GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Trans solenoid 2 & 3 via O2 code 25

Old 09-08-18, 09:13 PM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans solenoid 2 & 3 via O2 code 28

Edit: code 28 not code 25

While jumping my diagnostic port for current CEL code I discovered that the three prior codes are gone which were for the EGR system (turned out to be VSV), the distributor, which somehow was still working even though after removing it I would spin it and it would make a clicking sound and stop about every 10 degrees or so just like a ratchet does and lastly the upstream O2 sensor (of which I replaced both upstream because I wasn't able to discern which was throwing the code, and I just figured it couldn't hurt)...

I was happy to see a new code and the others gone but sadly I never even got a chance to see the CEL off. I didn't think I had remedied the egr situation and so I never reset the light. I was checking it this time to see if I had any new issues and I did. This time I got a code 28 so being that it is another O2 sensor. Making me believe that this time it's gotta be the downstream post-cat sensors. I have an exhaust leak at the flange behind the manifold and being that I just got into my first house my funds are particularly low these days so an exhaust system isn't in the near future. So I'm going to do the resistor/capacitor trick and fool the ECM for a little while until I CAN afford new breathing apparatus for my baby.

Anyway, while I was checking my codes I noticed my "OD OFF" light flashing when the OD button was on but not when it was off. I got onto alldata and it seems to be telling me that it could be solenoid 2 or solenoid 3... Does anyone else have any experience with this code? If so please give me some GOOD NEWS! like they are both located in the glove box right behind the complimentary shot of whiskey, only require two fingers to replace and can be purchased at any gas station! Please tell me there's a silver lining to this headache! I'm ready for my baby to drive like she ought to!

Last edited by DeanWeen; 09-09-18 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Code 28 not 25
Old 09-09-18, 12:08 PM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default Ok so maybe not..

Well I just went back and checked the sensors I had f'ed with before and got zero resistance across the heater wires yet I did get 12.8 or so and that made me happy knowing that the wiring was all in tact, at least power wise anyway. So I replaced it. Somehow miraculously the CEL went off in the process. It began running much better but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be dealing with the transmission situation but that's gonna be costly I'm thinking.
Old 09-18-18, 03:43 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, that happened to me. Like you already know, the issues is probably the solenoids.

If it's driving fine, shifting through all the gears without skipping or getting stuck, not downshifting, etc., just keep driving it, or you can replace the solenoids. Not sure if you have a 2JZGTE swap with big single, etc., but maybe you can just replace your trans with a Boost Logic, Sound Performance, etc Built Auto trans (thats if you are auto and plan on keeping auto).
Old 09-19-18, 08:25 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Thanks for the reply boostedGS! I really appreciate you saying something!
Nah I'm currently just running a 2JZGE all stock naturally aspirated with zero mods on the engine. I plan to boost her in the future but not any time soon unfortunately. Well, if I take a new job I think it'll likely happen sooner than later but I haven't said yes to anything yet. Just got into my first mortgage so things are tight right now. Anything not TRNASPORTATION related is kinda extravagant! Sadly anyway..... but yeah, it drives fine until I kick it into "passing gear" and when it downshifts it kinda acts squirrely. Like it doesn't exactly know what to do... It'll take a minute to gather it's thoughts before going into third or whichever gear is being called for... I'm going to try some TransX for now just to try to avoid taking the pan off and hope that'll make her drive a little better until I can get in there. If it doesn't then I guess I'll look into what it takes to get those solenoid's out. Are you familiar with their placement? Transmission's are typically where I call the game. I do not want to take a tranny apart, at least not without help very near by.

Again thanks for the reply.
Old 09-25-18, 09:54 AM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Default Whoa, I almost reported you instead of quoting you

Originally Posted by boostedGS
Yeah, that happened to me. Like you already know, the issues is probably the solenoids.

If it's driving fine, shifting through all the gears without skipping or getting stuck, not downshifting, etc., just keep driving it, or you can replace the solenoids. Not sure if you have a 2JZGTE swap with big single, etc., but maybe you can just replace your trans with a Boost Logic, Sound Performance, etc Built Auto trans (thats if you are auto and plan on keeping auto).
mani would have felt so horrible if I had some that all the way through.. I accidentally hit "report" instead of quote and imI on my phone so sometimes it seems to kinda stick so as it hung up I thought I had missed it so I tried to got quite again and as I did it flipped over to the 'you sure you want to report this dude?' screen and that's when my finger landed on the screen and my freaking heart stopped! Lol
I'm sure we could have fixed it and having never done it I don't even know what happens so it might not even be that big of a deal.. but for a second I was mortified thinking I just kicked a perfect stranger (a very friendly and cool stranger with similar interests to my own making you a friend just by default) out of the forum and possibly out if the country club we are all members of here in Lexie-Land... Anyway the reason inwasntryingnti quote you in the first place was to say, yeah jmI totally down with putting a beefier transmission in my 1stG-2jZgs3 lol.. trying to make up yet another cool sounding abbreviated or slang2.18k term lol (can you tell I'm not from this generation?) Anyway yeah I .plan on putting a beefier tranny in later when I boost my engine which will be sooner than later.. jusywaitjng to get into a better place financially. Like get out from under a couple of the bills that are stretching me a little thin these days. Which could be as early as February 2019.. I bet you thought I was going to say 2099 right!!?! Lol j/k

I'm going to be using it up until then though so I'm thinking about doing these solenoids now to get the shifting which can sometimes be erratic when shifting into passing gear or just downshifting period. It really just seems to get confused when I give it enough gas to downshift thus making the transmission seem really stupid and ibdecisive like an ex of mine so that aspect alone is enough to make me want to get it fixed.... At any expense!!!!!! Thanks for the reply. I read it a while back but haven't had lots of time to reply. Thanks to everyone reading bout my issues... Which often require tissues or at least a handkerchief. Pea's err'bahdee
Old 10-08-18, 12:55 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DeanWeen
mani would have felt so horrible if I had some that all the way through.. I accidentally hit "report" instead of quote and imI on my phone so sometimes it seems to kinda stick so as it hung up I thought I had missed it so I tried to got quite again and as I did it flipped over to the 'you sure you want to report this dude?' screen and that's when my finger landed on the screen and my freaking heart stopped! Lol
I'm sure we could have fixed it and having never done it I don't even know what happens so it might not even be that big of a deal.. but for a second I was mortified thinking I just kicked a perfect stranger
(a very friendly and cool stranger with similar interests to my own making you a friend just by default) out of the forum and possibly out if the country club we are all members of here in Lexie-Land... Anyway the reason inwasntryingnti quote you in the first place was to say, yeah jmI totally down with putting a beefier transmission in my 1stG-2jZgs3 lol.. trying to make up yet another cool sounding abbreviated or slang2.18k term lol (can you tell I'm not from this generation?) Anyway yeah I .plan on putting a beefier tranny in later when I boost my engine which will be sooner than later.. jusywaitjng to get into a better place financially. Like get out from under a couple of the bills that are stretching me a little thin these days. Which could be as early as February 2019.. I bet you thought I was going to say 2099 right!!?! Lol j/k

I'm going to be using it up until then though so I'm thinking about doing these solenoids now to get the shifting which can sometimes be erratic when shifting into passing gear or just downshifting period. It really just seems to get confused when I give it enough gas to downshift thus making the transmission seem really stupid and ibdecisive like an ex of mine so that aspect alone is enough to make me want to get it fixed.... At any expense!!!!!! Thanks for the reply. I read it a while back but haven't had lots of time to reply. Thanks to everyone reading bout my issues... Which often require tissues or at least a handkerchief. Pea's err'bahdee
^ LOL. I asked my friend to check everything out for me since hes a professional mechanic, but it didn't seem that hard at all. Lift car up, drop pan, drop valve body, find/replace solenoids. A shop would probably charge couple hundred for labor If you didn't want to do it yourself.
Old 10-09-18, 03:06 PM
DeanWeen
Rookie

Originally Posted by boostedGS
^ LOL. I asked my friend to check everything out for me since hes a professional mechanic, but it didn't seem that hard at all. Lift car up, drop pan, drop valve body, find/replace solenoids. A shop would probably charge couple hundred for labor If you didn't want to do it yourself.
boostedGS, man I just kinda read over my last reply and I don't even know how you understood it. I was obviously feeling quite well whenever I posted that.. Thanks for the reply and that honestly makes me feel better. My friend did his on his Mazda 5 van so I'm at least hopeful.
Awesome that was what I was hoping to hear anyway. Things are looking up at least anyway... Well that is if I can get hold of the solenoids I need anyway...
Did you notice a big difference when yours were done? Did it fix any of the issues you felt we're being caused by these being faikty? Thanks brother
Old 10-09-18, 04:08 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DeanWeen
boostedGS, man I just kinda read over my last reply and I don't even know how you understood it. I was obviously feeling quite well whenever I posted that.. Thanks for the reply and that honestly makes me feel better. My friend did his on his Mazda 5 van so I'm at least hopeful.
Awesome that was what I was hoping to hear anyway. Things are looking up at least anyway... Well that is if I can get hold of the solenoids I need anyway...
Did you notice a big difference when yours were done? Did it fix any of the issues you felt we're being caused by these being faikty? Thanks brother
You can definitely get a hold of the solenoids. If you search A340 or A350 trans shift or lock up solenoids, I'm sure there are a lot of suppliers for that. Yeah, it fixed the weird shift issues, soon as I fixed it, sold the trans and got a SP built auto, then later replaced with a Boost Logic built auto.