GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

HOWTO: Remove headlights 93-97 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-05, 07:40 PM
bguild
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOWTO: Remove headlights 93-97 GS300

Parts of this were taking from a post dated 6-23-02 from user Jmai22.

Steps to remove headlights on a 93-97 GS300

#1 turn steering wheel all the way to the opposite side you are working on.

#2 Tire area. Remove the 2 small screws (phillip head) towards the front of the car holding the tire well trim in.. There are 4 screws but you only need to remove the 2 towards the front to access the engine bay from inside the tire well. After removing the two bottom screws, you have to pry the tire well plastic covering material around the small white screw bases. This can be done relatively easy using a flat blade screwdriver. Alternately, you can remove the white screw bases using a trim removal tool, but my experience in removing 12 year old plastic is that it usually breaks.

#3 after you remove those 2 screws just fold the plastic covering back and stick in a 10mm socket with extention and remove 2 more nuts that hold the headlight in place (can be found on the outer part of car when you look in from the opening you made from #2)

#4 prop up your hood. there are 2 screws that hold the headlight in on each side. they are both also 10mm. they are pretty obvious which ones that are holding the headlight in (one is on the edge of the headlight closest to the center grill, one is on top of the headlight)

#5 The headlight will be loose but still not removed. It's difficult to pull the headlight assembly out. A little tapping and shaking the entire assembly should free it up. Make sure to unplug the headlight connectors, else they will be stressed when pulling out the assembly. Further, without them disconnected, you can't remove the assembly (obvious).

Additional items:

If you prefer to clear your corners, follow the additional step below.

#6 after you have removed the headlight assembly from the car. Take a flat head screw driver and stab the orange piece. it should break in half. after that i took a pair of pliers and started to break them out small piece at a time.

Difficulty: Fairly easy except for removal of the 10mm bolts inside the wheel well.
Tools: Flat head screw driver, phillip head, 10mm with extension. and pliers (only for #6 above)
Time: 30 minutes each side

Note: I know this might sound obvious to most of you, but you do NOT have to remove headlight assemblies to change the bulbs. I originally thought differently - ha. Turns out one of my bulbs was just very much stuck in the stocket and would not turn clockwise. I only learned this after removing the entire headlight assembly to examine.

Hope this helps someone!

-Brian