GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

face lift & Xpel

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 04:00 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How soon after a repaint can you put on a clear bra?
Old 04-13-04, 04:45 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as the paint is fully dried and hard.

I had the 3M clear bra on my white GS for almost two year now. As long as the car is clean, you cannot really see the difference between the covered and uncovered area.
However, when the car is dirty, one can definitely see it up close. There is a 4 year fade resistence guaranteed on the material. It for sure saved me from many what would have been a "chip" for the past years.
Old 04-13-04, 04:51 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

this is great news.... I just had my bumper painted last week so I was in need of finding a place to have a custom xpel job done. Thanks for the info....

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 04-13-04 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-13-04, 04:58 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bmoregs: I don't think it looks plastic at all. When I went to pick up the car, I swear I thought he haven't done anything to it. That is how good it came up. Also, you will wash, wax and polish the Xpel just like you would normally do with your car without Xpel.

TI II: I had it put on 9 days after the repaint is completed. I only drove my car once in between to minimize any rock chips.

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 04-13-04 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-13-04, 06:17 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by GSXOTIC
bmoregs: I don't think it looks plastic at all. When I went to pick up the car, I swear I thought he haven't done anything to it. That is how good it came up. Also, you will wash, wax and polish the Xpel just like you would normally do with your car without Xpel.
I concede that I have never personally saw a car with Xpel on it so my comments may have a tinge of ignorance in them but when i see those pics especially the first one it looks plastic to me
Old 04-13-04, 07:20 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Pics don't do it justice IMO...

I have the ArmorGlove film on mine which is very similar to X-pel and I can say that you would never even notice it if you weren't told it was there!
The ONLY exception to that on my car would be that I do have the front of the hood done (about 10 inches or so up from the front) and you can barely see the line if you look. As I've said before, I would MUCH rather have that than the chips and nicks from driving on So. Cal freeways all the time! The front end of my Accord looked terrible when I sold it and that's with the use of a vinyl bra on long trips etc. It's the day to day commute that does a lot of the damage.
You really do have to see it in person to evaluate it properly though and how well it turns out will really depend on the quality of the installation.
Old 04-13-04, 07:42 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

thanks FutureGS... I was going to say that those pictures were shrink to fit the size limitation for posting. To see it is to believe.

LXOGOOD - Feel free to call this guy up. He is a cool guy to work with and he will listen to what you want and customize to fit your need.
Old 04-13-04, 08:23 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is that a modded Explosion bumper or a modded Rod Millen bumper? How much did you pay for the Foglights PM if you like.

Last edited by GammaLex; 04-13-04 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-13-04, 09:38 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

PM Sent, Gamma
Old 04-14-04, 12:35 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

I assume you guys are talking about the clear and/or body color plastic coatings on the front of cars. The only one I've seen was at the dealership. I saw a black, white, and a silver. I have to say that the silver was the least noticeable, and white wasn't very noticeable. I thought it was pretty noticeable on black, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that on darker colors, the film is easier to see. I like the idea, but to me, the look from the film to the sheetmetal isn't tolerable. The examples I saw had a definite 'orange peel' look to the film, compared to the smooth sheetmetal.
Old 04-14-04, 12:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by 04GS300
I assume you guys are talking about the clear and/or body color plastic coatings on the front of cars. The only one I've seen was at the dealership. I saw a black, white, and a silver. I have to say that the silver was the least noticeable, and white wasn't very noticeable. I thought it was pretty noticeable on black, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that on darker colors, the film is easier to see. I like the idea, but to me, the look from the film to the sheetmetal isn't tolerable. The examples I saw had a definite 'orange peel' look to the film, compared to the smooth sheetmetal.
yes, xpel is least noticeable on silver car, and most noticeable on dark color cars.

the one you saw must be of very bad install (sorta like mine? haha). if it's installed correctly the service of xpel is just as smooth as the metal service, and you can polish and wax the service just like normal body.
Old 04-14-04, 09:32 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

xpel has a more noticeable "orange peel" look to it since it does have a clear coat over it.
there is also another manufacture, i believe it's called llumor (they also do window tinting), they're very clear. and has a glossier look to it, especially on dark cars. i've personally seen both material side by side and is more impress w/ the llumor ( they are about $50 more). also putting it up againt the sunlight, w/ the backer peeled off, you'll notice that the llumor is almost crystal clear but w/ xpel (3M), it has a fogged look to it.
Old 04-14-04, 01:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by GSing430
xpel has a more noticeable "orange peel" look to it since it does have a clear coat over it.
there is also another manufacture, i believe it's called llumor (they also do window tinting), they're very clear. and has a glossier look to it, especially on dark cars. i've personally seen both material side by side and is more impress w/ the llumor ( they are about $50 more). also putting it up againt the sunlight, w/ the backer peeled off, you'll notice that the llumor is almost crystal clear but w/ xpel (3M), it has a fogged look to it.
my question would be though, is the llumor as strong as xpel? coz' the whole point of xpel is to protect the car, if the llumor isn't as strong then it's not that useful. even stonguard i think they aren't as good coz' if you look at their headlight pieces, it's so thin it's a joke

plus, with xpel, you can still polish the heck out of it if you want. rmmgs4 did it on the is3, it's amazing. i might just do it before HIN too
Old 04-14-04, 03:43 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

All I can say is, I am VERY satisfied the way it came out on my black car. I had my buddy look at the bumper last night without telling him the Xpel. He did not even notice it. I think I will also wait for a year to see if anything change.
Old 04-14-04, 04:18 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

all i know is Im doing mine!! Id rather have some protection than nothing and a bunch of chips and more $ to repaint

Quick Reply: face lift & Xpel