GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

The grounding dilemma. 95 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 11:16 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The grounding dilemma. 95 GS300

Guys I recently gave up on trying to keep my old stock Pioneer system with CD changer and I added an Alpine head unit with a subwoofer in the trunk and an amp to push it. Well before long it wasn't enough and I added some infinity component 6.5's up front, well then I was unhappy with the bass again and upgraded my amp and sub... Well befote you know it I've got three amps in the trunk and a 2 kilowatt subwoofer amp and I'm thinking I'm addicted to audio now.

That I can handle because I've gone through much worse addictions but... My dilemma is that I just can't seem to find a good ground in the trunk of my 95!
iveI even gone all the way into the spare tire well and drilled down to the frame and scraped away all the paint and used that as a ground but I just came up empty handed. There's enough for ground for a couple hundred watts but when I try to get that big amp to put out what it's been known to do it just laughs at me! So if anybody knows of a good spot that works well with the chassis ground up front let me know please. I'm assuming it's that the grounds I'm using aren't on the same chunk of metal as the chassis ground the battery up front uses right? The grounding thing elides me if you haven't gathered. I mean I thought I understood the theory but this makes me wonder what it is that I'm not getting. Theoretically anyway. But please if you can help or have seen someone in thisnoositintbegore please reach out and say something! Thanks everybody!
Old 11-07-18, 02:26 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

You need to redo your ground coming out of the fuse box up front connecting to the side of the driverside fender next to the battery, and the ground coming off the motor . Theres also another ground on the exhaust side but doing the other two should be sufficient.
Old 11-07-18, 03:34 PM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Originally Posted by joewitafro
You need to redo your ground coming out of the fuse box up front connecting to the side of the driverside fender next to the battery, and the ground coming off the motor . Theres also another ground on the exhaust side but doing the other two should be sufficient.
Jwf, I've done that. I not only redo them I think I put 1/0 gauge ! Yeah... I did and I'm pretty sure that I added a 1/0 gauge on top of what was already there between the alternator and the battery. I've done more wiring lately than I ever care to do again and I'm about to do it to the back doors tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again for the help on the speaker pods.
you're a stand uo kinda dude! I've not been able to fit a speaker with those boxes either. All the 4 inch speakers that I thought might be good enough mid bass driver's either wouldn't tune right in those pods or they're too deep. So I'm going to take a stab at making some custom pods for it. I'm actually thinking about just a baffle more or less because I've got one of those foam pods to go with the 6.5 inch speakers I ordered.
Oh yeah check this out! I saw an sc400 on craCraigsl and I sent the guy a message saying I thought it was a nice car and that I was jealous. I just hate it too man I see them doing all the time but I feel like by the time I have the cash for one there won't be any left! Lol
Anyway,this guy calls me and we talk for a while and he rekls me of his love for Lexus cars and how he has one with 700k with no major repairs ever. Plus another one and then this SC but anyway he actually OFFERED to let me buy yhr car from him basically "as I can" or in installments... Which is the last thing you ever expect out of something like that. I would never ask that question but he offered it so if you can't tell let me tell you imI frrfreak pumped about the prospect of a SC400! DO YOU HAVE ANY sorry do u have any experience with the 4.0? I just think those are tough looking little cars!

Thanks again Joe
Old 11-08-18, 06:39 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

If you've already upgraded the grounds up there, it sounds like you are having a broken wire issue. Cause it makes no sense to me why you cant get adequate ground in the rear.
Old 11-09-18, 07:02 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default More cussing and head scratching!

Originally Posted by joewitafro
If you've already upgraded the grounds up there, it sounds like you are having a broken wire issue. Cause it makes no sense to me why you cant get adequate ground in the rear.
Yeah same here... I have no idea why, because it makes no sense why I'm not getting a good ground back there. I mean I am positive that all the connections I made from the alternator and positive and ground on the battery were done IN ADDITION to the stock wiring. I know, in fact, that I didn't cut OR remove any of the stock wiring and I DID add likely WAYY MORE wire than needed, but as I see it the factory wiring is engineered most likely to be enough with a tiny bit of extra just for spits and grins to run the car and charge the battery. So I figured with me adding more draw to the electrical system that I should beef that way up. How can it hurt right!? And I've never seen anybody say "that's too good of a electrical connection, go get that smaller power cord or smaller gauge wire" etc.. it just seemed like a good idea...

And actually one of the guys I've bought some equipment from inlino actually told me that his and his wife's lexus' have had those same grounding issues in the trunk particularly. Weird huh!?
That's kinda why I came here. I was hoping it wasn't just us! But there are a lot of Lexus pusists here that don't modify their cars which I totally respect. I'd be doing that if the stock radio was still worth a snit!