GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

toyota japan link/4 wheel steering!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 08:40 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default toyota japan link/4 wheel steering!!

Did you guys know aristo's have 4 wheel steering? WTF-How does that bad boy handle?
Check out this link below has a direct link to Toyota Japan Aristo site at bottom of page.
Pretty cool, too bad I don't speak Japanese. They have some nice screensavers too if you dig around(clicking blindly)
http://www.toyotaimportsforum.co.uk/aristo/

Last edited by chuckb; 09-07-04 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-08-04, 12:32 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

we had a discussion about this a while ago but I don't know where that thread is.

Conclusion is, we don't know if US model GSs have them
Old 09-08-04, 02:22 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I have the 4WS system on my aristo too. This system is also available on some Skyline models. If you did some research, a lot of Aristo owners (especially the more spirited drivers) find the 4WS more annoying than help. It gives the car a "too predictable" response during sharp turns, almost NOT allowing the driver to disengage the tail of car as he would have expected on any other car without the system. What resulted out of this is precision cut turns and if you are not too careful, you will end up aiming towards the concrete barrier a little too fast too soon.

Most of us end up getting the ARS steering canceller from Tom's to counteract this system. It's a strange thing. Most people want to tune their steering to become sharper, but a lot of the Aristo owners in fact "detune" their suspension by using the Tom's ars canceller.
Old 09-08-04, 03:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 204 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Yes I have the 4WS system on my aristo too. This system is also available on some Skyline models. If you did some research, a lot of Aristo owners (especially the more spirited drivers) find the 4WS more annoying than help. It gives the car a "too predictable" response during sharp turns, almost NOT allowing the driver to disengage the tail of car as he would have expected on any other car without the system. What resulted out of this is precision cut turns and if you are not too careful, you will end up aiming towards the concrete barrier a little too fast too soon.

Most of us end up getting the ARS steering canceller from Tom's to counteract this system. It's a strange thing. Most people want to tune their steering to become sharper, but a lot of the Aristo owners in fact "detune" their suspension by using the Tom's ars canceller.
This has got to be most funny story I have read lately. No offense intended Jon.

Perhaps I find it funny because I don't have the 4WS on my car and cannot appreciate what you are saying. However I would think having 4WS on my car would be just plain awesome! Why would I want to cancel it? I still don't understand why anyone would want to cancel it.

Recently I put on the 3.76 gear Torsen type LSD on my car and this mod endows the same type of behaviour to some degree as a 4WS.

There is this one almost 180 degree turn that I love to take very fast from a stop and before I had the LSD, the VSC would always kick in.

With the LSD, (keep in mind I have staggered tire sizes 275 mm at the back), the car ofcourse understeers more now, but the stronger characteristic that comes through the car with this mod is the feeling that the car has rear wheel steering.

Around the same bend I can go faster now (I don't turn off the VSC), and right around the apex, it feels as if the outer rear wheel has more power going to it resulting in a feeling of the car being pushed more from the outside rear. It's as if the rear wheels are turning slightly into the corner. It is just such an amazing feeling as it gives the car more acceleration around curves!!!! To top it off the VSC does NOT kick in!! D
Old 09-08-04, 08:51 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hameed
This has got to be most funny story I have read lately. No offense intended Jon.

Perhaps I find it funny because I don't have the 4WS on my car and cannot appreciate what you are saying. However I would think having 4WS on my car would be just plain awesome! Why would I want to cancel it? I still don't understand why anyone would want to cancel it.

Recently I put on the 3.76 gear Torsen type LSD on my car and this mod endows the same type of behaviour to some degree as a 4WS.

There is this one almost 180 degree turn that I love to take very fast from a stop and before I had the LSD, the VSC would always kick in.

With the LSD, (keep in mind I have staggered tire sizes 275 mm at the back), the car ofcourse understeers more now, but the stronger characteristic that comes through the car with this mod is the feeling that the car has rear wheel steering.

Around the same bend I can go faster now (I don't turn off the VSC), and right around the apex, it feels as if the outer rear wheel has more power going to it resulting in a feeling of the car being pushed more from the outside rear. It's as if the rear wheels are turning slightly into the corner. It is just such an amazing feeling as it gives the car more acceleration around curves!!!! To top it off the VSC does NOT kick in!! D
Imagine you are taking a very sharp left corner....

Now do what you just said above, but with your rear wheels also turning left like your front wheels do. That's almost what 4WS steering does. It sucks.
Old 09-08-04, 09:32 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I can see how it would feel wierd.Seems like it would be hard to control getting sideways. I could also imagine alignment nightmares.
Old 09-08-04, 10:37 AM
Aristor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ARS is very unpredictable and I'm one of those people who got sick of it and got the TOM's ARS steering canceller .
Old 09-08-04, 11:25 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So its not like what they have on the new GMC trucks where the rear steers the opposite like a boat. If your parked the rear turns just like the front? Can you take a pic.

Last edited by GammaLex; 09-08-04 at 11:27 AM.