GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Supra Brakes...Finally

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 06:19 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra Brakes...Finally

Well I finally got around to getting everything I needed to get the front Supra brakes to work with my wheels! Rebuilt and powder coated silver to match the rears I had done awhile ago with all new Goodridge SS brake lines all around.

Check out that clearance!!

And a shot of the rear

After all that time, it was definitely worth it!

Last edited by PWidow; 07-14-09 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 07:17 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

HOLY CHRIST thats so close...

no rubbing at all? looks great!!! what are the sizes and offsets on your wheels?
Old 07-12-09, 07:55 PM
Duds
Pole Position

Looks good man, this is definitely on my list of things to do.
Old 07-12-09, 10:25 PM
tim8oland
Pole Position

I love it man!!! That looks so sweet!
Old 07-13-09, 09:09 AM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

wow that's close. but looks awesome. iam in the process of doing the same thing but ive been waiting 2 months for the left front caliper
Old 07-13-09, 09:13 AM
GS300 I6
Pole Position

where do you find these?
Old 07-13-09, 09:17 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Are you using supra rotors? they look a little small compared to mine. Maybe its the 20s?
Old 07-13-09, 11:15 AM
tim8oland
Pole Position

how much did the entire setup cost you?? can you break it down for me?? guesstimate?? thanks man.
Old 07-13-09, 11:28 AM
Xcaliber00
Driver

They look great! I'm liking the Lexus logos.
Old 07-13-09, 05:27 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
HOLY CHRIST thats so close...

no rubbing at all? looks great!!! what are the sizes and offsets on your wheels?
No rubbing between the caliper and the wheel, but I do rub with the wheel and the inner fender.

The wheels are 20x8.5" with 35 offset in the front and 20x10" with 35 offset in the rear.

Originally Posted by Duds
Looks good man, this is definitely on my list of things to do.
Thanks man! It is definitely a great upgrade, even if you go with LS400 brakes.

Originally Posted by vtec-this
wow that's close. but looks awesome. iam in the process of doing the same thing but ive been waiting 2 months for the left front caliper
Jeez, where did you get your caliper from?

Originally Posted by GS300 I6
where do you find these?
Where do you find what? The rotors are R1 concept and the calipers I got from a friend.

Originally Posted by Rob Daddy
Are you using supra rotors? they look a little small compared to mine. Maybe its the 20s?
Yeh they are Supra rotors. As soon as I put them on and let the car down I thought they looked small, but like you said it's probably the 20s. Most of the Supra's I've seen have 18s, maybe 19s, but I rarely see a Supra with 20s.

Originally Posted by tim8oland
how much did the entire setup cost you?? can you break it down for me?? guesstimate?? thanks man.
I got the calipers in bare form from a friend, so I'm not too sure what the going rate is for a full loaded set. I got a full rebuild kit and the missing parts from Toyota which will probably run you around $150+? Depending on if you know a powdercoater, it'll probably run you around $100 to coat both calipers (4 pieces if you take them apart). Rotors were about $140 shipped I believe. SS brake lines are around $100 or more depending on if you get the Goodrich or the Techno I've seen some people here use. So that's a rough guesstimate of around $490 without the calipers.

Originally Posted by Xcaliber00
They look great! I'm liking the Lexus logos.
Thanks man! Pays off to work at a shop where you can print your own logos
Old 07-13-09, 05:55 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn thats looks so tight, makes me really miss my GS
Old 07-13-09, 08:41 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PWidow

I got the calipers in bare form from a friend, so I'm not too sure what the going rate is for a full loaded set. I got a full rebuild kit and the missing parts from Toyota which will probably run you around $150+? Depending on if you know a powdercoater, it'll probably run you around $100 to coat both calipers (4 pieces if you take them apart). Rotors were about $140 shipped I believe. SS brake lines are around $100 or more depending on if you get the Goodrich or the Techno I've seen some people here use. So that's a rough guesstimate of around $490 without the calipers.
Just for reference, I bought refurbished calipers from Toyota of Kirkland (WA) for 300 ea. Then Stoptech rotors, OEM pads, installation kit (shims/spings/pins), and Techna Fit SS lines totaled 1100.

For any interested, I had heard a member on SupraForums.com mentioning Elmhurst Toyota (chicago) can get you an OEM set up (ss lines optional for more $) for all 4 corners for 1300. Not sure if it's a SF member discount or if that price is even still valid but it's worth checking out if you're interested in doing this upgrade
Old 07-13-09, 10:28 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice, very nice. I did mine while back and love it. I don't want to spoil but I got a hell of a deal on Supraforums. Mine was off a low miles 98 Supra Turbo with all calipers just powder coat it to silver like PWidow. With all front and rear calipers and rotors for $600 but end up paying $650 because he have to drive from Northern California to Southern California where we met so it's like shipping cost. I know this deal will never happen again because the minute he post on Supraforums, I agreed to buy it off him. Once he sold it to me, he realized that he had sold it way too low, but being a gentleman, he honored the price if the deal goes through. No way in the world I would back out from that deal. He was being cool by asking for $50 more from his original price of $600 because he have to bring it down to where I live.
Sadly but true, my 95 Lexus GS with Supra TT brakes look nicer and newer than my 93 Supra TT brakes. Not only that, my Lexus have SS brake lines where my Supra still have stock brake lines ( I have the Goodridge SS for my Supra but haven't have the time to put it on yet)
Old 07-13-09, 10:59 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by suprawhite
Sadly but true, my 95 Lexus GS with Supra TT brakes look nicer and newer than my 93 Supra TT brakes. Not only that, my Lexus have SS brake lines where my Supra still have stock brake lines ( I have the Goodridge SS for my Supra but haven't have the time to put it on yet)
boohoo your one awesome car looks better than your other awesome car because one has awesome powdercoated brakes and the other just has awesome brakes... hahaha j/k j/k , much love for the whips sir, just sad that deals like yours don't come around more often...

Pwidow, i'm not gonna lie, i've looked at these pictures about 10 times today and i take in a deep breath and pull my stomach in every time i see that clearance... jesus, its sooo close. Did you know it would be that close? and is the clearance that tiny on the rears as well? can't tell from the pics.

and lastly, if the offset were +38-+40 in the front, do you know if the brakes fit?
Old 07-14-09, 04:39 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexatlast

and lastly, if the offset were +38-+40 in the front, do you know if the brakes fit?
it should if they're 17+, but it really depends on the wheel size and whether its high/standard/low/super low disk as well. I have 19x8.5 +38 in the front and have tons of clearance. about 1 inch.From what I understand, you'll most likely need a high disk fitment in the front

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 07-17-09 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Supra Brakes...Finally