GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New mod ... LEDs ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-04, 08:18 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
From what I understand, it doesn't cost all that much (around the price for new 2001+ taillights) and most of the work involved is just screwing the LED panel onto your car bottom right behind the sideskirts. I think it's quite DIY-able.
not when you got two left hands like I do....

and I'm a lefty too
Old 10-26-04, 12:07 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes....its a very simple mod....imo.

Pete
Old 10-26-04, 05:48 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

From what I understand, it doesn't cost all that much (around the price for new 2001+ taillights) and most of the work involved is just screwing the LED panel onto your car bottom right behind the sideskirts. I think it's quite DIY-able.
Depending on what kit you buy, I think a DIY may not be realistic. If you look at the pic I posted of my LED, you have to drill 5 holes (size of a quarter) into your sideskirt on each side. Trying to line up 5 holes is not the issue.. trying to line up 5 holes on a curved sideskirt is a problem. Just about every aftermarket sideskirt may be wavy or have a slight curve to it. I know my Veilside was a PITA to try an line up the lights. It takes a lot of patience to do this mod and if you have a car lift, that's a big bonus. It took my installer 8 hours to do the job... By the way, here is a pic of of what can happen if the lights are crooked... My apologies to the Cl member who's car I'm showing.
Attached Thumbnails New mod ... LEDs ...-25046img_0072-med.jpg  

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 10-26-04 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 07:13 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ken....

You brought up a very good point.

But im think to install just inside the sideskirts....i case i want to swap out....then i won't be selling sideskirts with 5 holes in them.

Pete
Old 10-26-04, 08:29 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how is it that those LEDS are not considered rice when underbody neons are??????

Last edited by Stage3; 10-26-04 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 08:48 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Stage3
how is it that those LEDS are not considered rice when underbody neons are??????
Coz neons lit up like a disco ball even when your car is travelling and hazzardous as they may cause other drivers to be inattentive or temporary blinded. These LEDs only light up the entry way around your car when you open the door or unlock your car through the remote.

Pretty handy when your car is parked in a very dim-lit and dark area.

Old 10-26-04, 08:55 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

personally preference..
personally i dont like this.. but personally i have 2 underbody kits on my car and a *hit load of neons..
Old 10-26-04, 09:02 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Depending on what kit you buy, I think a DIY may not be realistic. If you look at the pic I posted of my LED, you have to drill 5 holes (size of a quarter) into your sideskirt on each side. Trying to line up 5 holes is not the issue.. trying to line up 5 holes on a curved sideskirt is a problem. Just about every aftermarket sideskirt may be wavy or have a slight curve to it. I know my Veilside was a PITA to try an line up the lights. It takes a lot of patience to do this mod and if you have a car lift, that's a big bonus. It took my installer 8 hours to do the job... By the way, here is a pic of of what can happen if the lights are crooked... My apologies to the Cl member who's car I'm showing.
Good call Ken. I've followed up your concerns with Alex, but he told me that the kit that he got isn't even installed on the sideskirts. In fact the LEDs are drilled into a metal or plastic (i can't tell from the pics he showed me) panel and then the panel itself are screwed onto the bottom part of your underbody, right behind the sideskirts. This completely eliminates having to follow the contour of your aftermarket sideskirts, because the underbody beam is the straightest part of the car. I will get Alex to post pics of what I am talking about...

but the guy is so lazy..... just kiddin', Alex.
Old 10-26-04, 09:40 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Good call Ken. I've followed up your concerns with Alex, but he told me that the kit that he got isn't even installed on the sideskirts. In fact the LEDs are drilled into a metal or plastic (i can't tell from the pics he showed me) panel and then the panel itself are screwed onto the bottom part of your underbody, right behind the sideskirts. This completely eliminates having to follow the contour of your aftermarket sideskirts, because the underbody beam is the straightest part of the car. I will get Alex to post pics of what I am talking about...

but the guy is so lazy..... just kiddin', Alex.
Damn, the LEDs are mounted to a panel which you mount to the underbody. That's a much easier way for install. That would eliminate several hours of labor alone. My concern though is that if you mount the panel to the underbody, the lights are going to light up under the car instead of the side. And if you car is lowered, it might make it difficult to see the lights. Again, I guess because my Auto Couture kit is a "Door illumination", the lights need to be under the door.. Anyway, looking through my VIP mags, I see a couple of companies out in Japan making these kits now. With all different colors...

Please have Alex post pics of this kit... I'm curious...
Old 10-26-04, 09:47 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

because, if done correctly, LED's are more subtle and look good to the eye...
Attached Thumbnails New mod ... LEDs ...-pics-577.jpg  
Old 10-26-04, 10:58 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 00lexondub
personally preference..
personally i dont like this.. but personally i have 2 underbody kits on my car and a *hit load of neons..
Agreed, i have the hyper white neons on my car, very well hidden, and do not overly light up the road, but it's still subtle in that they are hidden and truly only light up the surrounding of my car. I agree with others that these look great, but i wouldn't go as far as to call underbody neon kits "ricey". Just my .02

John
Old 10-27-04, 01:20 PM
LMBLF8
Rookie

Wow that REALLY makes the car look more elegant! Not some ricer mod, but a tasteful way to bring out the natural beauty of the GS. Great mod!
Old 10-27-04, 01:34 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Default looks awesome...!

i think it looks pretty hot.. as long as it only turns on unlock open door whatever... do i have the money to do to my car? maybeeee? ... would i do it??? prolly not...

it looks awesome with LXOGOOD's car and panda's car... but with my quest kit, i think its going to clash... the car looks a little to sporty... maybe if i had neons but i don't think im gonna do that....
Old 10-27-04, 02:15 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They have this kit that would make it alot easier and you wouldnt have to drill into your sideskirts

Last edited by GammaLex; 10-27-04 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 02:19 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Gamma.... that was the one thing I was waiting for before I would take the plunge and get these..... ahh man.... too much stuff too little time and certainly too little money!

Quick Reply: New mod ... LEDs ...