GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Get to know your fellow GSers!! Introduce yourself!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 11:32 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Get to know your fellow GSers!! Introduce yourself!

Hi,

As you may know, I'm new around here, and happy to have found a club that caters to such an awesome marque. I was part of a different automotive club, and once every few months, we would re-"introduce" ourselves for newcomers, or to update changes in our lives. So here goes...I'll be the first to introduce myself, and hopefully others will follow. Barring a face to face meet, it's a pretty good way to get to "know" our fellow GSers..

I'm Canadian, and live on beautiful Lake Erie, only minutes away from the southermost tip in Canada, and a short distance from Detroit, MI. It is so southern, in fact, that there are 27 US states that are at least partially more northern than me! On clear days, we can see both OH and MI from our beach. I am an engineer working in the automotive industry, and have done work for most every car manufacturer, including Lexus. My specialty is on the manufacturing end, and work to produce automotive lighting and lenses. I am also a professor at a nearby College. I am a master CNC Machinist, so when I'm bored, I make fancy aluminum parts for my cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles and Jet-Skis. I used to make custom parts for choppers (still do every once in awhile), and have made parts for Jesse James, Sammy Hagar, NY Custom Choppers, etc. A few of my custom parts have been in catalogs such as Custom Chrome and Chrome Specialties, and have been on bikes that have won Best in Shows. I have made stuff that would make the guys from American Chopper drool....including a gas tank made from solid billet.

I'm a former Lincoln Mark VIII owner, as car that reminds me quite a bit of the GS400. 300HP, RWD, DOHC, etc..I will definitely use my knowledge of that car to help make my GS faster! I also drag race motorcycles (9.96@139) and grass/snow drag snowmobiles. I have roadraced and cross country raced motorcycles too. Basically, what it comes down to is I'll race anything with an engine in it, but I am most fond of motrcycles, snowmobiles and cars.

I have an awesome fiancee. She's a former Cirque De Soleil performer, and a superb athlete. She went to the Olympic Trials for gymnastics, held track records for pole vault and other events. It's sickenening actually. Makes me feel out of shape just looking at her. Oh yea...she's deaf too! Stone deaf. LOL But recently she had a Cochlear Implant, so she can hear. She's like the bionic woman at times. She can hear an airplane from several miles away, and in standard hearing tests, she kicks my butt handily. It's pretty neat, and we are both adjusting to her being able to hear. We also share our house with our beautiful dog Dax. He's a German Shepherd from Germany, and was orginally a service dog for my fiancee. But now he's just a great pet.

And one last thing. We open our house to ANY GSer or CL Member who needs a place to stay while on holidays, or just passing by. We enjoy the company, and have a nice guest room set-up. So if anyone is passing by, drop me a line!!

So that's me...who's next?

Cheers...~Ron
Old 07-18-04, 11:44 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be the next to reply since I am glued to CL pretty much 24/7.

My name is Joko Tanoyo and I was born in Indonesia some 26 years ago. I left Indonesia when I was 9 for overseas studies, first in Singapore, then in the US, till I was 22, when I came back home to succeed my parents' business. We deal mainly in building materials.

I will be married this December before I turn 27 to a wonderful woman that keeps me in check with mostly my spending and my incorrigible car habits hahaha.
Old 07-18-04, 11:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

welcome to clublexus!

i have to say though, although you are new here, i notice that a lot of your posts are very informative and extremely useful, i am very glad to see that. i am so happy to see more information and discussions going around here on clublexus, that's very good sign!

keep it up
Old 07-19-04, 12:20 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Talking

rominl,

Like I said..I've been around cars and done lots of work to Ford DOHC engines.

BUT WAIT!! I'm waiting for you to introduce yourself....who are you?? LOL
Old 07-19-04, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh me, um... let's see.... i am chinese, living in northern california. i don't have much history with cars though, considering that i am only 26. i got my first car when i was 21, the acura tl-s, modded it a bit, but bored and really nothing to mod.

got the gs4 and really learned a lot on this car, then sold the tl-s and got the is300, very nice car and finally get the practice my stick shift, not bad

i actually still think i am a newbie on car mods, still a lot to learn especially on engine parts. but it's always glad to hang around you guys
Old 07-19-04, 12:45 AM
LexFather

RROcket that is quite a story. Me, lets see, I'll just start with Clublexus. Found this site almost 4 years ago, been a Lexus owner in one shape form or another the majority of my driving career, Lexus nut and auto nut period. Became a mod here and then supermod.
Co-founder of SELOC, a spin-off of Clublexus. No special person, I'm the resident Pimp here.
I've had a manual Lexus, modded Lexus, driven every damn Lexus, wrecked a Lexus, it's in my blood.

I am grateful for this site and the weath of information on the internet and the O.Gs I learned from.. I like to play basketball and I started a wine collection though I don't know what the hell I'm doing with it. I love to cook and bar-b-que and eat. Going to different restaruants is a thing of mine no matter what city I am in. I love history and just find myself always reading about it. There are about 20 magazine subscriptions here and I'm a Barnes and Nobles card member cause I'm always reading.

My family tried all sorts of cars and are Lexus converts as well and come support a meet or two.

I may have possibly met over 200 members on Clublexus personally and now, I can call quite a few some damn good friends. I've RARELY met the pinhead here, most are just down to earth people.

Pretty much turned into this "Atlanta Ambassador". I seem to have turned into the guy that knows things and people. I am 6"5, 230 with some tattoos for a visual. Seemingly, I enjoy bringing people together, always at a car meet, or throwing a party, card get together.

Not sure what car is next but everyone here will know when it happens
Oh, my name is Mike. I'm like the 500th Mike here. Very popular name.
Old 07-19-04, 12:47 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 22, Own a car Dealership

Originally posted by RRocket

I'm a former Lincoln Mark VIII owner, as car that reminds me quite a bit of the GS400. 300HP, RWD, DOHC, etc..I will definitely use my knowledge of that car to help make my GS faster!
I have a '97 Mark VIII(56k miles) @ the moment and it definitely reminds me of the GS400. Its got HID's and everything else my previous GS4's had, although overall the GS4 is a better car(more utility, smoother, etc...) and I definitely put the GS4 above the Mark VIII.

Last edited by JAC JZS; 07-19-04 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-19-04, 12:49 AM
LexFather

BTW, RRocket, I doubt this thread gets many replies, most CLers are pretty behind the scenes and rarely post pics of themselves are any personal info. So don't take it personal
Old 07-19-04, 07:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Another Canadian here!

That was an awesome introduction RRocket!! I don't think I can give such an introduction.

My parents are from Pakistan. I was born and grew up (26 years) in Nigeria (yes, Nigerians are famous for scams!). I emigrated to Canada in 1988 (I am now 42) and have lived in Brampton and now Mississauga (soon moving to Oakville).

I love Canada and everything about it except the winter. I don't drive my GS in the winter and that is the second reason why I don't like the winters here (did I mention that the cold is the first reason? )

New to the mod scene. Never modded cars before I got my 99 GS400 back in November 2002. I absolutely love my GS and will probably never sell it (I tried to briefly on CL, but I have not had any bites yet - hmmm........ I wonder why? ) One day, I would like to own a Porsche Carerra 4S! That's my dream car.

CL is the only automotive forum I am an active member of. I don't sit in front of my computer that much.

I graduated from a University in Nigeria with a Bachelor's degree in Math, came to Canada and studied Computer Science at Sheridan College. I have been working in the IT field for about 10 years now. I started my own business 6 years ago ( I am offcially a sponsor on CL ) - doing everything related to the Internet - custom website design, custom programming, website hosting etc. (check my sig). My first big client is Toyota! We will be launching three e-commerce websites for Toyota at the end of this month (estimated launch date is still not confirmed). All three websites serve the same primary purpose - selling OEM and after market parts for Lexus, Toyota and Scion!

I have two awesome sons (7 and 5 years old) and a beautiful wife! We all practice Tae Kwon Do religiously. We are in it for the sport aspect. (read that as in we are not trying to pick physical fights with everyone we meet! ). I have been studying Tae Kwon Do for the last 7 years - I now have a 2nd degree Black Belt in WTF (World TaeKwonDo Federation) style. My wife is a 1st Degree Black Belt. She can kick my butt! My sons will probably get their black belts in another 4 - 5 years.

You might find this video interesting - my 5 year old son doing a spin-hook kick. He does not have the technique down 100%, but he is almost there. If you don't know much about martial arts, this kick is not an easy kick and I myself still cannot do it perfectly even after practising it for so long. The fact that my 5 year old can do it somewhat is a major feat! Very few kids, can do this kick at all - it is very technical. Most adults find it challenging - http://www.omaccanada.com/Riyad_May04.wmv

We need to get together and organize a meet. I have found it very challenging trying to do something like that and so far have not had any success.

Last edited by Hameed; 07-19-04 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-19-04, 09:10 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Well, mine will be pretty short...lol. I'm single, so no wife/kids to talk about. My GS3 is the 2nd car I've owned...4th I've driven...1st I've modded. I drove a '84 Toyota pickup that I totalled when I was 16 and was lucky to live through, then I drove a '96 or '97 T100 for a while, then I got a '92 Camry XLE...loved that car. I guess I did mod the Camry in that I put a stereo system in it, but that was it. Then I sold that and got my GS3. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't know anything about modding my car or any cars! Oh, and I'm from NC!

Charles
Old 07-19-04, 09:10 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another Canadian here!

Originally posted by Hameed
I have been studying Tae Kwon Do for the last 7 years - I now have a 2nd degree Black Belt in WTF style. .
damn hameed at first i was like he's got a black belt in what

you all seem to have nice lives

Old 07-19-04, 09:28 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Here goes nothing...

I am a Florida native, born and raised in Tampa. Only spent 5 years away at Gainesville getting my degree at the University of Florida.

I have been into cars as long as I have been into computers. I currently work for the DoD at Macdill AFB as a Systems Analyst. My best friend growing up got me into the car scene since his Dad restored and built hot rods and classic cars from the 40's, 50's, 60's. I traveled at least 3-4 times a year with his family to attend some of the biggest car shows in the nation.

I have been into modding my own vehicles since 1986 when I turned 16. Problem was always with not having enough cash to do what I wanted... same problem now (FI). Someday I am hoping to open an import tuning shop here in Tampa like no other, but I am waiting for my little brother to graduate from college himself... we are 16 years apart in age... I am 34 and he is 18. Together we have some pretty big plans. I currently have a computer business away from my 9-5 building machines and networks and doing repair and ressurections.

I have a wife of 10 years and a beautiful daughter going on 3. That is where my Lexus came in. I was forced due to family to buy a 4 door vehicle and since Buick Grand Nationals are no longer the rage... JK.... I really wanted a fun, fast, manual trans but the wife doesn't like stick, especially with the baby in the back asking for stuff like every 30 seconds... I really wanted a WRX (cheaper to make faster and easier to DIY) but the wife was having none of that, couldn't sell the Florida rain and the AWD to make up for the boy racer look and stick.

I have Owned 2 Vettes 85, 92. 1 300ZX TT 90, 1 Audi 5000S "??", 1 Camaro RS 88, 1 Eclipse GST 95, 1 Maxima SE 99, and I currently drive 1 Xterra SC/SE 02 more than anything.

The Eclipse was fun and easy to mod and was a complete blast to drive fast. I don't care what anyone thinks about FRD but that car was easy to drive at the limit.

I love the GS400... I hope to have it long enough to eventually be able to afford FI.

If a 69 SS Camaro had 4 doors I would have bought that instead... LOL

I play poker about once a week, and try to get over to the East Coast (Cocoa Beach) about once a month to surf.

I used to be an avid street racer but don't do much of it anymore, people just want to go too fast these days. Back in the late 80's to early 90's most of us had the common sense to hit 100 and back off... today it is not uncommon to see teenagers going 120+ through town... just not safe... couple that with the fact that I have my daughter in the Lex 50% of the time... my fun is moving to the track... if it will ever stop raining.

I am a Virgo.

How's that!

My friends call my JD...

Last edited by CinFulxgs; 07-19-04 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-19-04, 09:43 AM
jucee187
Lead Lap

Default another Canadian

wow.. you guys went all out for your intros.. mine wont be as well written, but here goes:

My name is Ray, im 25. Im indonesian/Chinese/Dutch. Still living at home with my mom (single mom) trying to help her out whenever I can. Not married, just have a gf of over 3 years.

Moved here from Indonesia (my dad sponsored us) in 1988 and lived in Pickering for 2 years but my mom
was scared of the Nuclear power plant so we moved to Mississauga.. lol been living in Mississauga ever
since.

I have a 00 GS400 with little mods. Used to have a CL Type S but traded it for the GS. Before that I used
to have a 91 Integra and a 88 Civic. So i was always a honda guy until I got the Lexus. I fell in love with
this car.. its such a well built - solid machine. I always wanted the GS ever since it first came out (even the
first gens).

Graduated from Sheridan College with a Business/accounting/finance diploma. But ended up working in the IT field. I used to work at Burger King making whoppers.. then the Bay/Zellers (dept stores).

Then i was fortunate to have an opportunity to work for a large Bank (TD Canada Trust).. I was doing misc jobs there.. software tester, server builder, image deployment, etc. Then i moved to 2nd level support . We (team of 3) support branch servers all across Canada (1500 + servers). We recently got outsourced to IBM so Im doing the same thing but getting paid by the big blue. Continuing to upgrade by reading FREE technical books (one of the perks).

Hoping to purchase a (single detach) home soon..with a double garage..at least..
But doing so with my income is kinda tough.. I dont want to settle for an apartment. or a townhome or a semi-detached.. .. thats why as of now im just saving for a large downpayment. Then when my gf receives her work permit and begins working full time then we will seriously consider buying a place.

Last edited by jucee187; 07-19-04 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-19-04, 10:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

damn, i actually think this is a very nice thread!
Old 07-19-04, 10:19 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Here's my story. click here

Last edited by Wald GS; 07-19-04 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Get to know your fellow GSers!! Introduce yourself!