GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Recently put 20's on my 94 GS300. Since doing so it rides like crap.1GS owner advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 08:00 AM
Tsellers17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently put 20's on my 94 GS300. Since doing so it rides like crap.1GS owner advice?

Over a month ago I purchased and installed some used 20 inch wheels, with low profile tires on my 94 Lexus GS300. They look great. However, I didn't expect that the ride of the car would be almost unbearably uncomfortable. When I had them installed, the mechanic approved of the condition of 3 of the tires, but one of them had damage on the inner part of the sidewall, so I had to buy a new one. Initially, they were saying that I needed spacers for them to fit on the car properly. I went and bought some of those. Upon actual installation, they determined that they really weren't necessary. So I returned them and got my money back. As soon as I drive off the lot, the car is making loud noises if I roll over even a pebble. I also have to smash the gas peddle with significant force for it to get up and go. In addition, there have been other problems. I've never had low profile tires before. After driving it with the used rims/tires for not even a week, one of them goes flat. The tire was damaged beyond repair when I drove it on the rim to get to tire shop. One of the rims has a couple dents in it from perhaps hitting a curb, but overall they in good condition. My latest problem is that the car is riding horribly and the steering wheel shakes. Before I rectify the problem by having it fixed, I'd like to know is it worth it? Are there any owners of this or a similar model that have put dubs on their car and still have a smooth, comfortable ride? I see these cars everywhere with big wheels on them. Is it possible that they put up with this? Is there something I am doing wrong? Before the "upgrade", the car was rock solid with little problems. Should I just switch back to the regular rims and tires?
Old 01-09-17, 10:00 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well it sounds like you may have multiple problems or a combination of problems. Since the wheels are used they could be damaged or out of round which can cause the rough ride and shaking in the steering wheel. Also when you go with a lower profile tire you increase the stiffness of the sidewall and that will increase the stiffness of the ride and yes some people do just put up with the terrible ride because they like the look but you don't have. What size tires are you using and what brand are they. Post some pics of you car and wheels.

I see that you are in GA too. What part are you in?
Old 01-09-17, 11:00 AM
Tsellers17
Driver School Candidate

Default One of the tire size is different

Here is the rim that's dented

Thanks for the reply. They are 225/35zr20. Well, I actually just noticed that the new one he put on is 245/35zr 20. Idiot. Might that be a problem? I stay in Lilburn, GA.
Old 01-09-17, 04:22 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah that dent could definitely be the cause of your vibration and different tires is probably not helping things either. I am in Duluth so we are not far from each other. Always good to see more 1st Gen GS love in the area!!
Old 01-10-17, 10:29 AM
Tsellers17
Driver School Candidate

Default High maintenance

I've had it for like a year. I have had a lot of work done to it already. Changed all the spark plugs, alternator, starter, rear brakes, rear wheel bearing, harmonic balancing crankshaft pulley, throttle position sensor, air filter and radiator. Since I've got so much done to it, it's frustrating to currently be going through this ordeal with the wheels and tires. I expected to put them on there and be done with it. I noticed that you have the same model. I snooped around your posts and you seem to be very skilled at fixing these things up. I try to do whatever I can to it myself, but most of the time I need a mechanic to keep me on the road. Since we are so close, and you obviously enjoy working on your gs, is it at all possible that we could negotiate you working on mine? I have another working car, so it isn't very urgent. The last time I drove the Lexus, the damn thing would barely make it down the road. I don't know what's wrong with it, but all of the noise was coming from the rear on the right side. Whatever it is, it can't be the wheel bearing, because that's new. It even sounds like it would be a problem if I actually switched to the old tires too, but again, I don't know. I want to get the necessary repair done to it soon, so that I give these wheels a chance before I make any hasty decision about putting the old, boring wheels back on. I haven't even drove 1k miles on them yet. I have a guy that I usually take it to, but having different options wouldn't hurt. Are you interested?
Old 01-10-17, 12:26 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Sure not a problem I dont have a problem working on it. Send me a PM with your number and I will send you a text and we can set something up.
The following users liked this post:
DetAristo (01-10-17)
Old 01-27-17, 04:37 AM
Tsellers17
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Sure not a problem I dont have a problem working on it. Send me a PM with your number and I will send you a text and we can set something up.
I got it fixed this past Friday and now it's running great. All of the noise that I was referring to, and actually the uncomfortable ride is gone. The only sound it makes now is an occasional vibration. The problem with it was that the right exhaust pipe was loose and too close to the tire. I guess it was rattling and banging against the axle or something like that. What I thought was a serious problem was fixed for free! All the guy did was use a crowbar to reposition the muffler and that was it. The low profile tires were fine the whole time lol. They really ride very well. There's more rubber to grip the road, which is nice
Old 01-27-17, 10:43 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Fixed for free thats great!!! Time for some more mods.
Old 04-23-17, 03:54 PM
Tsellers17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Fixed for free thats great!!! Time for some more mods.
Hey there. Would you happen to be able to refer me to a reasonably priced, reputable body shop? I was involved in a accident while driving my gs yesterday. It's not totaled or anything, but the front passenger side door and fender got smashed really bad. Won't bother you with all the details, but if you tell me about a shop you trust that would give me a good deal nearby I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-23-17, 04:36 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Sent you a PM