GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

easiest way to remove factory rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 07:13 PM
mrk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easiest way to remove factory rear spoiler

as titled states.. pictures and/ or intructions would be great.. thanks
Old 12-22-04, 07:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i believe if you remove the turnk lid lining, you will see al lthe bolts and stuff to remove the spoiler, it's not hard

the problem is that you will be left with some holes to fill...
Old 12-22-04, 08:32 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

What are you planning on doing with the spoiler? If you're selling it, I'm interested. Please shoot me a PM.

e-man
Old 12-22-04, 10:24 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have the time right now to write a whole detailed DIY..but just wanted to let you know that your spoiler is attached to your trunk via BRACKETS...which are RIVITED to your trunk... NO LIP SPOILER WILL COVER ALL OF YOUR HOLES LEFT BEHIND...NONE! you will have 5 holes in total, 1 hole about an inch wide for your brake light wires to go through...

if you plan on taking off your spoiler and you are not confident you can do it cleanly...id advise leaving it to a professional....getting the brackets off your trunk is a total PAIN because of the rivits... its not just a matter of unscrewing things..and there really is no use in removing the trunk liner either...theres no bolts that are visible or that you can get to...cause there are none!...its rivited!

Last edited by AlphaJZS; 12-23-04 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-23-04, 12:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

huh really?! man i must have gotten the wrong info before then @_@
Old 12-23-04, 01:28 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, all the aftermarket and OEM spoiler kits go on with bolts.
Old 12-23-04, 07:03 PM
mrk
Driver School Candidate

im not sure if i want to sell the spoiler, the reason why i want to take it off is because its kinda loose. can i get some more discriptive details on how to remove it? i see no bolts what so ever... what tools do i use and how.
Old 12-24-04, 05:02 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

You need to remove the trunk lid liner to expose the bolts that secure the spoiler. If it's (the spoiler) loose you most likely just need to tighten them. I believe there are (4) bolts total (2 per side).

Good luck . . .
Old 12-24-04, 07:53 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are NO BOLTS to remove from the inside of the trunk lid liner PEOPLE !

First off there is NO ez way to remove the factory spoiler.

1. Open the trunk lid and pull off the cover underneath each end of the spoiler. I don't mean the cover inside the trunk. These are the covers on both sides of the spoiler that you can see from underneath when you pop open the trunk.

2. You will see two bolts, remove those.

3. Now pull the hell outta the spoiler cause it also has double stick tape holding it down.

4. Once removed, there will be a bracket remaining on the lid that has two rivets per side. Use a 3/16 drill bit to drill out the rivets and the brackets will be ready for removal..

5. There is also a square plug that must be pried up once the rivets are drilled out. The brackets will then come off.

Now you will have three holes on the right and four holes on the left, that will need to be plugged with bondo and painted over.

As Panda said already, this is not a simple DIY .

We removed the factory spoiler and filled the holes on Jawnthen's car a while ago, so I will look for more pics.

If there is something loose, hopefully it is the bolts from step #1, cause performing all the other steps will only make the spoiler that much looser and more work to re-install.

Good Luck.

From the picture below, you can see the cover that needs to be removed from the spoiler and has two bolts located inside. You can also see the black bracket that is attached to the deck lid. The two holes visible on that bracket are where the rivets are located. You can also see the white snap on plug that holds the bracket to the deck lid. It snaps into a square hole in the deck lid. You can also see the black double stick tape around the edge of the spoiler.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-24-04 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-25-04, 02:51 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

So Glen, when you buy and instal a spoiler, even a factory original, on a car that did not come factory equipped with a spoiler: the installation is never the same as from the factory? Is that right? What is the function of the bracket that is riveted to the trunk lid? If you buy a factory spoiler , say from Sewell or Carson, will you get the bracket for mounting only it will not be riveted to the trunk?
Old 12-25-04, 03:03 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think the bracket comes with the OEM spoiler, but you never know if that part has to be ordered separately if you bought it from the dealer. The bracket is basically the part that is secured to the trunk lid. The spoiler itself is secured to the bracket with two bolts per side. There is also double sided tape that the spoiler has between it and the deck lid. It's probably there to eliminate vibration sounds.

I 'll bet the aftermarket knock offs probably do have either bolts that go from the inside and/or double stick tape, but if you bought an OEM from someone, they should supply the bracket since it is of no use.

You would then need to drill the holes in order to rivet the bracket to your car. Good luck aligning both sides, though. A template of the stock holes would be best if you could get someone to do that for ya off of their de-spoilered car. Maybe the dealer has a template available when they sell the OEM spoiler, who knows ?

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-25-04 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-11-12, 02:49 PM
johnmilina
Driver School Candidate

I agree with mrk. Pictures and instructions would be nice. I have two bolts inside my trunk lid which i removed. Then i took some fishing line and carefully put it between the trunk lid and the spoiler and ran it between the two bolts. The spoiler is still stuck. I am trying to replace the spoiler led lights. Is ther something else holding it in place?
Old 10-12-12, 06:50 AM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnmilina
I agree with mrk. Pictures and instructions would be nice. I have two bolts inside my trunk lid which i removed. Then i took some fishing line and carefully put it between the trunk lid and the spoiler and ran it between the two bolts. The spoiler is still stuck. I am trying to replace the spoiler led lights. Is ther something else holding it in place?
which model GS do you have? if you have bolts inside the trunk lid then it sounds like you have a dealer installed spoiler.
Old 10-12-12, 07:12 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone know how to replace the bulb in the spolier?
Old 10-12-12, 09:21 AM
johnmilina
Driver School Candidate

lexusfam, I HAVE 1992 SC300. THAT SPOILER IS HELD ON REALY TIGHT.

Quick Reply: easiest way to remove factory rear spoiler