GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Finally, A cheap fix for bad hood struts!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 06:36 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in the GB. I just hope they've found a way to make the new ones last longer than the original.
Old 01-10-03, 06:40 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are trunk and hood support shocks the same or different? My trunk ones were replaced 2 years ago, seem to be holding up fine, but the trunk lid won't come up at all like it does on other cars when the lock is first released. Hood shocks work fine when it's warm outside, don't hold anything when cold. If the price is good, I'd get at least 2.
Old 01-10-03, 06:42 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

How would one go about finding out about the possiobility of a group buy? Does anyone have a relationship with Steve at Carson Toyota?
Old 01-11-03, 02:10 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Sovero1
Are trunk and hood support shocks the same or different? My trunk ones were replaced 2 years ago, seem to be holding up fine, but the trunk lid won't come up at all like it does on other cars when the lock is first released. Hood shocks work fine when it's warm outside, don't hold anything when cold. If the price is good, I'd get at least 2.
I don't think our trunk is suppose to pop open when we release the switch. thats ALOT of pressure to be able to open the trunk. i have to use 2 hands and slide my finger in the crack to open my trunk.

Todd, sorry for the confusion. i thought you were talking about the clips. lol.

yes we need a group buy on these things. i think they cost somewhere aroung 75 bucks a piece.
Old 01-11-03, 02:57 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jmai22

I don't think our trunk is suppose to pop open when we release the switch. thats ALOT of pressure to be able to open the trunk. i have to use 2 hands and slide my finger in the crack to open my trunk.

On other cars, the trunk lid lifts up a few inches when it's first unlocked. I am not sure, but that may be due to the fact that even a 90 Lincoln Towncar uses springs as opposed to shocks. My Lex is just like yours in the sence of having to slide the fingers in the crack to lift the lid. I, however, don't need to use two hands to lift the lid (it comes up fairly easily with just one), but my shocks are only about 2 years old. Anyway, it's a pain, especially if you are carrying something heavy which requires the use of both hands.

On the other hand, the benefit of our heavy trunk lid (or weak shocks?) is that if you drive off with an unlocked trunk, the lid won't swing open at the most inconvenient moment. Also, if you leave the car and forget to lock the trunk, nobody will be able to see that it's actually open.

Last edited by Sovero1; 01-11-03 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-11-03, 04:40 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Sovero1

On other cars, the trunk lid lifts up a few inches when it's first unlocked. I am not sure, but that may be due to the fact that even a 90 Lincoln Towncar uses springs as opposed to shocks. My Lex is just like yours in the sence of having to slide the fingers in the crack to lift the lid. I, however, don't need to use two hands to lift the lid (it comes up fairly easily with just one), but my shocks are only about 2 years old. Anyway, it's a pain, especially if you are carrying something heavy which requires the use of both hands.

On the other hand, the benefit of our heavy trunk lid (or weak shocks?) is that if you drive off with an unlocked trunk, the lid won't swing open at the most inconvenient moment. Also, if you leave the car and forget to lock the trunk, nobody will be able to see that it's actually open.
thats a good way too look at it..

you also have to remeber, on honda's lincoln, and other cars that pop up when you release the trunk its because its pretty much just sheet metal. our trunk door is very well built. it also has the center light garnish which is also added weight.
Old 01-20-03, 04:04 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Somebody PM me if we do the group buy on the OEM hood\trunk shocks. I'd like to pick up a pair for my trunk. I really don't want to spend more than $50 for a pair but any kind of discount from their current mark-up would be great.
Old 01-24-03, 08:06 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

AutoZone, Advanced auto, Pep Boys.............
Old 02-13-03, 03:12 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... the trunk is not supposed to pop up just comes up a little even with new struts.

I replaced the ones for the trunk about a year about but i too need some for the hood... they are weak now.. but will hold up as long as i am on level ground..

Thanks for the suggestion for the cheap fix.

However, i think i will bite the bullet get some replacements.. i will just call my buddy at the parts dept. But i think i am going to wait until the go all the way out.
Old 02-13-03, 02:42 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Alright man, good luck. Are you going to install them yourself?

Is there a trick to taking them out or is it pretty straightforward? I was thinking about taking one out and going to the parts stores around town to see what they say.

And to answer someone else's question, I've seen other posts on this topic and they said that the hood/trunk shocks for our cars are the same model. But who knows. For some reason my hood shocks are fine while the trunk shocks are just dead weight. Absolutely worthless.
Old 02-13-03, 03:47 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Originally posted by Pianoman72

And to answer someone else's question, I've seen other posts on this topic and they said that the hood/trunk shocks for our cars are the same model. But who knows. For some reason my hood shocks are fine while the trunk shocks are just dead weight. Absolutely worthless.
That question was mine. I think that trunk shocks go first cuz we use 'em a LOT more. Also maybe it's how they are positioned in the trunk vs. the hood (pressure wise). Like you said, who knows?
Old 02-14-03, 01:51 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were talking to me... yeah i am going to install them myself. I replaced the truck shocks myself... Its straightforward/easy

Also, we open the trunk all the time.. how often do you really raise your hood? Surely not as much as you raise your trunk.
Old 11-11-14, 02:26 PM
lexusmayne
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up ShockLock an innovative solution to failed struts

I came across this tool at SEMA, called ShockLock (www.shocklock.ca).

Its a one handed, all aluminium - non damaging tool that can support up to 100lbs in weight. I purchased one for $25 at the show and have used it on my IS300 and it works like a charm.

Its nice because it goes overtop of the dead strut and is completely out of the way while working under the hood. Also that worry of the hood coming crashing down is gone just because this tool clamps on nice and tight.
Attached Thumbnails Finally, A cheap fix for bad hood struts!-img_3239.jpg  

Last edited by lexusmayne; 11-11-14 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add an image
Old 01-29-15, 09:18 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Just ordered that shock lock! LOL, figured for now it will be a cheap easy useable product rather than replacing the struts. Will update on use!
Old 01-30-15, 04:28 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought new hood struts from ebay for about $25 and they have been working great!! I just looked and there are several sets on ebay.

Quick Reply: Finally, A cheap fix for bad hood struts!