GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

auxiliary input on 93-97 oem Pioneer head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 12:24 PM
m1k3yg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auxiliary input on 93-97 oem Pioneer head unit

So I recently purchased my second 93 GS300, I didn't plan on replacing the stock head unit until I figured out that the cassette player was out of commission. I was going to install the same cheap double din I had in my previous GS300 and more recently in my 93 legacy just for the time being, to then remember that the factory amp has to be bypassed since the stock unit only sends a signal to the amp in the trunk. But also, the head unit has a strange current draw. I'm no stranger to DC circuits, however I didn't feel like hacking anything up just because I want to keep everything as OEM as possible this time around (mostly because I'm lazy).

I don't really care for CD's anymore, all I really need is the audio jack and I'll play music with my phone. So then I started brainstorming about alternatives to listen to my music instead of the radio (the radio stations suck real hard in my area). Last year I helped my friend remove the OEM radio from his Mazdaspeed6, so he could install this module to the back of his stock unit which makes it think it has the tape deck add-on, but in reality it has an audio jack with a preamp that let's you listen to your music through the stock system. If only things were that easy on my end..... Anyways, while keeping that idea in my head, I thought: Hey! My tape player doesn't work, so what if I could implement the same concept of the board with the preamp to my OEM radio? And then I started surfing instructables. Links:

http://m.instructables.com/id/Connect-an-MP3-player-to-a-tape-player/
And
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4988871-DIY-quot-JB-Mod-quot-Auxiliary-iPod-Input-to-OEM-Head-Unit-via-Tape-Deck-Hack

So far, all I've done is dismantle the head unit since work has been taking 90% of my time lately. But I plan on updating this soon, because I'm slowly losing my mind by driving with no music. If any of you are electronics savvy or really just an eager DIY'er then I encourage you to shine light to this thread.