ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   EV Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ev-chat-324/)
-   -   Toyota’s plug-in hybrids emit four times more CO2 than company claims (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ev-chat/1021673-toyotais-plug-in-hybrids-emit-four-times-more-co2-than-company-claims.html)

AMIRZA786 04-19-24 02:00 PM

Toyota’s plug-in hybrids emit four times more CO2 than company claims

Hmmm :uh:

Toyota’s plug-in hybrids emit four times more CO2 than company claims

Millions of well-meaning Toyota plug-in hybrid owners will be outraged to learn they’ve been burning through four times more petrol and producing four times more emissions than they were led to believe by the world’s largest automaker.

New data released by the European Union Environment Agency shows car makers are substantially overestimating the efficiency of their vehicles for petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid models.

The study, which uses real-world data on over half-a-million vehicles, found that car companies are underestimating CO2 emissions per kilometre driven by 19% for petrol vehicles and 15% for diesel cars.

However, it is hybrids where the WLTP (World Harmonised Light vehicle Test Procedure) figures, which are used by car companies for official specifications, are staggeringly out of sync with the actual real-world data collected by the European Union.

While the average WLTP CO2 emissions figure across 123,740 hybrids sold in the EU was just 39.59 g/km of CO2, the actual real-world average for those vehicles was 139.39 g/km. An enormous gap of around 100g/km with the real-world figure 3.5 times higher than the WLTP figure.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...92ec724945.png

EU mandatory real-world vehicle emission data reporting shines light on false claims

Many may be surprised to learn that despite enormous amounts of real-world data collected by vehicle makers on fuel efficiency, it only became mandatory for carmakers to report real-world data in the European Union in 2021.

In most other countries around the world, including Australia, it’s still not mandatory at all.

“Pursuant to Article 12 of Regulation (EU) 2019/631, the Commission is required to collect, from 2021, data on the real-world fuel or energy consumption of passenger cars and light commercial vehicles that are recorded by on-board fuel and/or energy consumption monitoring devices as provided for in Article 4a of Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1151,” states the EU regulation.

This is the first time the EU has released the data since it began mandatory collection from car makers in 2021, finally shining a light on the enormous discrepancies in efficiency and emissions intensity of virtually all vehicles.

“The following tables and graphs summarise and illustrate the first results of this monitoring exercise, based on an analysis of the data reported by vehicle manufacturers in 2022 as read-out from new vehicles first registered in 2021,” it says.

“They show average laboratory and real-world CO2 emissions and fuel consumption of those vehicles, along with the calculated gap between the average laboratory [WLTP] and real-world values.”

The agency has displayed the data per manufacturer, fuel type and for petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid vehicles separately.

Toyota’s plug-in hybrids produce four times the claimed emissions

While the average plug-in hybrid emits 3.5 times more than WLTP figures suggest, Toyota’s flagship “green” plug-in hybrids are even worse emitting over four times more CO2 than the company’s official figures claim.

The average WLTP figures on Toyota’s plug-in vehicles is just 22 g/km however the EU’s real-world data shows that the true figure is much closer to 93 g/km. This essentially means that Toyota’s true plug-in hybrid emissions are actually much closer to its average petrol car (127.5 g/km) than the company’s official plug-in hybrid figures.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...bcff80c9f4.png

Hybrid owners paying much more than they bargained for

Emissions aside, many plug-in hybrid owners are also paying much more to drive their vehicles than they are being led to believe by car makers.

Looking at the fuel consumption gap between the EU’s real-world data and carmakers WLTP claimed efficiency, plug-in hybrids are on average using an additional 4.24 litres of petrol per 100km.

Based the current petrol price in Australia of $2.23, that’s an extra $9.46 per 100 km that plug-in hybrid owners are paying in fuel costs than carmakers WLTP figures suggest.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics says passenger vehicles in Australia drive around 11,100 km per year. Based on the additional $9.46 per 100 km, that’s an extra $1050 per year that plug-in hybrid owners in Australia are paying each year, than they would be expecting based on carmakers WLTP figures.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...f63f094e1e.png

There are hundreds-of-thousands of plug-in hybrids on Australia’s roads, many of which are doing high milage as ride-share vehicles, however the EU real-world data shows that these vehicles aren’t really much different to regular petrol cars when it comes to fuel efficiency and vehicle emissions.

Fossil car companies like Toyota use terms like “electrified” to market their plug-in hybrid vehicles, effectively manipulating and confusing consumers by associating petrol burning plug-in hybrids with real electric vehicles.

Well-meaning consumers are being mislead by these claims and many governments even include plug-in hybrids in electric vehicle policies based on the misleading WLTP figures.

The new real-world data from the EU Environment Agency should be a wakeup call to governments to remove all incentives for plug-in hybrids and should be a trigger for plug-in hybrid owners around the world to launch class action cases against companies who’ve engaged in misleading consumers.

https://thedriven.io/2024/04/18/toyo...ompany-claims/

AMIRZA786 04-19-24 02:19 PM

BTW, I can care less about the above revelations. I personally don't care how green (or not green) a car is, I buy my vehicles more based on performance than most other factors. But if you are one of those that buy vehicles to save the world, than maybe Toyota isn't the right brand? :)

LeX2K 04-19-24 02:19 PM

The average WLTP figures on Toyota’s plug-in vehicles is just 22 g/km however the EU’s real-world data shows that the true figure is much closer to 93 g/km. This essentially means that Toyota’s true plug-in hybrid emissions are actually much closer to its average petrol car (127.5 g/km) than the company’s official plug-in hybrid figures.
Given the extra resources needed to produce a plug-in hybrid this probably makes it worse than a straight up gas car.

I disagree with you I care about finite resource consumption and especially pollution.

AMIRZA786 04-19-24 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by LeX2K (Post 11709642)
Given the extra resources needed to produce a plug-in hybrid this probably makes it worse than a straight up gas car.

There are going to be a lot of people hating on the EU for busting the "green" bubble....

AMIRZA786 04-19-24 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by LeX2K (Post 11709642)
I disagree with you I care about finite resource consumption and especially pollution.

Tree hugger :D

BayeauxLex 04-19-24 02:34 PM

I can only speak for myself, I got my Toyota PHEV because of its 302hp and then the ability to run on EV. Btw, I did close to 60 miles of EV today (it’s rated for 42) had 4 miles left. Initially I was looking for a 3rd gen V6 4WD Rav but it was hard to find one in decent condition. Once I saw I could pretty much commute daily on EV only, I rarely experience the 302hp. I run in EV mode so much, my daughter thinks we have an EV.:dunno: In 19k miles she’s seen me pump gas in it 2x and both were on road trips.

All these other studies over my pay grade.

LeX2K 04-19-24 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786 (Post 11709650)
Tree hugger :D

Correct.

Does that mean I will give up my standard of living? Nope and neither will anyone else. Here's a secret hardly anyone knows, people give to charity for themselves not to help anyone. They do it to feel good it's all for selfish reasons. This is the same reason many people will buy a hybrid or EV. What they won't do is give up a certain standard of styling, performance etc. to "save the planet" because people don't actually care. They care about feeling like they care.

That's why EVs are going to win, they are vastly cleaner and better cars. If they were much cleaner but way worse then the EV industry would die a quick death. On Toyota specifically they don't give a single toss about being environmentally friendly if they did then Toyota would not have cheated on diesel emissions for decades.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex (Post 11709653)
In 19k miles she’s seen me pump gas in it 2x and both were on road trips.

To be blunt a pure EV would be a better fit for you overall.

AMIRZA786 04-19-24 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex (Post 11709653)
I can only speak for myself, I got my Toyota PHEV because of its 302hp and then the ability to run on EV. Btw, I did close to 60 miles of EV today (it’s rated for 42) had 4 miles left. Initially I was looking for a 3rd gen 4WD Rav but it was hard to find one in decent condition. Once I saw I could pretty much commute daily on EV only, I rarely experience the 302hp. I run in EV mode so much, my daughter thinks we have an EV.:dunno: In 19k miles she’s seen me pump gas in it 2x and both were on road trips.

All these other studies over my pay grade.

As long as you're not a tree hugger, you're fine 🤣

LeX2K 04-19-24 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786 (Post 11709655)
As long as you're not a tree hugger, you're fine 🤣

Says the person only breathing oxygen because trees exist.

AMIRZA786 04-19-24 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by LeX2K (Post 11709654)
Correct.

Does that mean I will give up my standard of living? Nope and neither will anyone else. Here's a secret hardly anyone knows, people give to charity for themselves not to help anyone. They do it to feel good it's all for selfish reasons. This is the same reason many people will buy a hybrid or EV. What they won't do is give up a certain standard of styling, performance etc. to "save the planet" because people don't actually care. They care about feeling like they care.

That's why EVs are going to win, they are vastly cleaner and better cars. If they were much cleaner but way worse then the EV industry would die a quick death. On Toyota specifically they don't give a single toss about being environmentally friendly if they did then Toyota would not have cheated on diesel emissions for decades.

To be blunt a pure EV would be a better fit for you overall.

Toyota or VW? I think you may be mixing up automakers. Toyota doesn't sell diesel in the US

LeX2K 04-19-24 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786 (Post 11709659)
Toyota or VW? I think you're mixing up the two. Toyota doesn't sell diesel in the US

I'm not mixing up anything. There is a world outside the U.S. :nono:
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...ting-admission

Last month, Toyota’s small-car subsidiary Daihatsu suspended manufacturing in Japan following the discovery that it falsified safety data and unauthorised safety testing procedures, dating back to 1989

In July 2022, the company’s truck division, Hino, admitted to have falsified emissions data for 860,000 commercial vehicles globally since 2003.

AMIRZA786 04-19-24 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by LeX2K (Post 11709658)
Says the person only breathing oxygen because trees exist.

Trees are for building houses and occasionally using in my fireplace 😂

LeX2K 04-19-24 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786 (Post 11709661)
Trees are for building houses and occasionally using in my fireplace 😂

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...2bb45f1712.gif

AMIRZA786 04-19-24 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by LeX2K (Post 11709662)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...2b82685f68.gif

asj2024 04-19-24 03:05 PM

It's an article from a biased BEV site.

The real reason is not the plugin cars themselves, but driver behavior.

Many people don't or can't take advantage of the EV capabilities of the plug ins and just use HV mode, which obviously means more ICE usage.

So if you plugin the car more, you pollute less. Simple. I use EV all the time for short distance travel, and only switch to HV when I go long distance, which is how it should be used to maximum effect. No range anxiety or stupid planning of routes, but much much less pollution than pure ICE since I drive less than 5 miles usually on average a day so 95% or more of the time I'm on EV mode (range of RX450h+ for me is around 40 miles on EV).

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...their-drivers/