GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Clear 1st Gen GS300 Headlight Lens

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 12:25 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGTS
we (i) spent a lot of time getting the shape right to CNC the acrylic lenses, then create some vacuum molds with seals, elongated my molding oven - and built several sets of clear lenses.

not the perfect solution, but a solution. Acrylic is very forgiving so with a bit of time edges can be rounded and polished etc.

I think the result looks pretty good on the ones we converted here because the plastic of the originals is so horribly cheap and now most are yellowed with age.

it is what it is, but not prepared at this time to make more of them. price wouldn't cover the shop time and getting the feedback we were getting - expectations are too high.

ohh and what would be sick is not the audi christmas lights but one (that's 1) LED (white or blue) only mounted bottom pointed up to give ambient light to the lense housing, and directed right on the polished alum bezels we had installed on the projector light.

That looks real good. If the price were under 200 a pair, I'll bet I can get you 10 people to buy it.
Old 12-25-09, 12:54 PM
GS300 I6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jmai22
That looks real good. If the price were under 200 a pair, I'll bet I can get you 10 people to buy it.
you got that right! i'll be one.
Old 12-28-09, 02:46 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is you really have to have ***** in order to do this mod. One flase move and you are 300 bux down the hole. I would defiently buy 2 freaking sets for 200 bux.
Old 01-03-10, 03:44 AM
Scotguy
Driver School Candidate

I think I can get these made in Thailand but there would be a minimum order. It would be a direct replacement lens. Need to bake your headlights an replace.
Only thing I'm not sure is if you remove the lens pattern will it still pass testing and not blind other drivers ?
Old 01-03-10, 03:57 PM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

im still waiting for this to be done and for sale
Old 01-03-10, 08:27 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

scotguy,

you would need to bake the lense to pull them apart in order to take the lined lense off and put on the delined one.

unless you buy them completely assembled already

and yes, it'll still pass inspection and it won't blind others, as that's what the projectors are for
Old 01-06-10, 08:39 PM
Losaun
Driver

I have a second set of headlights that I am willing to sacrifice if you guys would help in the process of finding a manufacture abroad or domestic to produce these. If someone can just point me in the right direction I will take it from there. I can justify all this work to this car only to have those shi#@ headlights on the car. Has anyone successfully sanded down the inside of the lenses?
Old 01-06-10, 10:17 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiiisupra
You can sand the inside of the lenses flat until the lines are gone then polish it clear again.
That's what i did
Old 01-06-10, 10:20 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SharkGTS
we (i) spent a lot of time getting the shape right to CNC the acrylic lenses, then create some vacuum molds with seals, elongated my molding oven - and built several sets of clear lenses.

not the perfect solution, but a solution. Acrylic is very forgiving so with a bit of time edges can be rounded and polished etc.

I think the result looks pretty good on the ones we converted here because the plastic of the originals is so horribly cheap and now most are yellowed with age.

it is what it is, but not prepared at this time to make more of them. price wouldn't cover the shop time and getting the feedback we were getting - expectations are too high.

ohh and what would be sick is not the audi christmas lights but one (that's 1) LED (white or blue) only mounted bottom pointed up to give ambient light to the lense housing, and directed right on the polished alum bezels we had installed on the projector light.

Not to be a **** or anything here Paul, but i was extremely disappointed in your lenses, hence why I haven't bought anything else from you. first off, the lenses were wavy..if you're paying as much as you charge i want them to be flat. Secondly, it's crappy material that pits extremely easy, the 2 of the 3 sets i bought from you ended up sitting in our parts room because i was so disappointed in them i couldn't bring myself to charging one of our customers for them.
Old 01-06-10, 11:34 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bippu147
That's what i did
can you PM me to discuss how you did that? as i have a second spare set i'll prolly be d oing something with LEDs in again and want to clear them.

can you outline the grits you went over it with, and process you took just to eliminate any wasted time i might encounter?
Old 01-07-10, 11:04 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

and to prove i'm not bsing about those jager lenses, here are some pictures.

Old 01-07-10, 11:04 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by deknick
can you PM me to discuss how you did that? as i have a second spare set i'll prolly be d oing something with LEDs in again and want to clear them.

can you outline the grits you went over it with, and process you took just to eliminate any wasted time i might encounter?
give me a call later, i'll give you some pointers
Old 01-07-10, 02:06 PM
Losaun
Driver

Originally Posted by Bippu147
give me a call later, i'll give you some pointers
Can you also provide me with steps as well please. I am really interested.

thanks
Old 01-07-10, 02:26 PM
Losaun
Driver

I have spoken with a company that can produce the lenses. There is some prototype cost. Bottom line after doing some homework it will cost us approx. $350.00 USD Per set.
Is there anyone interested in going in at that prototype level? I do not have that kind of money right now....
Old 01-07-10, 05:46 PM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

how bout we just get a step by step how too on De-lining our OEM lenses...

Quick Reply: Clear 1st Gen GS300 Headlight Lens