GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Need some serious help 😭

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 07:24 PM
Wyatt9219
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some serious help 😭

Recently bought a 1993 gs300, found out that the trans cooler lines were twisted and kinked resulting in premature failure of the trans. Replaced trans, tried my damnedest for 2 weeks trying to either find new cooler lines(which are discontinued and no aftermarket) or get my old ones fixed. Paid money to get a new fitting for the lines to go into the trans fittings but the hoses that were put on are to bulky and now the lines are unusable due to rubbing on components and they just seem off. I have NO luck on find replacements OR coming up with a solution to this issues. I need some ideas on what i can try and do, i am thinking about running metal braided lines but having to match up the fittings and everything is gonna be a challenge, is there ANYONE out there with a idea that i can try or possibly someone who has ran into a similar issue?
Old 09-24-21, 07:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

A shop that makes hydraulic fittings and lines may be able to help you but it sounds like you already tried that. Have you tried local salvage yards? That's your best bet.
Old 09-24-21, 10:21 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

I would go with custom lines to an aftermarket cooler at that point. Find an oil cooler and a hydraulic line shop should be able to make some lines to reach to your front bumper area.

Or find a junk yard with a 93-96 GS300 and take the OEM hard lines off.
Old 09-25-21, 05:17 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 749 Likes on 627 Posts

Hello,

Sounds interesting, gotta wonder if the lines off of next-gen GS would work out..

To my knowledge, there should be a regular flare fitting on the transmission side, which shouldn't be that difficult to fabricate at home, here you can find a tool and below is the video on the subject. I am pretty sure the thread used on the fitting is M16x1.5, here is a nut to go along with it. For the hose connection on the other side, you basically use the same tool, but this time create a bubble fitting, though you won't have that nice edge that stops the hose from going too far as on the OEM one. Bending the line into a desired shape shouldn't be that difficult either, especially considering that you have the old line and all the mounts on the engine for a reference, here is a tool that should work for it.

The only concern is to find a metric tubing to go along, which can get a bit tricky and quite pricey, I do mean PRICEY, cheapest I found locally is about $80 for 2 meters. With that, you should be fine using a 3/8 line as long as you are careful, it can be found at any hardware store for a pretty reasonable price, since it is primarily used in refrigeration and HVAC systems.

If I understand correctly, your old tubing is still largely intact - depending on the damage, the other solution would be to simply cut your old hose at the damage and splice a new section from the cut using methods mentioned above and a union nut; while not nearly as tidy, it can turn out to be a bit of an easier solution.

Hope this helps and best of luck!