GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ding, Dented, and distarught

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 08:43 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ding, Dented, and distarught

I would have had my Alpine silver GS4 for 1 year on monday with no body damage until some A** hole decides to pull into a parking space and dent my rear driver's side wheel well. I'm upset because I everytime I plan on doing something w/my car something like this happens. I planned on doing a complete detail in the morning I bought everything microfiber towels, clay, polish, the works now I'll have to find a body shop to pull the ding and paint the chip and it appears someone bumped me because I have a scratch on my bumper that appears to be from someones license plate. I have to go to court in the morning for a 275 emissions ticket (damn youd thought i single handedly destroyed the ozone) I received a red light ticket in the mail 2day, and my girl is tripping it doesn't get much better its been a tuff day 4 the GS. Thanks for letting me rant.

Now how much do you think it will cost to have it fixed and how long? I paid 125 just to have some curb marks on my bumper painted @ the dealer. Should I go there or find a local body shop. I can not ride around with my baby dented up, I refuse. Here is the dent

that bright light is me w/ a flash light in my apt complex didn't think the flash was that good will take better one in the morning its almost midnight.
Old 03-26-04, 07:47 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Sorry to see and hear about it, man.

I'm having the same issue. Last night I came out to my car and noticed there was a plate mark indented into my rear bumper. I have no idea who did it, but I know it was not there when I parked it a few hours earlier. IT will have to be painted and fixed and will probably be pretty cheap but still it's a bit aggravating.
Old 03-26-04, 08:05 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whats going on???

Everybody is getting their cars beat up... Sorry to see read about it.Insurance claim maybe???Also, a dent like that should run between 200-300 bucks to repair depending on how bad it's dented in and how difficult it is to match the paint...
Old 03-26-04, 08:08 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I was thinking it might be a litte more.

The boys at pepboys dropped a rim on my car and dented the fender.

Total cost to repair: $1400
Old 03-26-04, 08:15 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by chicagoblknazn
I was thinking it might be a litte more.

The boys at pepboys dropped a rim on my car and dented the fender.

Total cost to repair: $1400
The boys at Pep Boys owe you $1400
Old 03-26-04, 08:35 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Actually they are taking care of everything. The body shop that handles work for Lexus near my home gave me the estimate for $1400 last week and I am now waiting for the check from Pep Boys. They are also reimbursing me for the 2 week Jaguar S-Type rental which will be another $1500.

And to think, all this because of a blown tail light and a switch out of head light bulbs that I was too lazy to do myself and asked them to do it for $10.
Old 03-26-04, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

That didn't necessarily happen in a parking lot....unless, of course, you know for SURE that it did. Kids with bike wheels or other outdoor toys sometimes can dent like that.
Anyway, I got a little bad news and a lot of good news for you. The bad news is that silver is one of the most difficult colors to match...for several reasons. The good news, though, is that that dent is no big deal to fix, and that even if the paint does not exactly match, back there on the wheel well it won't make much difference anyway.
Old 03-26-04, 11:52 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If the paint is in tact, at least run it by DentPro. If the paint is chipped you need a body shop and repaint but I have been pretty impressed by these guys. The fact that they are at Magnussen Lexus on Wednesdays, so you can have them pop dents out while your car is in for service, may alter my comment because they are convenient. But they really are quite good. I haven't had anything that big but when we last took my wife's car in for service there was a ding in the right rear corner panel that was not only on a crease on the panel but right up against the trim as well. They said they would give it a try and doggoned if they didn't get it perfect. If they can do it, at least you don't have paint matching and overspray issues to deal with. And so far, whatever they can do, they do in a day, so the car is not laid up.

Like I said, they may not be able to do that one, but I am leaning towards letting them look at anything on my car first.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-04, 07:45 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

446 bucks that is the cheapest estimate another one was for 677 everything is legit all the estimates come from the same data base 34/hr for Body labor 34/hr paint labor and 19/hr paint supplies (how paint supplies cost per hr is beyond me) the only thing that differs is the amnt of time it takes. One place said it takes 9.8 hrs another said 4.7 for the body labor. mmarshall it is in no way the result of a child and their toy someone hit me and I'm checking bumpers. The paint according to the shops I went to is readily available. I am going to the dealer to get a third estimate tommorow an Alumnus from my high school works in the service dept (he's class of '68 I'm '98 but he always cuts me a deal how real is that). My friends, girl, and one of the body shops said its no big deal but they don't have to drive w/it do they? Whenever I look @ my baby I see her bum leg She will be fixed before this time next week!!!!