GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Real Wood & Leather Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-01, 10:58 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 99 gs4 and I really liked the wood steering wheel on the 01 gs430 and was thinking about getting one like that.

Someone on here had previously asked for a 01 GS430 wood steering wheel and they said it was upwards of $2g.

So I looked into a website referred to me by manaray, http://www.rau-autowood.com/gs400.htm) and I called them up for a price (since its not listed on their site), here is the info I got:

1. You have to remove your factory steering wheel at a reliable auto service shop and get some part of your car that has wood trim on it (so that they know what to match it to) and ship both the steering wheel and the wood trim sample to them.

2. They will then put REAL wood trim on your steering wheel just like it is in the 01 gs430 and match it to the wood trim sample you gave to them and ship both your sample wood trim and your original steering wheel back to you within 2 to 3 weeks.

--- OR ---

1. You simply ship them a wood trim sample (to match color of wood) and they will get one of their stock gs400 steering wheels and put wood on it to make it look like the 01 gs430 steering wheel and ship both the sample wood trim piece and their wood trim steering wheel to you.

2. Then you have to take the steering wheel to a reliable auto service shop and ask for them to switch the wheels out for you.

3. Then you ship them your original gs400 wheel (the one without the wood) back to them.

The cost either way is $1,075 + shipping and any incurable taxes.

Just thought I would let you guys know in case anyone was thinking about it.
Old 04-17-01, 01:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Just in case anyone cares, I can vouch for William Rau's work. It's amazing. My friend's dad is a classic car collector...I'm not talking about Chevy's, I'm talking about Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Jaguars, etc...

He's had some work done there and they looks AWESOME. I've also see the steering wheel work and it look BETTER THAN FACTORY.

Another nice advantage is that you can have the wood done up in any way. You don't have to settle for the "factory" style wheel (wood on top and on each side of the bottom "spoke") You can have the wood just place on the "inside" of the steering wheel (so it's leather on the outside) similiar to the Mercedes style...you can also do different colors (and William Rau will change out all your wood in your car to match, for a price of course)...

Old 04-17-01, 07:26 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nanotech, thanks for the information on the steering wheel from Rau. I am very interested in getting one for my 2000 RX. I have been looking at a company that makes them at http://www.evanix.com

Mybe we can get some people together and get a better price. I had a couple of questions. Is there a different price when you have the company mail the wood/leather steering wheel to you then you mail yours off once they are replaced (is there a core charge or something)? Another thing is...do they do the steering wheel for the RX which is basicall they GS wheel like you have w/o the e-shift. It would be best for me to have a wheel mailed to me then I send mine to them so I don't have any downtime with my car. Also, how would I send them an appropriate wood sample...where would I get it?

I hope to get a wood/leather wheel by either of these companies during this summer. I have to wait until I am out of school for the summer so I can get a job and save my $$$.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-17-01, 10:17 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Rau does seem to be able to do very nice work. He does a lot of work for Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc. He doesn't actually have anything listed for the RX, but I am sure he could do it at the same price. All of his work is considered custom work, so you can tell him to do the wood work any way you want it done.

The reason I don't have to ship out my wheel to him is because he has a spare GS wheel, if he didn't have one, then I would have to send him mine. I guess the GS & RX wheels are the same, but for safety maybe he will want the actual wheel and you might incur some down time with your car.

When I say sample wood piece I mean anything in your car that already has wood trim that you can remove and ship to him for him to look at and match to. For example, a wood ash tray. That's only if you want it matched to something you already have in your car. If you don't want it matched to anything then you can simply tell him which wood color you want. He can do lots of them, check his website.

If I were you I would just call him and talk to him, I think I talked to Bill yesterday about all this.

I don't really want to pay over $1,000 just for 3 pieces of wood to go on my steering wheel. But please note, the price is high only because he seems to do really good work, so you might be getting what you pay for.
Old 04-17-01, 10:58 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up It's all good!

Nanotech wrote,
I don't really want to pay over $1,000 just for 3 pieces of wood to go on my steering wheel.
You have to "pay to play." And you learn this very quickly in the aftermarket process of a high end automobile. I actually have the conversion wood/leather on my 98' GS4 and the work is every bit as good as Rau's! I can possibly obtain more for around $925 at the least. I'll post up some pics and let ya'll be the judge. :eek:
Old 04-17-01, 11:23 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

yes, TXSTYLE, please tell me more. I would love to see some pictures. Where did you get your wheel?

nanotech, how did you come accross a spare wheel. That is the best way to do it...wish I had one.

Last edited by LexRX; 04-17-01 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-17-01, 11:59 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

You are right TXSTYLE, if you want something good you have to pay for it.

But, as in economics...

I feel that my "opportunity cost", which would be the following:

about $1,500 (for wheel, install, taxes, shipping), taking my steering wheel off and putting another one (or even the same one back in) loosing the factory tight install and reliability, and other costs such as time spent on getting this wheel, finding guy to do install, etc

is much greater than the amount of satisfaction I gain, which would be:

the 3 pieces of wood on my wheel but still the same old factory airbag cover, not the 01 airbag cover that I like

therefore I decided not to go with the wood steering wheel
Old 04-18-01, 01:23 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a GS400 shouldnt the 20001 GS300 steering wheel work on it I know that the GS430's steering wheel wouldnt work on the GS300 because it has those radio controls on the side unless u can configure them to work with your radio (or hook them up as a NOS button ) but I dont think the 2001 GS300 come with those from what I've seen
Old 04-18-01, 04:19 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I think the problem with the 2001 GS steering wheel fitting on the 2000 is the center piece, airbag section, desing. While it is still a three spoke, the shape has been slightly altered. So, if one wanted the 2001 steering wheel then they would not only have to buy the wheel, but also the new airbag - then there is the question of whether or not it the mouting hardware is the same. The cost of the steering wheel and airbag section for the 2001 GS, and RX is just way to expensive - over $2000. So it is better just to go to an aftermarket source like Rau.
Old 04-19-01, 06:46 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

1SickLex wrote:
They make GS look a like kits but we cannot have that wheel JEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!
Take a deep breath and hold.....Breathe......Take a deep breath........Breath....... I know EXACTLY where you're coming from my man. Unfortunately it is a "supply and demand" thing. I anticipate the cost possibly dropping from an average now of about $1000.00 to maybe $650 or so a year from now.
Old 04-19-01, 08:10 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thats telling em 1sicklex I dunno why it is so high in price. If its under $1000, its still high but bearable.
Old 04-19-01, 08:30 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

waayyy too much $$$; spend them on other mods, imo