GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Dash Lighting LED upgrade Video - and punch list all in one place.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-15, 11:38 AM
djspock303
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Lighting LED upgrade Video - and punch list all in one place.

Ok everyone, slowly but surely I have been able to replace and update to LED lights etc. I plan to have an all encompassing video eventually that will go over step by step of how the GS300 should be done. *Note it is different than the Aristo*

Items on the punch list left to do.
1. Needle Repair, as you can see the Temp Needle, Tach, both do not work at all. The speedo & gas needles both work intermittently.

2. I want to refresh the "white" led lights which are currently these

Amazon.com: Jtech 10 x T5, 5050 SMD LED White Car Lights Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: Jtech 10 x T5, 5050 SMD LED White Car Lights Bulb: Automotive
because they are direct light so you can see its bright in spots and dull in others such as the 60mph to 80mph.
I want to find something that will fit and show light more evenly behind speedo etc.

I used the following blue ones here -
Amazon.com: Jtech 10 x T5, 5050 SMD LED Blue Car Lights Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: Jtech 10 x T5, 5050 SMD LED Blue Car Lights Bulb: Automotive
for Brights, Lights are on indicator, and Reverse. (Note: The "lights on indicator is a smaller incandescent bulb, but it will fit.)

All of the Notification Lights like check engine etc. Were all replaced with the White lights as well. Only exception was the "Gas is low Light" left it alone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next on to the climate control module:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...il#writeReview

I purchased a combination of 3mm T1, 4mm, & 5mm thinking these would just be plug and play. Well they were not so much plug in play. I don't want to blame the LED's its possible my board is just old and finicky, but they were erratic going on and off. I did pull the green toppers off the older bulbs and place them on the LED's when i could, however it was not necessary because i ordered green bulbs. So the only way i could fix the erratic going on and off was to pull the metal leads on both sides of the new LED bulb base and then solder them onto the board using a combination of flux and tin, and a steady hand.

I found the 4 mm were much easier to solder then the larger 5mm with same desired results. Like a said nothing just fit right in. Maybe it will for you, if not, be ready to solder. Also while you are testing if it doesn't work turn it 180 degrees. That rule pretty much applies for every light in the dash gauge, climate, radio, and the gear shift indicator lighting.

2. Would like to have the Climate Control LCD replaced, or a working one see replacements all the time for the sc300 and es300, and the damn ls400 and never for the gs300. -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Radio Punch List:

Have not fully investigated this one yet, i only have a couple of lights out around the 4-5 station button and maybe others i do not know about. So it is still a to do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gear Shift Indicator Lights
Pretty straight forward here i used Green and Red (Red Park - Green Go)
Amazon.com: Jtech 10 x T5, 5050 SMD LED Red Car Lights Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: Jtech 10 x T5, 5050 SMD LED Red Car Lights Bulb: Automotive
These also have small bulbs like the head lamp indicator on, but they will fit. Again if its not going , flip the LED 180 and try again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly I will probably update all the incandescent bulbs for interior lighting to LEDs, but that is not a priority for me at this time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to ask questions, these basically take time and patience with a few tools and knowledge. Other than that not an expensive upgrade by any means.

Dash Needles - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eedle-fix.html &
- AKA Tanin Automotive

Dash Gauges & Indicators - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ho-gauges.html *Note some minor differences from the Aristo, when doing this."

Climate Control - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rol-bulbs.html

Radio - some information that is sorta relevant, i will update after i fix the gs300 Pioneer unit - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-bulb-out.html

Last edited by djspock303; 06-28-15 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 08:38 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good info all in one place thanks!! I used the same bulb for my cluster back lights and I noticed the bright spots and the dark spots too. Please post if you want a bulb that will better distribute the light!
Old 06-30-15, 11:22 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

We sell the correct LED's with our needle kits.

www.taninautoelectronix.com