS is actually called an Aristo here and one can get them through parallel grey import dealerships. Sure, the manual is in Japanese, all the buttons and airbag warning labels are in Japanese, but I was PLEASANTLY surprised when I popped open the hood and I found a 2JZ-GTE engine in it, the same exact one (sans the vvti) that my best friend drove back in the US and laid the smack down on most everything on the street.

Oh yea, this is definitely the car for me.
Old 02-09-05, 09:44 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
already knew about the GS400's prowess before I left and my best friend's dad back in college drove one.
I was PLEASANTLY surprised when I popped open the hood and I found a 2JZ-GTE engine in it, the same exact one (sans the vvti) that my best friend drove back in the US and laid the smack down on most everything on the street.
I'm confused Jon. Did your best friend have a different car? Or are you talking about his dad's 400?
Old 02-10-05, 05:51 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If there are any specific 2nd gen questions, please ask them!
who were the original O.G's on cl that were the first to mod there car ?? and do you have any pics of the first modded gs's on cl ????
Old 02-10-05, 06:33 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
who were the original O.G's on cl that were the first to mod there car ?? and do you have any pics of the first modded gs's on cl ????
shawn for the first time .. i will say what a good question..
BUT i bed it had spinners.. lol.. JK
Old 02-12-05, 08:32 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
There are alot of guys that are not even here anymore, here's just a few though:

GSTRANCE
RI-GS4
BANANASGS
DREWGS4
ERICKG
JACOB T

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 02-12-05 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-19-05, 08:47 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
There are alot of guys that are not even here anymore, here's just a few though:

GSTRANCE
RI-GS4
BANANASGS
DREWGS4
ERICKG
JACOB T
DrewGS4 is posted on this thread
Jacob T is still around he posted just yesterday
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151729
Old 02-21-05, 11:10 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The end of a great era...but thank goodness.....it is time for the new GS......return of exclusivity......i just hate having the same car as every other kid in the country...and a lot of them mod them inappropriately....
Old 03-02-05, 08:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I looked at and test drove the first gen GS in the early 90's but I felt that while beautiful it was overpriced and underpowered. I got a rare Legend 6spd manual instead but got tired of stick in Atlanta's hellish traffic in the late 90s. I had seen the 'GS = gutsy sonofagun' article and others when the 2nd gen first came out and was VERY interested, always wanting to one day own a RWD V8 car (no substitute for V8 torque - except maybe the future coming wave of hybrids or a good diesel).

I ordered a 2000 silver GS400 with navigation and it was in the dealer (off the truck) all of 2 hours before I picked it up. All they did was wash it. It had about 1 mile on the clock I think. I drove it home and had a HUGE grin on my face all the way.

After 5 years I can say it's been a terrific car. I've had a few ups and downs with the mods but the car really looks, goes and handles better than ever now and I'm very happy with it. It's an amazing feat of packaging because it's about 6 inches shorter than my old Legend but ROOMIER! I plan to keep it a few more years at least although I expect to have to put some good money into maintenance at some point. At this point if I was going to step up I'd go to a 997S probably instead of a 3rd gen GS, mainly because I'm not that interested in going through the mod adventure again and wouldn't be satisfied with a stock GS.

Quick Reply: Ode to the 2nd gen GS!! The king is dead, long live the king!!!