Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

MK3 Supra / 1uzfe / Single Turbo Build Thread

Old 02-12-12, 02:32 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot about CL.... Sorry, here are some pics.

Its been awhile - Super busy... but stuff it starting to come together.

I got my -12an fitting welded to my oil pan, resealed that. A new-to-me 89+ subframe + poly mounts was installed. Feramic 6 puck solid disk + 2100lbs pressure plate on a steel flywheel was put on. I heat wrapped the manifolds (this sucks since it never wants to lay flat on a non flat surface) but I did my best. Still need to get SS ties for the driver side. Buttoned the W58 up (for the time being while my R154 gets built). Welded a 3.5" (from 4") vband onto the turbo and chamfered the leading edge to the flange. This gives me more room to work with. Using 94-95 Camry COPs with Bosch 211 controllers for the MS3x... Just awaiting some exhaust nuts and I can test fit the real engine in... should be no issue (except maybe the steering linkage... but we shall see).

Enjoy the slew of pictures... no particular order...

-----------------

Almost no effort to put the engine in... that was a great feeling!

I wanted to test fit and get everything good in the car before I paint the engine bay. Last thing I want to do is weld all holes shut and need to drill new ones.. or have to hammer the firewall or something... Enjoy for now... more to come

--------------
Old 02-12-12, 02:35 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Started to build my downpipe. I am really proud of how this is looking. Its all SS304 3.5" tubing, pie cut bends. This will eventually be heading towards the bumper.... but enjoy for now

------------------

Alex?? ^_-

Alright here we go. Ordered 325ft of wire to start on the engine harness...

And I also got a crazy bulk deal on 12an and 10an fittings.... So I started to lay those out...

I ordered connectors for my RX7 injectors... going to buy some rebuild kits and do the rebuild and cleaning on my own... cause thats how I effin role.

Enj0i.

---------------------

Okay well here is another update. Not too much went on... Learned some stuff.

I rebuilt my injectors (well I still need 2 more to buy) with Mr. Injector parts. I cleaned them out, back flushed it etc... cost me $50 instead of $160. Good alternative IMO.

I bought new injector connectors and coil connectors. (nothing worse than broke *** connectors)

Found that Garret parts bolt on to the HX52. Also I found an "elongated hole" T4 gasket that fits my T4i bolt pattern. Super lucky since I cannot find the gasket for this turbo.

The rest or misc photos of the wiring.

Old 02-12-12, 02:51 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bro you forgot the real ****...
Old 02-12-12, 03:03 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

gl on the remainder of plumbing and wiring.. it's coming together nicely.
Old 02-22-12, 06:26 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Small little update. I got some 10an nylon hose for my oil stuff. I chose this because its a lot more flexible, easier to put together, and wont destroy my hands with frayed ends. Plus it was on sale

Also in other news, I have a new rack coming my way and some Brembo rear brakes
Old 05-20-12, 07:10 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Alright well sorry for the long pause between updates. The last month or two of school has gotten really busy and I kept changing my mind with stuff on the Supra... but for now this is what is happening.

Brembo 2 pots for the rears

Wilwood 4 pots for the front ( I am in the middle of making a hybrid of all the kits out there and using Cobra 13" rotors instead of modified C4 Vette rotor like one of the kits do)

Modified the cross beam to allow the radiator to lean forward. I needed extra clearance on for the turbo stuff and I figure if I modify the hood right, it will promote better cooling.

Lots of wiring has been happening. I loomed most of it, but I forsee stuff changing eventually.

MS3X is done, firmware flashed, and reads from the laptop.

Made a mounting surface from 6061 to hold injector 50w resistors and ignition modules (for 2 wire COP).

Made one for the MS3x and PLX Wideband

PLX Gauge mounted in the cig lighter hole

Will be adjusting my alternator for tension with this setup.

Got a free 89+ bumper and nose piece.

Stayed Tuned!
Old 05-20-12, 08:08 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The supra is coming along very nicely. Keep up the great work. You definitely have some skills with all the custom work.
Old 05-20-12, 09:22 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is when this thing is finally done we are throwing a huge party Matt. I'm dead serious. The work you have put into this thing is incredible. Can't wait to see it on the road someday.
Old 05-21-12, 11:24 AM
EDTUN3R
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow This Looks Great
Old 05-21-12, 04:51 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
All I know is when this thing is finally done we are throwing a huge party Matt. I'm dead serious. The work you have put into this thing is incredible. Can't wait to see it on the road someday.
Im down, lets do it!

Here is another one I missed... Zipties for mock up only.. lol

Old 07-24-12, 08:17 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Its sad to look at the dates when I last posted. As always we all get busy and that is the story here. Been working on the wiring and I keep getting discouraged because I was not satisfied with all the stock junk laying around. So I ordered a whole body rewire kit (common for hot rods) and I gutted all the wiring out of the Supra.

For the engine

Whole lot of WTF!

Interior dash wiring. I left the wires that travel to the rear of the car for now... oh and the door wiring. The rest of the wires on the driver seat are for headlight retractors, power mirrors, wipers, etc... all the needed stuff.

Enjoy! I promise I am back in action to work on this thing.
Old 08-27-12, 03:56 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever happened to this bad *** build?
Old 10-03-12, 08:07 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Quick update before work. I know I have updated in months.. Sorry

Gas Tank Removed...

Sump - SS 304 - Why? cause E85. Two 1/2 NPT Bungs and I relined it with POR15

Cam Sensor Housing machined for a clean look...

Wiring and more wiring. I removed ALL stock wiring. I kept only the stock switches and functions and everything works so far.. Windows, retraction for headlights, etc... Obviously this needs to be finished... but I didnt want to clean it up with everything not working yet.

MS3x functions

A very pathetic pop and burble on starter fluid to see if the ignition works...

Candid shot a friend took...

and for when I get my wheels mounted.. 285F 295 R
Old 10-03-12, 08:27 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Another long update with minimal amount of work... I am on my last semester of college, mechanical engineer, and been studying a lot for my FE exam and full time engineering position... time consuming life... sigh.

Anyways... updates...

So my long awaited (3 weeks from Australia) -8an/m12x1.25 fittings have arrived for my fuel rails...

Aeroquip AQP Hose - this stuff is rediculously awesome. Its thick, bendable, has a unique outer wrapping unlike junk fuel like from the auto store. And its E85 (and like 99% other chemical) safe. This is a small piece of -10 for my sump to pump... if anyone has a $20 off $100 coupon from summit that will go to waste, hit me up so I can get the -8 stuff still

More stuff from Summit... Aeroquip socketless hose ends, Fragola ORB fittings for my regulator, misc Earls stuff, (not shown are Mr. Gasket Shadow series fittings), and a 100psi gauge for my regulator.

Picked up a used HAHN intercooler with same side entry/exit. Will be a little creative getting it to work, but its a 3.5 core, bar plate... and fits nice. I want to get the S2 Airguide for this still.

Just a random shot - you can see my Brembo Sti/EVO hybrids rear brakes and my Wilwood/Mustang rotor (yep not the vette rotor) hybrid setup... this isnt finished, but everything lines up. Needs rings for the rotor and misc hardware still.

And that isnt rust on that lower front side skirt piece. One of the previous owners siliconed the **** out of it and the old piece that went there (which WAS rusting).... I just need a creative way to remove all of that ****.
Old 10-04-12, 08:33 AM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Holly chit Matman , that is one ridiculous build . . Glad to see you posting updates . I thought you had fell off the map.

I have a great suggestion for you. On Dec 2 we are having a meet in Miami, what a great opportunity to break in that motor .

Nice pics man. I look forward to hopefully getting a ride in the V8 turbo MK3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MK3 Supra / 1uzfe / Single Turbo Build Thread