GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Picked up a super clean 1994 GS.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 07:33 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Picked up a super clean 1994 GS.

Just thought I'd share my newest project. I currently have a 2004 LS430 UL and my wife has a 2015 GS350. Both are bagged with custom wood trunks and air suspension. My wife got transferred to Atlanta for work and the roads suck down there. Plus, with full custom trunks, we didn't have a trip car for us and our kids. So I started looking around for an inexpensive, reliable, comfortable car. Good luck with that! After looking at a few junky cars I was about to give up. I'm a Lexus Master Tech so I'm biased towards Toyota and Lexus. I found a first generation GS that had blown the radiator and the guy had driven it till it shut off. It needed a motor and he didn't want to put the money into fixing it.

Clean 1994 GS300

I was able to purchase it and went on the hunt for a new engine. I did a compression check on the old engine and found 25 psi on cylinder #1 and 0 psi on cylinder #2. I didn't go any further because I knew it would need costly machine work. I found a used engine from a friend of a friend that has done a turbo swap because his car had slightly overheated and he used that as an excuse to go all out and get a 2JZGTTE. I got it at a good price because it had been sitting for 2.5 years and it had been slightly overheated. So I got it on a stand and took it apart for cleaning and inspection.

Torn down

Dirty valves

Dirty pistons

Then I cleaned everything and started reassembling with new rings, seals and gaskets.

Clean head

Lapped in valves

Clean pistons with new, OEM rings

New, OEM valve stem seals

Almost fully assembled head

Block cleaned up and pistons and rings installed. With new water pump and timing set.

Making progress

Fully assembled engine with all accessories and wiring harness on.

I worked on it Saturday and got it all in and back together.

Ready for transplant

Old engine out

Waiting for new engine

Going in with new heart

Got her in

While I was doing all this work, I also replaced the timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, all coolant hoses including heater and throttle body hoses, engine and transmission mounts, radiator, distributor cap, rotor, and wires, spark plugs, two coolant temp sensors (had melted in the head) and all gaskets, o-rings, and seals. By the time everything was in, bolted up and hooked up it was getting late. My work closes at 6 on Saturday and I was ready to start her up at about 5:30 or so. I had charged the battery earlier during the week. I knew it was low but I thought it was from sitting for 3 months. I pulled the starter relay to prime the engine with oil and ... Nothing!
Battery had dropped to 4 volts. 😩 I grabbed our jump box and primed the engine. I put in the relay and went to start it up. Again nothing! My bad battery had killed the jump box! Since the parts department was closed and I was being rushed out so they could close the dealership, I didn't get her going. But with a new battery, I'm hoping she fires right up! I'll try that tomorrow. But I just wanted to share my progress.
Old 07-25-16, 06:18 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks very clean. Good luck! How were the bearings and valve guides?
Old 07-25-16, 12:04 PM
lildann
Driver

Originally Posted by Mandrake
Looks very clean. Good luck! How were the bearings and valve guides?
Thanks! Everything looked good. Cylinder walls too. Put the battery in on lunch today. Let her idle, warm up, and bleed the coolant then I set the timing on the distributor and now it's running smooth and quiet. Still have to clean her up and put on the covers but the hard part is done.

Old 07-25-16, 01:10 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Car looks very clean!!! I couldn't agree more that Atlanta roads suck that is why I try to avoid going downtown at all costs lol!! Where are you located in GA? I am a Toyota Master Tech so I definitely understand you Toyota/Lexus bias. Welcome to the 1st Gen GS family and good luck with your project!!
Old 07-25-16, 05:07 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

I support this thread! Awesome rebuild. Very clean lady!
Old 07-25-16, 06:21 PM
lildann
Driver

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Car looks very clean!!! I couldn't agree more that Atlanta roads suck that is why I try to avoid going downtown at all costs lol!! Where are you located in GA? I am a Toyota Master Tech so I definitely understand you Toyota/Lexus bias. Welcome to the 1st Gen GS family and good luck with your project!!
Thank you! I work in Duluth at Hennessy Lexus. I very rarely go to Atlanta but now that my wife works down there that may change. What Toyota dealer are you at?
Old 07-25-16, 06:22 PM
lildann
Driver

Originally Posted by joewitafro
I support this thread! Awesome rebuild. Very clean lady!
Thanks! I appreciate that. Got her out for a test drive today and found that she needs front caster bushings so that will be next.
Old 07-25-16, 10:25 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lildann
Thank you! I work in Duluth at Hennessy Lexus. I very rarely go to Atlanta but now that my wife works down there that may change. What Toyota dealer are you at?
I don't live very far from there. I was just at your dealership a few weeks ago picking up a license plate frame and checking out the GS-F. I work at Cobb County Toyota.
Old 07-26-16, 06:48 AM
lildann
Driver

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
I don't live very far from there. I was just at your dealership a few weeks ago picking up a license plate frame and checking out the GS-F. I work at Cobb County Toyota.
Nice! You going to Caffeine and Octane this weekend?
Old 07-26-16, 09:13 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure yet but more than likely. Last months was really good. The Lexus LC 500 Prototype was there and it looked amazing!!
Old 07-26-16, 09:16 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure yet but more than likely. Last months was really good. The Lexus LC 500 Prototype was there and it looked amazing!! If I go I would like to get a Lexus Section together. I usually get stuck parking behind the huge Dodge section lol.
Old 07-28-16, 11:22 PM
slinkytek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, Sometimes I wish I was in America with my GS300...

I don't know anyone in the UK that will want to spend time on my car fitting coilovers, let alone a full engine rebuild....
Old 07-29-16, 08:32 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slinkytek

I don't know anyone in the UK that will want to spend time on my car fitting coilovers, let alone a full engine rebuild....
You mean you can't find a mechanic or a friend to do it for free?
I help my friends and they help me but they won't put coilovers on for me or rebuild an engine.
Old 07-29-16, 07:06 PM
lildann
Driver

Originally Posted by slinkytek

Dang. That sucks. There's got to be someone there to help. This first generation GS is actually very rare at my work. Many of the people at my work have never seen one. We don't usually get the older cars coming to us anymore. And the ones that I've seen usually have the interiors torn up.
Old 07-29-16, 07:56 PM
lildann
Driver

Just figured I'd update the thread. After driving it for a quick test drive, I found that the front caster bushings were destroyed. Every time I hit the brakes there was a loud clunk. After I put it up on the lift to inspect it, I also found that the rear main seal was leaking. Badly! 😡 I had replaced it when I did the engine so I wasn't happy. So I pulled the transmission out. I found that I had gotten the wrong rear main seal. Again 😡. So I got the correct seal and installed it. I also replaced the transmission front pump seal while I had the transmission out. Now I had to fix the knocking noise. Bushings weren't available from Lexus, only the whole lower caster arm. I didn't want to spend $260 for new arms so I found some bushings on eBay for $60 for the set. I took out arms and pressed in the new bushings. I reinstalled the arms and put the front suspension back together. I took a quick test drive and checked for any leaks. None now. I had to leave to pick up the kids so I'll do the alignment tomorrow and clean and protect the leather.

Quick Reply: Picked up a super clean 1994 GS.