GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Welcome to Club Lexus! 1GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 12:54 PM
Tsellers17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey, new member of the club

Hello there. I am Tsellers17 and I am a new member as of yesterday. I have owned my 94 Lexus gs300 for a year. It's a beautiful car that I am proud to own. The mileage is 145,000. It's a royal blue color with the gold package and has Gray leather interior. It has a sunroof and moon roof. The a/c blows snow *****. It used to idle very rough and the rpms would jump, but it runs much better since I changed the throttle position sensor. I have put on new spark plugs, alternator, starter, radiator, harmonic balancing crankshaft pulley, New rear brakes, new rear wheel bearing and air filter. I only use premium unleaded fuel of course. I recently put used, 20 inch chrome rims with low profile tires on it. It was a month ago and I have endured only problems ever since. The tires are in good condition and one is actually new because I caught a flat as soon as I got them. The tires are 225/35zr20. However, the new one on the right rear is 245/35zr20. I should have made sure they gave me the right size, but I digress. The rims are in good condition too, except for one that has a dent in it. I absolutely love how they look. I usually wouldn't have indulged in an unnecessary expense such as these, but I came across an offer that I couldn't refuse. Most people like the style, flash and attractiveness of big, chrome wheels and I thought that it would increase the value of it. The car just acts like it isn't built to operate on these types of wheels though. I didn't realize how bumpy and uncomfortable the ride would be on low profile tires. With such little cushion, I feel and hear, every bump in the road. The last time that I drove it, the racket from the rear got really outrageous and the steering wheel started shaking. Whether or not this is directly related to the new wheels and tires is something that I'm not sure of. The car is currently not driveable until I get it fixed. I have thought about changing back to the regular tires once it's repaired but haven't decided yet. Does anyone have an idea of the root of my problem? Thoughts?

Here is the one that has the dent.
Old 01-10-17, 01:15 PM
DetAristo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are 235/35R20 up front and 245/35R20 out back. No issues.

Check your ball joints, your end links, all your bushings, your struts.
Name:  ImportDay_Driver_Side_zpsuhww7vli.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  258.2 KB
Old 01-10-17, 01:38 PM
Tsellers17
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by DetAristo

Cool, thank you for the reply. Its interesting to hear from someone with the same car and size wheels as me. I don't know why I've had so much trouble. That's a nice ride. How long has your car had those rims/tires on it?
Old 01-10-17, 04:16 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Those wheels look great on your car!! What kind of wheels are those?
Old 01-16-17, 05:19 AM
DjBlitz111
Driver School Candidate

Default 93' gs300 rolling but not starting

excuse my French but I might have just ******ed up my car. About 2 weeks ago my battery died and needed a jump. Had I found out when I walked outside my grandad connected the jumper cables on my car negative to positive and positive to negative.
after I switched the cables to the correct sides no sparks had occurred. Now I've changed my battery and my car now won't even start. No auto tilt, power locks, nothing! Someone please help find the solution as to why my baby won't start. (I don't wanna have to junk her)
Old 01-16-17, 09:24 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DjBlitz111
excuse my French but I might have just ******ed up my car. About 2 weeks ago my battery died and needed a jump. Had I found out when I walked outside my grandad connected the jumper cables on my car negative to positive and positive to negative.
after I switched the cables to the correct sides no sparks had occurred. Now I've changed my battery and my car now won't even start. No auto tilt, power locks, nothing! Someone please help find the solution as to why my baby won't start. (I don't wanna have to junk her)
Sounds like you probably blew a few fuses when the cables were hooked up backwards. Start by checking the Main/Alt fuse. If that one is blew then pretty much nothing will work. If its blown then obviously replace it and check the others.
Old 01-17-17, 12:13 PM
DjBlitz111
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Sounds like you probably blew a few fuses when the cables were hooked up backwards. Start by checking the Main/Alt fuse. If that one is blew then pretty much nothing will work. If its blown then obviously replace it and check the others.
maybe it could be the fuses. But I'm not sure which one. I forgot to mention that after replacing the battery after all that jazz, the car kept a rolling start and the engine would never turn over.
Old 02-01-17, 07:57 PM
DetAristo
Rookie

Originally Posted by DjBlitz111
100A fuse. In the fuse box.

Ask me how I know.

My battery was so dead that when I hooked the jump pack to it, the surge blew the fuse. I will never, EVER buy Optima again.
Old 02-14-17, 08:40 AM
Grybeard42
Driver School Candidate

Default 1st gen 94 GS 300

So just pick her up couple of days ago. Has the 2JZ GE in it. I have some plans for it and plan on combing the forum to figure out the right way to tune it? Maybe even a swap to manual which would be awesome. It is the two tone white with tan leather interior. It needs a paint job planning on going the same color cause it's the color is always wanted. If anyone knows the color code that would be awesome. Any help or advice I would be open to add well. Also what would be a good idea to go aftermarket head unit and Amp? Or keep it stock? Are the touch screen head units from later models compatible? Sorry if this is not the place for questions never joined a forum before...excited..will have pictures of my lady later.
Old 02-14-17, 05:31 PM
DetAristo
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Those wheels look great on your car!! What kind of wheels are those?
Sorry I didn't reply.

They have "Cosmic Japan" stamped on them. No idea as I'm thinking they came from Japan on the car and I can't find anything about Cosmic wheels
Old 02-16-17, 11:05 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Thank you for the info and beautiful setup! Feel free to PM if you ever have any mod questions.
Old 02-23-17, 09:00 AM
bannisseht
Driver School Candidate

hey all,

greetings from NL here. i've been reading the forum for some time now but never bothered to post anything.
here is my gs300. everything stock apart from the rims (previous owner put them in) and the audio system, i've installed a tablet as headunit.
Old 04-05-17, 08:51 PM
Wickd
Driver School Candidate

Hello
Old 04-05-17, 10:54 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wickd
Hello
Looks good!!
Old 06-22-17, 01:22 PM
phemobay
Driver School Candidate

I GOT MY 1994 MODEL IN JANUARY 2017, WITH 200K KM AND STILL RUN LIKE NEW.

I CHANGED THE IGNITION COMPLETELY, BUT NOW THE ENGINEER MISSED THE TIMING BUT THE ROTOR SET TO NORMAL.

WHEN I DO A SHARP REV, I HEAR A SOUND LIKE kra and stopped as move until i do another sharp rev but whenever I rev slowly it wont give the sound any help?

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 1GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE