GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Help!! Dying Of Smoke Inhalation

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 10:17 PM
Glock20C
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Dying Of Smoke Inhalation

Hello my fellow GS lovers out there. My 95 GS300 is smoking, I am broke and possible want to D.Y.I for the issue. The problem is I don't know what needs to be fixed. I have taken a few pictures of the problem area. I just want to know what you guys/gals think needs to be replaced by looking at the pictures if possible. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 04-30-11, 10:24 PM
Glock20C
Driver School Candidate

This is one area the smoke is coming out of. Pic #1 Is the top of the area. Pic#2 Is a close up of where the oil is leaking/burning and producing smoke. Pic# 3 Is the other area the smoke/Oil is coming from. Pic#4 Is a close up of the 2nd area where oil and smoke are coming from.
Attached Thumbnails Help!! Dying Of Smoke Inhalation-engine-left-upper.jpg   Help!! Dying Of Smoke Inhalation-engine-front-close.jpg   Help!! Dying Of Smoke Inhalation-engine-front-rear.jpg   Help!! Dying Of Smoke Inhalation-engine-front-rear-2.jpg  
Old 05-02-11, 01:51 AM
Stolen
Driver

Hmm, replace the valve cover gaskets like I did, the oil is seeping from them bad. Then its dripping on your exaust manifold causing the smoke. If those gaskets are bad I would recommand changing the O ring on the distributer also. But, also when u have thr valve covers off, u might as well change the spark plugs and wires, or at least pull the plugs check them to see if they too are oil fouled!!!
Old 05-02-11, 04:38 PM
Glock20C
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks!!

Stolen thanks for the info my friend. Im going to get started on the work right away (well when I get my next check). When I do the work/tear it up I will send you an update. Peace out
Old 05-02-11, 06:41 PM
Hamster
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking forward to pics and update. I just picked up my first Lexus tonight and it has a super-leaky valve cover gasket. I'm gonna be doing that, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, dizzy oring, etc...
Old 05-02-11, 08:02 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if you guys DO end up changing the spark plugs,
if it can be afforded get iridiums from NGK or Denso(~6-7$ each plug...autozone or rockauto.com)(the have a very thin electrode tip).
the life span on then is anywhere from 45,000mi(few manufacturers) to 60,000mi. They operate better than your generic large electrode spark plug, and they will last much longer(provided your engine is not on its last leg). Not only that buy you wont have to take off your throttle body as often when the time comes to replace spark plugs due to them being rated for 60,000 mi vs the 20,000km(~12,500mi) on the stock toyota NGK & Denso(non-iridiums).

Also for the future too, if you are going turbo, they offer them in different heat ranges too. This is better suited for your high performance application, if need be.

OH, and do yourself a favor.... stay away from Bosch Platinum , Bosch Platinum +2, Bosch Platinum +4. The electrode is recessed into the white ceramic insulator. I personally had experience on my previous toyota and within a 8 mi drive round trip(after just installing them) it got progressively worse to the point of misfiring. My old previous plugs (in bad shape) I had just changed out were 3 times better than this new set of Bosch platinum +2's. I returned them to find out a gentleman with an late 80's jaguar X-- had just did the same thing before me, only he went into the trash at autozone, found and used his old plugs to get him to the dealership.

It may work for the VW boys, but it is "questionable" for our toyota's.

Last edited by kene; 05-02-11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-03-11, 12:16 AM
Hamster
Driver School Candidate

Nothing but oem recommendations for me. I used to work at a Mitsubishi dealer and I saw constantly the effects of the wrong spark plugs and wires. Lol. Bosch plugs suck all around. I couldn't tell you how many customers I tried explaining to that they are better off buying the plugs through us the first time and save the money. They always came back in with their tail between their legs. Haha
Old 05-06-11, 12:33 AM
jaysee
Driver School Candidate

Make sure u get decent valve cover gaskets I orderd a top end kit off ebay and only 1 of them fit corectly all gaskets were good quality but one of the vcg was shrank wayto small it was a eristic gasket set
Old 05-06-11, 02:01 AM
Stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by Glock20C
Stolen thanks for the info my friend. Im going to get started on the work right away (well when I get my next check). When I do the work/tear it up I will send you an update. Peace out
No problem friend, this is what the forums are for. Just take your time doing the work. Keep in mind the throttle body is a coolant bypass on the bottom. Make sure when you are putting it back together you reconnect the 2 coolant lines. If you forget like I did you will flood out the spark plug valley and foul all the new plugs. This happened to me, it can be fixed by pulling everything and drying the plugs, but try to avoid the double work. Make sure all vaccum lines are reconnected and all bolts on throttle body are in place & secure. If not the car will run like crap. Goodluck!!! If you experiece any problems post, I can walk u through solutions.
Old 05-16-11, 05:44 AM
Glock20C
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Thanks for the new info Jaysee, Hamster, Kene!!! Yo Stolen I said I was gonna update when I had it fixed or broke something. I got the throttle body and the intake tube off, but the "Y" shaped pipe is hell to get off. I mean theres bolts and nuts in places I couldnt imagine they'd fit. I've spent a total of 4hrs on the job... still working on the Y tube. Theres one more bolt that I think will allow me to remove the tube(hopefully). I messed around and broke the right PCV valve on top of the valve cover and some other connector that connected two hoses... I've scheduled 3.5 hr to work on the job today.. I will post another update and maybe some pics after that. Peace out!!
Old 05-18-11, 06:43 AM
slammd_gs3
Driver

Where in ga are you?
Old 05-18-11, 09:08 AM
Stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by Glock20C
Thanks for the new info Jysee, Hamster, Kene!!! Yo Stolen I said I was gonna update when I had it fixed or broke something. I got the throttle body and the intake tube off, but the "Y" shaped pipe is hell to get off. I mean theres bolts and nuts in places I couldnt imagine they'd fit. I've spent a total of 4hrs on the job... still working on the Y tube. Theres one more bolt that I think will allow me to remove the tube(hopefully). I messed around and broke the right PCV valve on top of the valve cover and some other connector that connected two hoses... I've scheduled 3.5 hr to work on the job today.. I will post another update and maybe some pics after that. Peace out!!
I think the last nut your talking about is the one on the left on the bottom. Use a long extension and a swivel adapter, and should be able to reach it. I actually took out the studs that the nuts are on, and moved them to the top when I put it back together. It made it easier I think.
Old 05-19-11, 07:06 PM
Glock20C
Driver School Candidate

Question

valve covers removed. anyone know what the hose in the back or its connector is called? I leaned up against it & it snapped @ the connector.

The first 3 red cirlces: Oil soaked spark plugs

The circle in the back with the arrow pointing to it is the hose and the connector.
Attached Thumbnails Help!! Dying Of Smoke Inhalation-95-gs-300-covers.jpg  

Last edited by Glock20C; 05-20-11 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-20-11, 11:00 AM
Stolen
Driver

You talking about the coolant hose in the back next to the fire wall? Think its for heater not a100%, thought it was metal though. Im not sure whts it called go to the dealer and act like u want to buy it, once they point out the part on the computer and give the name of it say I have to go.lol Thts just if all else fails, and no one gives u an answer. Let me know how it wrks out. Never changed tht part.
Old 05-23-11, 05:37 PM
Glock20C
Driver School Candidate

Stolen thanks for the reply! Your psychic automobile knowledge helped again. After u said that part might have something to do with the heater, I googled for like 2hrs and came up with a name for it, "heater valve". Unfortunately it cost $136 plus tax at the dealer. Found it online for as low as $84 but I needed it like right now so I opted for the dealer. Ok so I put the gaskets on, replaced the oil soaked plugs with NKG laser iridium, replaced spark plug wires... and tah...dah.. my GS is now low idling(@ startup) in park. The needle is very close to 0 rpms but the car doesnt shut off... any ideas?? I didnt change the the dizzy cap or rotor could this be the possible culprit?

Last edited by Glock20C; 05-23-11 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Help!! Dying Of Smoke Inhalation