Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Florida is300 swap guys/whoever else has some input

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 07:12 AM
jmf300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Florida is300 swap guys/whoever else has some input

So after seeing all these beautiful turbo monsters at the virginia key meet, I wanna change it up with my stock 1is. i want to see if anyone has specific recommendations on where in Florida I could purchase the motor(whoever has experience with a specific shop). I want to find a swap that will be relatively easy to do while keeping my auto transmission. I had done a good amount of searching and keep getting different answers to mounts, and wiring. Anyone with experience on the swaps can chime in I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to be able to get things going on the car soon. it would stay stock turbo or turbos depending on what is going to be the best recommendation.

Thanks again guys!
Old 11-15-11, 09:00 AM
Darkness01
Lead Lap

it all depends on your budget, but all road aim to 2jzgte .
if your looking for a shop, give Roger and John a call.
//LRD John
BLK&BLU*j Roger
Old 11-15-11, 09:05 AM
jmf300
Rookie

thanks for the advice. I will be seeing john sometime next week so i will bring it up to him.
Old 11-15-11, 10:28 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmf300
So after seeing all these beautiful turbo monsters at the virginia key meet, I wanna change it up with my stock 1is. i want to see if anyone has specific recommendations on where in Florida I could purchase the motor(whoever has experience with a specific shop). I want to find a swap that will be relatively easy to do while keeping my auto transmission. I had done a good amount of searching and keep getting different answers to mounts, and wiring. Anyone with experience on the swaps can chime in I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to be able to get things going on the car soon. it would stay stock turbo or turbos depending on what is going to be the best recommendation.

Thanks again guys!
the issues with the motor mounts is due to the different years/versions of 2JZGTE. the easier swap would be a 1998+ GTE motor with VVTI or an GTE VVTI Aristo motor

doing a swap is not easy or cheap. also remember the IS is not a Supra or a SC. getting the stock autro transmission to work will be difficult. also keep in mind used motors are used. and generally with unknown mileage. so you'll want to freshen it up before dropping it in

if you were in Orlando area i would suggest looking at motors from JDM Tech
Old 11-15-11, 10:40 AM
jmf300
Rookie

did you keep your auto tranny? I saw your car sunday, but didnt notice. what motor are you running?
thanks
Old 11-16-11, 07:26 AM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again guys!

There are plenty of ways you can go about doing the swap. You can go with a 2JZGTE VVTi, 1JZGTE VVTi or 2JZGTE non VVTi. they differ in price and the level of horsepower that you can achieve with basic upgrade are different as well.

The 2JZGTE non vvti doesn't fit properly in our car, it sit forward and you would have to make custom mounts to make it sit where the original motor sits. The twin turbos will hit against the fire wall so either you go single or grind the rear down. the motor requires the is300 ecu and the GTE ecu. Also your speed limit is set at 110-113mph.

The 1JZGTE fits in easier and wiring is a breeze compared to the rest but you will have to run both IS300 ecu and GTE ecu. The only downfall is that parts are extremely hard to find and making horsepower is a little more difficult.

The 2JZGTE VVTi in my opinion is the best It fits like OEM. I am only running the 2JZGTE VVTi ECU with no is300 ecu I have Cruise control stock traction control even E-shift but with a 4 speed. This swap will set you back $8,000 easily.

The 2JZGTE VVTi Hybrid or frankenswap whatever you wanna call it. it requires only the GTE motor, no tranny, no ecu, no wiring harness, nothing else. Just use your old tranny, wiring harness, ecu, and remount your power steering. also it a most go standalone
Old 11-16-11, 10:04 AM
jmf300
Rookie

Wow you have really helped me understand everything! thanks for the help! i will pm you shortly if thats cool
Old 11-16-11, 12:18 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Bro go NA-T!!!you will do it faster,and custom to your liking from the start.because if you invest in a swap.then you still gonna want to make horsepower and go single turbo.
Old 11-16-11, 01:03 PM
jmf300
Rookie

thanks for the advice richard
yeah man I have Ed helping me out with this, hopefully. its just hard because there isnt one route, you can do so much with our cars!! urgghhhh hopefully i can decide soon.
Old 11-16-11, 02:02 PM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

On the IS300 NA-T is a headache the stock computer won't let you run a piggyback and the only way to do so is standalone and you do that you lose traction control and cruise control. The NA transmission will hold 300WHP with no shift kit or valve body and if you do the upgrade it will hold 400WHP and no more, The NA motor can only run up to 9PSI of boost and up to 18with a headgasket anything after that you will need GTE internals to make more power.

If you ask me the NA motor won't benefit you in the long run. Go with a swap the motors are hard to find in pristine condition but once you do, stronger piston and rods transmission that can handle 500RWHP and still keep your e-shift.

Here is my opinion on the best swap. Find a VVT-i GTE bottom (little difficult) Find a Regular GTE head, tranny, wiring harness, and ECU. sell the stock twins buy a ebay manifold and get a masterpower turbo those last forever and make ok power.
Old 11-17-11, 07:09 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DINH300
On the IS300 NA-T is a headache the stock computer won't let you run a piggyback and the only way to do so is standalone and you do that you lose traction control and cruise control. The NA transmission will hold 300WHP with no shift kit or valve body and if you do the upgrade it will hold 400WHP and no more, The NA motor can only run up to 9PSI of boost and up to 18with a headgasket anything after that you will need GTE internals to make more power.

If you ask me the NA motor won't benefit you in the long run. Go with a swap the motors are hard to find in pristine condition but once you do, stronger piston and rods transmission that can handle 500RWHP and still keep your e-shift.

Here is my opinion on the best swap. Find a VVT-i GTE bottom (little difficult) Find a Regular GTE head, tranny, wiring harness, and ECU. sell the stock twins buy a ebay manifold and get a masterpower turbo those last forever and make ok power.
whats a VVTI GTE bottom end? VVTI refers to the head. GTE bottom ends are all the same. except for motor mount location.

what youre suggesting is building a motor from pieces. why not just cut to the chase and buy a VVTI long block. you can still make good power on stock twins and VVTI head.
Old 11-17-11, 07:14 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DINH300
There are plenty of ways you can go about doing the swap. You can go with a 2JZGTE VVTi, 1JZGTE VVTi or 2JZGTE non VVTi. they differ in price and the level of horsepower that you can achieve with basic upgrade are different as well.

The 2JZGTE non vvti doesn't fit properly in our car, it sit forward and you would have to make custom mounts to make it sit where the original motor sits. The twin turbos will hit against the fire wall so either you go single or grind the rear down. the motor requires the is300 ecu and the GTE ecu. Also your speed limit is set at 110-113mph.

The 1JZGTE fits in easier and wiring is a breeze compared to the rest but you will have to run both IS300 ecu and GTE ecu. The only downfall is that parts are extremely hard to find and making horsepower is a little more difficult.

The 2JZGTE VVTi in my opinion is the best It fits like OEM. I am only running the 2JZGTE VVTi ECU with no is300 ecu I have Cruise control stock traction control even E-shift but with a 4 speed. This swap will set you back $8,000 easily.

The 2JZGTE VVTi Hybrid or frankenswap whatever you wanna call it. it requires only the GTE motor, no tranny, no ecu, no wiring harness, nothing else. Just use your old tranny, wiring harness, ecu, and remount your power steering. also it a most go standalone
i dont entirely agree with the section i bolded. what you posted is half true.
Old 11-17-11, 07:16 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

did you keep your auto tranny? I saw your car sunday, but didnt notice. what motor are you running?
thanks
yeah i kept my OEM auto which is built to hold the power. my motor is JDM non VVTI 2JZ GTE. i was originally NAT and decided to step it up to a full GTE. so i was able to transfer my turbo and much of my other parts.
Old 11-17-11, 12:37 PM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by baadhabit
i dont entirely agree with the section i bolded. what you posted is half true.
what don't you agree with the 110-113mph speed cut or the fact that the GTE none VVT-i has only 2 mounting position and will sit closer to the radiator. The VVT-i has a 3rd mount and sits like OEM but the only down fall is the rear twin touches or the GTE non VVT-i swap requires the IS300 ECU and GTE ECU
Old 11-17-11, 12:43 PM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Q
whats a VVTI GTE bottom end? VVTI refers to the head. GTE bottom ends are all the same. except for motor mount location.

A
except for motor mount location.
Q
what youre suggesting is building a motor from pieces. why not just cut to the chase and buy a VVTI long block. you can still make good power on stock twins and VVTI head.
A Its just a suggestion

Quick Reply: Florida is300 swap guys/whoever else has some input