GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

CAUTION.....LS400 caliper grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 12:00 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CAUTION.....LS400 caliper grinding

FYI...pics from another CL member....this is the result from grinding the LS400 caliper too much....good luck to all those who do this mod.

Old 03-09-12, 09:02 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you can see from my pictures below, that guy must have been doing something wrong. My grinding didn't get near that deep, and didn't even get close to that part of the piston. Great mod for those who aren't dumb!

If you are interested in looking at the DIY thread for the conversion with more pictures, please follow the link below
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post7075703

Last edited by Carfreak70; 03-09-12 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-09-12, 09:04 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PHML
FYI...pics from another CL member....this is the result from grinding the LS400 caliper too much....good luck to all those who do this mod.

l was an *** hole friend that kept telling him not to be a ***** and keep grinding
Old 03-09-12, 09:10 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

FYI: Friends dont let friends grind the calipers.. its such a safety hazard.

Might as well go RCA. you get to lower your car in the process
Old 03-09-12, 09:15 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vwynn
FYI: Friends dont let friends grind the calipers.. its such a safety hazard.

Might as well go RCA. you get to lower your car in the process
This topic of RCA has been covered. They are $150 plus the price of LS calipers which are $160 (on a good day) which turns out to be more expensive than a Supra TT set of calipers which (from what I understand) fit without any sort of grinding, and have MUCH better rotor and pad options.
Old 03-09-12, 12:14 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Oh and might I ask why this is stickied?
Old 03-09-12, 12:40 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
This topic of RCA has been covered. They are $150 plus the price of LS calipers which are $160 (on a good day) which turns out to be more expensive than a Supra TT set of calipers which (from what I understand) fit without any sort of grinding, and have MUCH better rotor and pad options.
Not really. Most supra calipers go for about 400-500 for just the fronts (From what I've noticed so far)
Old 03-09-12, 12:42 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
Not really. Most supra calipers go for about 400-500 for just the fronts (From what I've noticed so far)
No they do not. Had the mod not deleted my comments in the other thread, I showed 5 threads from FS that either had full kits (including rotors and pads in good condition for $400) or calipers for <300.
Old 03-09-12, 01:01 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Relax, as I mentioned its it was just an observation. Here's the cheapest I've found on these forums and ebay. I'm sure you can find them under $300 but its not too very common

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...brand-new.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...t-shields.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...brand-new.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Supra-TT...b93be8&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-93-98-To...a56dea&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Supra...7c3bf5&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-NEW-O...d7088d&vxp=mtr
Old 03-09-12, 01:42 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Oh and might I ask why this is stickied?
Why wouldn't this qualify as a sticky? If a member decides to do this mod...just don't get carried away.

Why are you against cautioning/warning CL members of what can happen if you grind too much? Doesn't sound like your a team player here, huh?
Old 03-09-12, 01:54 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
Why wouldn't this qualify as a sticky? If a member decides to do this mod...just don't get carried away.

Why are you against cautioning/warning CL members of what can happen if you grind too much? Doesn't sound like your a team player here, huh?
I seriously hope you are kidding.

Why would it qualify as a sticky? Do we need to have a sticky thread saying that putting gasoline in your car could potentially cause it to explode? I have covered in my DIY thread that it is possible to grind the caliper too far, it was addressed in the other thread that I assume you deleted posts in and locked. This has never been stickied before, and I know this topic can't be too new.

As far as the CL thing goes, that is the most stupid comment I have ever seen you post. I can see where you are coming from in some of your posts, but that was extremely uncalled for. You are personally attacking me, for trying to help save members on this board from spending money they do not need to. I didn't buy the RCA's and mine work just fine. If I was against warning CL then I wouldn't have posted in my DIY thread about how it can be dangerous.
Old 03-09-12, 01:59 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

I'm pretty relaxed man. It's frustrating that you and PHML have not performed this modification on a first generation GS, but you guys are quick to post suggestions on how to do it. The RCA's are not 100% necessary, and this grinding business is not scary, or spooky, or sketchy in any way. I can understand why PHML has posted about them, because he has some for sale, and have been for sale for over a month, and he is trying to get rid of them. It honestly seems like he is trying to con someone into buying them from him, so he can get rid of them. Now I have not accused him of this, because I don't know him, and I don't know why he is trying to convince people to use them. I cannot understand it. I have had these calipers for 1000+ miles now, and they work perfectly fine. I cannot imagine someone having an issue with these calipers as long as they follow my DIY decently close.

I do see where you guys are coming from-to an extent, but it was taken too far. I have warned people, you have warned people, but persuading someone to buy something they don't need is a step too far.
Old 03-09-12, 02:47 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

I'm pretty relaxed man. It's frustrating that you and PHML have not performed this modification on a first generation GS, but you guys are quick to post suggestions on how to do it. The RCA's are not 100% necessary, and this grinding business is not scary, or spooky, or sketchy in any way.
Wow you are really trying hard to escalate this to the next level. You're right I have not done it on a 1st gen but I have on the 2nd which is EXACTLY the same knuckle and ball joints. So it is the same.

I can understand why PHML has posted about them, because he has some for sale, and have been for sale for over a month, and he is trying to get rid of them. It honestly seems like he is trying to con someone into buying them from him, so he can get rid of them. Now I have not accused him of this, because I don't know him, and I don't know why he is trying to convince people to use them.
I've ordered from Pete a few times times and he's a stand up guy. He sells them all the time because he knows the guy who makes them, which is why the thread isn't closed. Many companies make RCA's so how is it a "con". I'm not trying to bash you but you blew this up way farther than it needed it to be. There's nothing wrong with giving people a heads up on the potential danger of grinding. Especially for those who have never attempted it. Spending $150 for RCA's is hardly a a waste of money when it makes the install a direct bolt-on without compromising anything. Lets say someone tried to grind and they went just 1mm too far well them now they just wasted $200 on calipers.

I cannot understand it. I have had these calipers for 1000+ miles now, and they work perfectly fine. I cannot imagine someone having an issue with these calipers as long as they follow my DIY decently close.

I do see where you guys are coming from-to an extent, but it was taken too far. I have warned people, you have warned people, but persuading someone to buy something they don't need is a step too far.
REALLY? You don't see anything wrong with grinding the nut and bolt that holds your lower ball joint on? Just because grinding worked out for you doesn't mean it its more ideal. Hell, you can drive with your feet but doesn't make it a good friggin idea. Tell me this, aside from the cost of the RCA what are the downside? NONE!
Old 03-09-12, 02:51 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
Wow you are really trying hard to escalate this to the next level. You're right I have not done it on a 1st gen but I have on the 2nd which is EXACTLY the same knuckle and ball joints

I've ordered from Pete a few times times and he's a stand up guy. He sells them all the time because he knows the guy who makes them, which is why the thread isn't closed. Many companies make RCA's so how is it a "con". I'm not trying to bash you but you blew this up way farther than it needed it to be. There's nothing wrong with giving people a heads up on the potential danger of grinding. Especially for those who have never attempted it. Spending $150 for RCA's is hardly a a waste of money when it makes the install a direct bolt-on without compromising anything. Lets say someone tried to grind and they went just 1mm too far well them now they just wasted $200 on calipers.

REALLY? You don't see anything wrong with grinding the nut and bolt that holds your lower ball joint on? Just because grinding worked out for you doesn't mean it its more ideal. Hell, you can drive with your feet but doesn't make it a good friggin idea. Tell me this, aside from the cost of the RCA what are the downside? NONE!
Who's mad now?

As for your last question-aside from the cost nothing. But that's the problem....the cost...
Old 03-09-12, 02:55 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Who's mad now?

As for your last question-aside from the cost nothing. But that's the problem....the cost...
LOL I'm not even close to mad just stating the facts. Moral of the story buck up and save the headache. If you can't justify $150 for integrity and safety don't touch your car. These words of wisdom has been brought to you by YaKuZa_GS PEACE!!!

Quick Reply: CAUTION.....LS400 caliper grinding