GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

V-Kool Installed (light tint)

Old 06-11-04, 07:32 PM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-Kool Installed

Well the car keeps on changing and with my last few mods you'd think that I would go darker with my tint. Actually I had no problems with my old tint which came with the car. The previous owner was lived in Arizona so the old tint was dark. After having the car for more than 3 yrs now, I didn't have any problems with cops here in California. Maybe it was just luck but my luck ran out. I got nailed with a speeding ticket and they tacked on the tint. So I had to finally remove the front and either leave it off (not a real option for me) or put something on that's lighter and won't attact as much attention from cops.

So I went to a good tint shop here in the Bay Area and they they suggested that I go with V-Kool. Its a very light tint that reduced the heat inside the car much better than standard tint. I was sold when they placed a panel with v-kool between a light and a heat meter. Running the same test with 5% limo tint, the V-Kool still came out to be cooler. Having had it for a coupled days now, it is noticably cooler inside the car. I am finding myself keeping the auto AC temp 3-4 degrees warmer than I did before.

The only bad thing about V-Kool is the price, but when you figure in the possibility of getting another tint ticket and the hassle to remove and put back on, V-Kool will come out cheaper.

That's enough talk...onto the pics
Attached Thumbnails V-Kool Installed (light tint)-img_0722.jpg  
Old 06-11-04, 07:33 PM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

another shot
Attached Thumbnails V-Kool Installed (light tint)-img_0723.jpg  
Old 06-11-04, 07:33 PM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

the black interior makes it seem pretty dark in the pics above...but here you can see how light it really is.
Attached Thumbnails V-Kool Installed (light tint)-img_0724.jpg  
Old 06-11-04, 07:39 PM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

the v-Kool was only put on the front doors. The rears were changed to 35% charcoal tint to better match. My old tint back there was 20% but it started fading and looking purple. That would not match the v-kool which when placed on our cars has a little greenish hue due to the factory windows having green in them.

Here's a pic of the old tint in the back with the front having 3 strips of tint. The tint shop put three strips on my car and let me think about it for a week before I finally made my choice.
Attached Thumbnails V-Kool Installed (light tint)-img_0649.jpg  
Old 06-11-04, 07:43 PM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

for anyone in the SF Bay Area, I would highly recommend the Auto Mall Tint Factory. Talk to Sidney Lee and tell them Jonathan with the Silver and Black GS sent you.

www.automalltintfactory.com
Old 06-11-04, 07:48 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HOW much Was The Tint??

Please tell us how expensive it is!
GSEREP1
Old 06-11-04, 07:59 PM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

V-Kool on both front windows: $195.
versus
Charcoal on both front windows: $120

Its kinda pricy, but you get a lifetime warrenty on the install with a standard 5 yr warrenty on the V-Kool materials. Also if I get harassed by the cops, Sid said he would help me fight the ticket. Even as light as it is, this tint does not meet the requirements under California Vehicle Code. It misses by a few percent. But as light as it is, I really shouldn't have any issues with the cops. Also, the tint was put on with the door panels removed so, its tucked in under the rubber and up top its to 1/16" from the edge. They would take it all the way to the edge and file it down for an extra fee, but its not recommeded for the durabillity of the tint. At 1/16" its barely noticable that you put tint on the window. I'll take pics in a couple of days when the tint has fully bonded with the glass.

Last edited by jawnthen; 06-11-04 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 09:56 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

jawnthen, what percent emittance V-kool tint did you get? 70%? Also, would you mind telling how much everything cost you? I assume you replaced the back window tint as well. PM me if you'd like.

Glen referred me to Auto Mall Tint Factory as well, but there weren't around when I stopped by the other day. I'll have to call them at some point.
Thanks.
Old 06-11-04, 10:01 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by bchau_gt
Glen referred me to Auto Mall Tint Factory as well, but there weren't around when I stopped by the other day. I'll have to call them at some point.
Thanks.
Nice jawnthen. You just reminded me that I need to call Sid too.
Old 06-12-04, 04:10 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

great things about darn interiors you can always use lighter tint and it will look darker due to the color of the inside .
Old 06-12-04, 07:00 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I got the V-Kool platinum tint on my car! You can see the mirror effect here. We must use this platinum tint here because the sun is just scorching! We have 95F weather all year round and if we go with something as light as yours, I think we would be cooking quite nicely inside our cars!

By the way, V-Kool is by far the most popular tint here in Indonesia because of its awesome anti-heat properties and the reflective nature of the tint keeps your interior away from prying eyes.

My car installed with tint on all 4 windows, rear window and clear film on the front windshield is about USD700.

Old 06-12-04, 07:03 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

very cool.....
Old 06-12-04, 07:49 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Never heard of a quality Tinting company. I got to remember this company if I do tinting.
Old 06-12-04, 09:29 AM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

I was sitting on the fence whether I should do my front windows when I tint the rest of my car, but jawnthen v-kool install changed my mind. I wonder if it would be worth getting it all around just for the cooling properties. Bay area during the summer can get really hot...

Chris
Old 06-12-04, 10:45 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jawnthen,
What about rhe back window? Just wondering if you had it done and any problems removing the old tint since its been on for awhile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V-Kool Installed (light tint)