HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16, 08:39 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Lightbulb HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade

Hey all,

Thought I'd share my mod on getting a IS300 rear view mirror installed on my 1993 GS300. The mirror is from a 2002 IS300, but should be the same for 2002-2005 IS, GS, and RX300 models.

The IS300 mirror has a completely different mounting base so what you need to do it remove the ball joint from your mirror and swap it with the IS300 ball joint.

Step 1: Using a flat head, pry apart the IS300 mirror. This mirror is surprisingly easy to pry apart. Once you cracked the shell open, unplug the wire from the circuit board.

Step 2: Remove the screw that holds the metal base over the ball joint. Then use a flat head screwdriver to remove the ball joint plastic cushion. Now remove the other 4 screws so you can take the mount off along with the wire harness. Once you have the mount off, you can remove the wire harness from the base by carefully bending the small connector so it will fit inside the hole when removing it.

Step 3: Using a dremel, now you need to hack up your rear view mirror to get the mount off. Once you have removed the cut portion, remove the screw from the ball joint plate along with the plastic cushion to remove the base.

Step 4: Now it's time to put the GS300 mounting base on the IS300 mirror. Before you do anything, fish the wire harness through the hole and then install the mounting plate with the 4 screws to secure the wire harness. Put the ball joint plate over the ball joint cushion and only barely screw the 1 screw a little. Now what you need to do is pop the ball joint into the backside of the hole into the cushion hole. This will take some muscle and can only be done with the plate when it's loose. It's easier to pop the ball joint in with grease. Once you pop the ball joint inside the hole, tighten the ball joint plate with the 1 last screw. Now you are pretty much done.

I have not wired the mirror, but to power the mirror, you only need to focus on the black wire and red wire to power up the mirror. You will need to find a ACC source of power which might only be available from the dash area so you will need to fish a fused wire through the A-pillar. I believe all the 12V power from the map light area is a constant 12V source which will not work since you only want the mirror powered when the ignition is on.

I kind of rushed this DIY so hopefully I did not miss anything. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror2.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror3.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror4.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror8.jpg  

HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror9.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror5.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror6.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror7.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror10.jpg  

Old 01-26-16, 08:40 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

In for more pics
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror12.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror13.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror14.jpg   HOW TO: IS300 Compass Rear View Mirror Upgrade-ismirror15.jpg  
Old 01-27-16, 06:16 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks pretty good!! Do you have a plan for your power source?
Old 01-27-16, 06:26 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Looks pretty good!! Do you have a plan for your power source?
Thanks! I will probably end up putting the mirror in my SC
Old 09-02-21, 11:26 AM
KDOTKIRA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxor
Hey all,

Thought I'd share my mod on getting a IS300 rear view mirror installed on my 1993 GS300. The mirror is from a 2002 IS300, but should be the same for 2002-2005 IS, GS, and RX300 models.

The IS300 mirror has a completely different mounting base so what you need to do it remove the ball joint from your mirror and swap it with the IS300 ball joint.

Step 1: Using a flat head, pry apart the IS300 mirror. This mirror is surprisingly easy to pry apart. Once you cracked the shell open, unplug the wire from the circuit board.

Step 2: Remove the screw that holds the metal base over the ball joint. Then use a flat head screwdriver to remove the ball joint plastic cushion. Now remove the other 4 screws so you can take the mount off along with the wire harness. Once you have the mount off, you can remove the wire harness from the base by carefully bending the small connector so it will fit inside the hole when removing it.

Step 3: Using a dremel, now you need to hack up your rear view mirror to get the mount off. Once you have removed the cut portion, remove the screw from the ball joint plate along with the plastic cushion to remove the base.

Step 4: Now it's time to put the GS300 mounting base on the IS300 mirror. Before you do anything, fish the wire harness through the hole and then install the mounting plate with the 4 screws to secure the wire harness. Put the ball joint plate over the ball joint cushion and only barely screw the 1 screw a little. Now what you need to do is pop the ball joint into the backside of the hole into the cushion hole. This will take some muscle and can only be done with the plate when it's loose. It's easier to pop the ball joint in with grease. Once you pop the ball joint inside the hole, tighten the ball joint plate with the 1 last screw. Now you are pretty much done.

I have not wired the mirror, but to power the mirror, you only need to focus on the black wire and red wire to power up the mirror. You will need to find a ACC source of power which might only be available from the dash area so you will need to fish a fused wire through the A-pillar. I believe all the 12V power from the map light area is a constant 12V source which will not work since you only want the mirror powered when the ignition is on.

I kind of rushed this DIY so hopefully I did not miss anything. What do you guys think?
How did you remove the is300 mirror? I'm trying to remove my mirror without removing the epoxy that glues it to the glass.
Old 09-02-21, 01:55 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 747 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by KDOTKIRA
How did you remove the is300 mirror? I'm trying to remove my mirror without removing the epoxy that glues it to the glass.
Hello,

The mount on the IS300 mirror has little tabs on the back, to release them, it looks like you need to take the cover off and, while slightly pushing on it, twist the mirror clockwise. Below is the photo of how it looks from the back side for a reference.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 09-02-21 at 01:59 PM.