Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Any shop that can corner balance coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 10:55 AM
LexF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any shop that can corner balance coilovers?

I'd drive as far north as Palm Beach. As far south as the keys.
Looking to get my BCR's corner balanced on my IS-F. Thanks in advance.

Below is a example

Originally Posted by caymandive
I installed my BC coilovers last weekend myself. Having little to no background on how suspensions work I thought it was a matter of install/set preferred ride height/alignment/done. I got the ride height close to what I wanted, but out of frustration I decided to take it to FunKtion Auto so they could dial it in and do an alignment. I have never been there before, but they are close by and have a very good reputation (though pricey). They asked me if I ever race the car and I replied that I do plan on taking it to a track one of these days. What that told them was I needed this car corner balanced and not just setup aesthetically with ride height. (hence my numbers below)

When I brought the car to the shop and they got it up on scales, wow it was way off! 37% balanced! Having driven the car about 10 miles with the coilovers I knew it was way off and that % certainly verified things.

After roughly 6 hours of adjustments the car was nearly perfect with cross weight percentages of:
-50.8% front left to rear right.
-49.2% front right to rear left.

Does the car now sit like a show car? Not at all, but it is slightly lower than stock especially the front and it drives incredibly! I can't tell you how pleased I am now with driving this car. The car inspires more confidence in long sweepers (off-ramps), drives straight and the jittery stock feel is gone. The uneven wheel gap does bother me some, but it's not something easily noticed and the sheer joy of how the car feels now more than makes up for it.

Details
Ride height is what I was measuring being the distance from the ground up through the center of the wheel to the fender. <<This aesthetic measure is not encouraged!
Coil pre-load is the distance I measured from the top coilover thread to the black plastic piece holding the bottom of the spring.
Coil perch distance is the distance between the 2nd from top perch to the lower perch. There are 3 perches on each coilover.

Old 11-03-12, 12:32 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Theres a shop in west palm that does it, has been forever since i talked to them though. The guy specializes in porsche and mostly deals with those. I cant recall the name of the shop but its in wpb... somewhere off australian avenue. You might be able to look around on google maps for automotive shops in that area. GL.
Old 11-03-12, 04:52 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oztiks
Theres a shop in west palm that does it, has been forever since i talked to them though. The guy specializes in porsche and mostly deals with those. I cant recall the name of the shop but its in wpb... somewhere off australian avenue. You might be able to look around on google maps for automotive shops in that area. GL.
Ernie Bello's - I believe that is the shop you're thinking of Seth.
Old 11-03-12, 06:48 AM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

I need to do this to my BC's as well. Good to know we have someone close to me.
Old 11-03-12, 09:33 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much would something like this cost?
Old 11-05-12, 12:09 AM
LexF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
how much would something like this cost?
I'd imagine over $200.
There is apparently alot of hours to get perfect 50/50 distro of the coils.