GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

CAUTION.....LS400 caliper grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 02:56 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to unsubscribe to this thread. Fill the minds of CL with useless information and parts they don't need. Doesn't bother me. RCA's are useless. That is all
Old 03-09-12, 02:59 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
LOL I'm not even close to mad just stating the facts. Moral of the story buck up and save the headache. If you can't justify $150 for integrity and safety don't touch your car. These words of wisdom has been brought to you by YaKuZa_GS PEACE!!!
Ok-one last thing before I go.
Buck up and spend the same amount on Supra TT calipers which are better.
What you're saying is EXACTLY what my analogy is saying.
What your saying is I should go buy silver for the price of gold.
Old 03-09-12, 03:12 PM
m1k3yg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see the point in him being flamed if he's just sharing info on how to make ls400 calipers work on the gs, not only is 89% of the info not on this forum but when someone posts a write up he gets flamed, you don't have to do every mod that people write up for, I dont plan on cutting my tranny cable to make my trans shift better, nor do I plan on retrofitting bmw hid projectors on my headlights, they're posted to share info, you're not pressured to do it and obviously everyone has different ways to do it, I really don't think people on here are stupid enough to not know that if you're altering the original shape of a car part there's a chance you could completely screw it up, come on now guys really?
Old 03-09-12, 04:22 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
I'm pretty relaxed man. It's frustrating that you and PHML have not performed this modification on a first generation GS, but you guys are quick to post suggestions on how to do it.
Yes, I have NOT done this for the 1GS, but have done it myself on my 2GS...similar...if not the same.

The RCA's are not 100% necessary, and this grinding business is not scary, or spooky, or sketchy in any way. I can understand why PHML has posted about them, because he has some for sale, and have been for sale for over a month, and he is trying to get rid of them. It honestly seems like he is trying to con someone into buying them from him, so he can get rid of them. Now I have not accused him of this, because I don't know him, and I don't know why he is trying to convince people to use them. I cannot understand it.
I didn't say RCAs were 100% necessary...so don't be misquoting me. I even said that if they work for you...great!! I said the grinding of the caliper and bolt was spooky...and ghetto imo....and then you went ballistic to justify your point.

I have not posted in these caliper shaving threads that I sell RCAs in the classified section....so how can I be trying to convice or con ppl to buy? You asked me where its for $150, and i replied to you by searching craigslist. You brought up my CL classified FS threads...not me.

I have had these calipers for 1000+ miles now, and they work perfectly fine. I cannot imagine someone having an issue with these calipers as long as they follow my DIY decently close.
I've had my RCAs for years....30mm, then 40mm, and now 18mm....and its perfectly fine too....no shaving required or the chance of puncturing the caliper brake fluid reservoir.

I do see where you guys are coming from-to an extent, but it was taken too far. I have warned people, you have warned people, but persuading someone to buy something they don't need is a step too far.
Again, prove to me where I have persuaded someone to buy something they don't need. I'd be the greatest salesman in the world if I had this ability...LOL!!

It IS irresponsible for you to say grinding worked for you...so you should do it too.

Fortunately, you wised up...and only now you have posted up a DIY thread with a disclaimer.
Old 03-11-12, 12:46 AM
Superman93
Driver School Candidate

r.c.a.'s are pointless, you just cant be a total retard, every post posts says to grind the inner tie rod bolt that way you don't go to deep, and idk about everybody spending hella money on even used ones i got a pair with new pads and rotters for $90 total!
Old 03-11-12, 04:12 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Superman93
r.c.a.'s are pointless, you just cant be a total retard, every post posts says to grind the inner tie rod bolt that way you don't go to deep, and idk about everybody spending hella money on even used ones i got a pair with new pads and rotters for $90 total!
Thank you! lol This is exactly what I am saying.

The only reason I really Splerged for my calipers, is because I previously purchased rebuilt calipers from Advanceautoparts.com, and for some reason I could not get them to bleed properly. So I returned it all and purchased used ones that I knew worked. I also bought new rotors and pads, so basically my setup is all new.
Old 03-11-12, 04:12 PM
Superman93
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! lol This is exactly what I am saying.

The only reason I really Splerged for my calipers, is because I previously purchased rebuilt calipers from Advanceautoparts.com, and for some reason I could not get them to bleed properly. So I returned it all and purchased used ones that I knew worked. I also bought new rotors and pads, so basically my setup is all new.
My set up is pretty mew too because it was off of a wrecked car, they serviced the car before they messed it up.
Old 03-11-12, 04:15 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Superman93
My set up is pretty mew too because it was off of a wrecked car, they serviced the car before they messed it up.
Sounds like you lucked up! Get another set and sell them-make some profit!
Old 04-04-13, 04:40 AM
is300nat
Driver School Candidate

im not gonna argue over **** on the internet, but just sayin, if you do go to far, and if the calipers are aluminum, then whats stopping someone from welding it up in a circumstance like this small whole, throw a good bead across it, and then grind the castle nut and bolt or buy the RCAs but still props for trying, everybody Fu*K$ up, its in the human nature, but looks like there is one way or another to fix a fu** up like that rather than junking the caliper and throwing the money invested in the garbage, i mean if you can grind and it not alter the integrity of the parts then screw it, why not, RCAs are pricey for what they are (small pieces of precise machined aluminum, but if 150 to 200 bucks is the lowest price someone can go on a set of them its pretty messed up, id probably do the RCAs if i found them for the front and rear for 250, but 150 to 200 just for the front is slightly rediculous IMO and has anyone put the LS400 rears on an IS300? and this mod should be the same for an IS300 correct?
Old 04-04-13, 04:46 AM
is300nat
Driver School Candidate

i found 98-2000 LS400 calipers for 25 bucks a piece used in perfectly good working condition, front LS400 rotors with ceramic pads for 100 bucks, so by grinding i can do the LS400 conversion for 150 bucks, sorry i only give my secret for extremely cheap parts out to friends and close ones, and btw i can find IS300 manual clutch and brake pedals all day for about 125 to 200 bucks ( most people find them for 500 to 1000 because of how rare they are), if i wasnt turbo and i could run a weakass W55 and it not brake, i could buy all the parts used to do a manual swap in my car for 1500 to 1700, letting you GS guys know, and if you want a part or need a part let me know and i will tell you what price i can get it for and if you want it give me a bit and i will let you know how much itd be for me to get it for you and ship it to you

just looked and the LS400 calipers run from 25 dollars each at the cheapest to 100 dollars each and the most expensive

Last edited by is300nat; 04-04-13 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-05-13, 12:55 PM
Stephendj1
Rookie

Sorry but grinding calipers is pure stupidity.

To me it was lucky he went right through, what if he'd left a tiny fraction of an inch & they'd failed the first time they were really needed?

If you don't think nightpager RCA's are worth the expense (I didn't) get a machine shop to make some up, it'll cost practically nothing.
Old 04-08-13, 12:01 PM
is300nat
Driver School Candidate

yeah i agree grind isnt the best idea but if you do it how the one guy that posted the thread about it you shouldnt have anything to worry about, you just slightly grind the caliper and the actual balljoint bolt and nut so you arent taking much off the caliper, this guy was trying to grind just the caliper and not the ball joint bolt and nut, and what about someone like me that are on lowering springs so being able to re adjust the front to match the back isnt really an option, so my option to go with RCAs to keep the front in from sitting 1 to 2 inches lower is to put RCAs on the rear too, and havent found any for the rear of an IS300 as of now

and can you get the the software drawing for your RCAs that you would possible sale for a low price so that it could be simpily loaded into a CNC or Mill to have them made?
Old 04-09-13, 03:19 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

I put the ls400 front setup on my 93 and it was under $200 for all new pads, rotors, calipers. I did a minor amount of grinding on the caliper and a minor amount on the tip of the ball joint bolt. The part of the bolt I grinded on has nothing to do with its structural integrity. This kit was a cheap upgrade and easy to get. It filled out my 17" wheels nicely as well.

On my 94 I have a full stop tech kit and 19" wheels.

The ls400 kit is good if you are competent and on a budget. Warning posts like this one are good for those who are not too familiar with mechanical workings. Let's all stop arguing and move towards the greater good of the community. I personally love these cars which is why I have 2 and doing a full aristo swap. I plan on keeping it for long time and information on this site has helped me out. Its fine to post your opinion whether its rca or supra brakes etc but no need for hostility. Post your opinion and why you think its a better option and let the end user decide.
Old 04-11-13, 05:12 AM
is300nat
Driver School Candidate

hey NIX i have an IS300 and have been looking at doing the LS400 brake upgrade, after grinding the ball joint bolt slightly did you try to take it off? i am willing to do it if i can still remove the ball joint nut, but after seeing pics of the ginding to it, it looks like the threads are so screwed up that it would be some trouble and cussing to get it off if you ever have to
Old 04-11-13, 03:28 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Its easy to get the nut off and ball joint out, just putting the nut back on takes some talent. You just have to turn the nut by hand while keeping it level since the tip is ground at an angle it wants to cross thread. Ironically I just did that yesterday on mine. I had to replace the front knuckle on my old GS. Had some wheel stud issues and I had a spare hub.

Like this post says just be cautious when grinding on and steering or brake parts. I've had my ls400 kit on for about a year and I've done some pretty hard brake tests(130-0, stop and go traffic) and no issues or warpage. Both my stock GS 300 had warped rotors bad. I feel the ls400 setup is a good balance with the stock rear.

Quick Reply: CAUTION.....LS400 caliper grinding