GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Brake experts! Need replacement calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 11:06 AM
prvtjet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake experts! Need replacement calipers

I need to replace my stock calipers with a decent aftermarket caliper. I don't need Wilwood since I am not racing, but just something that will last longer than the Lexus OEM parts. They keep seizing. I have a 1994 GS 300. Any suggestions?.......Thanks!
Old 02-07-07, 02:10 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ls400's GX truck's., 4runners' calipers or supra tt's those will all bolt up

and there 4piston's
Old 02-07-07, 04:21 PM
nakedterro
Driver

I've not heard of people having problems with the standard brakes seizing - and given that they're the same brakes fitted to Soarers, early JZA80 TT and all NA Supra (JDM I mean), I dunno why you;d be having that problem - maybe you just need the calipers rebuilt? Will be a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing with 4 pots (which require you to change rotors and cut/remove your backing plates)

And THEN you need rims that will clear the larger brakes, which is a whole other headache in itself!
Old 02-07-07, 04:59 PM
DBaristo
Driver

Tell me more about the GX trucks and 4runners. I know the LS brakes need some modifying to fit and the US/UK spec supra TT brakes swap straight in didnt know about any other option though.

As far as older what I know as JDM supra brakes go I know they have a tendency to bind which I assume you mean the same as seizing. You can use refurbing seal and piston kits but AFAIK you have limited life on these parts as its the piston bore that wears not the piston. If your wheels will fit them under I'd buy new bigger 4 pots from toyota or have a look on supraforums for virtually free setups from guys swapping up for said same 4 pots. I have a set of JDM supra brakes in my garage in the UK for instance that I cannot give away here.
Old 02-07-07, 06:25 PM
nakedterro
Driver

Originally Posted by DBaristo
Tell me more about the GX trucks and 4runners. I know the LS brakes need some modifying to fit and the US/UK spec supra TT brakes swap straight in didnt know about any other option though.

As far as older what I know as JDM supra brakes go I know they have a tendency to bind which I assume you mean the same as seizing. You can use refurbing seal and piston kits but AFAIK you have limited life on these parts as its the piston bore that wears not the piston. If your wheels will fit them under I'd buy new bigger 4 pots from toyota or have a look on supraforums for virtually free setups from guys swapping up for said same 4 pots. I have a set of JDM supra brakes in my garage in the UK for instance that I cannot give away here.
sell them to a UZZ30/UZZ31 Soarer owner - they love the twin pot setup as they're FAR superior to the single piston fronts they get standard
Old 02-07-07, 07:49 PM
MIC123321
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought my front calipers at advance auto for 60 something dollars each with core fee, fairly cheap.
Old 02-07-07, 09:48 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

DO NOT GET CHEAP(est) CALIPERS!!!! I replaced all 4 of mine one year ago and they are giving me problems again Maybe my problem is occurring somewhere around the calipers.
Old 02-07-07, 10:12 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DBaristo

nope where did u hear this from ... all u do is push back the plate or cut them off , either way unless u get 5mm spacers or u have the rims to clear big brake kits anything with high disk (well 17's or better)

i had the Rodd millen's which is the TT's and now i have the LS400 which is alot lighter.

Bksc4 (frank) chime in and show them ur Ls calip.
Old 02-08-07, 09:14 AM
BKzSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
nope where did u hear this from ... all u do is push back the plate or cut them off , either way unless u get 5mm spacers or u have the rims to clear big brake kits anything with high disk (well 17's or better)

i had the Rodd millen's which is the TT's and now i have the LS400 which is alot lighter.

Bksc4 (frank) chime in and show them ur Ls calip.

yes sir!! LS400 Calipers! ARE they way to go!...Bolts right up!...
Attached Thumbnails Brake experts! Need replacement calipers-picture044medium-1.jpg  
Old 02-08-07, 05:09 PM
dbltakegs3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brakes

I also need new break calipers. Is everybody saying that ls400 would be a better choice over the supra brakes. What will be needed..just the ls400 calipers alone? or is there more u need to get to make it work.
Old 02-08-07, 10:35 PM
nakedterro
Driver

ls400 is a lighter caliper, as it's alloy - but takes a smaller rotor compared to the supra. I think 318mm vs 323mm. Not a huge difference really.
Old 02-09-07, 12:11 AM
MIC123321
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for the ls calipers, they fits the stock gs size rotors, just for the fronts, how about the rears?
Old 02-09-07, 12:54 AM
DBaristo
Driver

Do they have as much stopping power as the supra brakes? Smaller rotors would indicate not but there is more to braking than just big discs and how many pots they are. Ally calipers will polish up alot easier than steel ones as well
Old 02-09-07, 01:44 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I've been happy with my Rod Millen's.

Best bang for the buck and stops on a dime! Paint them gold and they are blinging. lol...

Old 02-09-07, 02:08 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexAristo
I've been happy with my Rod Millen's.

Best bang for the buck and stops on a dime! Paint them gold and they are blinging. lol...
Show-off!
Nah, haha, they look good. Wish I could afford me somethin like that right now.

Quick Reply: Brake experts! Need replacement calipers