ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 ES Pairing Samsung Galaxy S3 - Some Contacts Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 12:10 PM
ChipC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 ES Pairing Samsung Galaxy S3 - Some Contacts Missing?

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with Contacts transfer between the Galaxy S3 and ES with Navigation? I get 56 out of 120 and told transfer completed successfully? Galaxy S3 is on Sprint service with Jelly Bean OS.
Old 12-05-12, 06:00 AM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by ChipC
Is anyone else experiencing a problem with Contacts transfer between the Galaxy S3 and ES with Navigation? I get 56 out of 120 and told transfer completed successfully? Galaxy S3 is on Sprint service with Jelly Bean OS.
Just a suggestion: You might want to check the last record downloaded and look at the next in sequence. It could be that either entry is suspect - try editing both on your cell phone, or perhaps experimenting with deleting each, because it is possible one of those records has an end-of-file marker, ergo, the download stops there without including the remainder.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-12, 07:55 PM
bhammer
Driver School Candidate

Funny, all my issues seemed to go away when I upgraded to 4.1. SMS and more of the media functions now work.

When I first set up the phone on the car, I had one contact that had a "funny" character in the name that was causing the transfer to fail.
Old 12-13-12, 05:29 AM
ChipC
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the suggestion. Still no luck.
The contacts are coming from an Exchange 2010 server using ActivSync with Outlook 2010 client to the phone.
I have cleared the contacts from the car multiple times.
I have cleared the contacts from the phone and resynced them from Outlook.
I have removed and readded the phone Bluetooth connection.
I have tried uploading a small batch (14 then 2) of contacts with the same issue. It keeps saying Transfer complete. I have about 130 contacts.
When I try to load all contacts I get 29 to transfer before receiving the transfer complete message.
When I try to load a small subset of contacts, I get very few to transfer. It is difficult to track since contacts only display by first name in the car.
I have stripped the contacts down to just name and phone numbers, no extensions. I am not seeing any special characters in either field.
I'm not sure wher to look next, Outlook, the phone, Bluetooth or the car/phone interface
I believe the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expcting a different result.
Old 12-18-12, 06:17 AM
sigmoid
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a parsing issue - any names with spaces in the last names or name suffixes such as "Jr." ?
I'm getting an s3 for Xmas however I sync with Google - and an Exchange account - so I might not know until next week if mine works. Probably more of a pain to you - but maybe export your contact list and import to Google - then sync with Google .. Just a thought
Old 12-20-12, 01:21 PM
GordonA
Driver School Candidate

ES350 2013 and Galaxy S3

Pairing works to the extent that I can make and receive phone calls. But no contacts transfer. Any suggestions, please?
Old 12-21-12, 11:59 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by bhammer
Funny, all my issues seemed to go away when I upgraded to 4.1. SMS and more of the media functions now work.

When I first set up the phone on the car, I had one contact that had a "funny" character in the name that was causing the transfer to fail.
4.1 is Jelly Bean, 4.0 is ICS (ice cream sandwich) Sounds like yours works on JB too.

I've synced w/Google perfectly many times. I think it might be a Microsoft Exchange issue?
Old 12-22-12, 07:23 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a new CT200h and was having the exact same problem with the same phone. I am also using Outlook as well. I too tried everything you mentioned above. After messing around with this issue for a while I found that this was indeed a parsing issue.

If you have any illegal characters (this includes URLs it seems) in your notes area, the contact will not import. I was missing a lot of contacts, then I noticed most, if not all, had something in the note area. At first I deleted all of the notes instead of editing them to correct illegal characters. How I did this was by simply highlighting all the text and hitting delete. This still left an illegal character on some contacts that I initially missed. But it can be seen within Outlook. You can see this by selecting your contact tab and then selecting the field chooser to add "Notes" as a field. I was able to actually see a pipe within each note that had to be removed. If you do not know how, simply select all and paste and letter you know has no formatting and then delete the letter.

Afterwards everything imported except a couple of contacts. I noticed these two contacts that had an extended address somehow. This was blocking them from copying properly. I corrected these two and they started to import as well. This was strange. Both addresses were appended with "United States of America" in some views. I simple deleted the address and re-entered it by hand. This corrected the issue.

It is conceivable that any field with an illegal character will cause a failed import for that contact and perhaps others following that one.

if you have hundreds of contacts and this seems daunting you can probably simply export your contacts out into Excel and run a script to remove illegal characters. I only have a little less than 200 and just eyeballed everything since I was in problem solving mode.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-12, 07:34 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Also, if all else fails, pick the first contact in your list that you know is not copying. Start looking at that contact more closely. This one will be the key to start identifying the problem(s) within your data. If you do not immediately see something that jumps out at you, start editing that contact one a field at a time until you find the issue.

This should help you troubleshoot your contact list. Once you start finding issues you will most likely see a trend in the data within your other contacts. As you find an issue there is a good chance it is most likely present other contacts as well.
Old 12-23-12, 09:31 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Today I noticed that other contacts were missing from my list in the car. It seems that any contact with an address will not transfer into the car, even though the address is formatted properly within Outlook. I also noticed that the address was transferring into the phone from Outlook with a format like this:

1234 Street Name
City
State
Zip

I used Keis to open a contact and edit the address into a proper format and saved it to the phone, hoping that was the issue. This corrected the address so that it looked proper within the phone interface. However, when I tried a transfer to the car again the contact still did not make it into the system. I finally just deleted the address and then the contact successfully imported into the system on the car. I also tried adding an address in using the phone interface. This would not import either.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm this same issue? Is anyone successfully transferring contacts that have addresses in the address field? I guess I could dust off my iPhone and test with that as well.

Just to reiterate, these tests were completed with a Samsung Galaxy S3 running the latest build.
Old 01-01-13, 04:18 PM
ChipC
Driver School Candidate

What a great way to start 2013. Thanks to all for the advice. Ogrechan is a genius. Your suggestions worked best. I don't understand how the addresses and notes fields impact the name and phone number import fields, but after many hours of scrubbing the data, all contacts uploaded. In Outlook 2010 I used the address checker on each contact, parsed the street address to one line and then confirmed the address. The import seems to have a problem with a 2 line street address. I also cleared the notes field. I used the check phone number on each number. Again, thanks to all for the suggestions. Wouldn't it be great if Lexus found a way to sort the contacts by last name.
Old 01-09-13, 04:35 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Glad it helped, Chip. You took it a step further with placing the entire address on one line - thanks. I find it surprising that the carriage return was not accounted for in the import code.
Old 08-29-13, 12:11 PM
AnnHazard
Driver School Candidate

I do not use Outlook, so these solutions mean zip to me. I am merely trying to get my phone contact list onto the Bluetooth. The Samsung Galaxy S3 phone is paired and it works, but the contacts will not transfer. I too have tried many times and repaired the phone, etc. This is the third "brain" I've had on this phone and the first that did not transfer my contacts. Don't even ask. LOL. Phone issues galore this summer....
Old 08-30-13, 06:56 AM
Frank1934
Driver School Candidate

Default phone contacts

Yes I had that problem. Turned out the contacts in my phone were stored in two different placers on the phone. My local AT&T phone store just combined them all in one place and then they all showed up fine in the4 car. Hope that helps.
Old 08-30-13, 08:23 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnHazard
I do not use Outlook, so these solutions mean zip to me. I am merely trying to get my phone contact list onto the Bluetooth. The Samsung Galaxy S3 phone is paired and it works, but the contacts will not transfer. I too have tried many times and repaired the phone, etc. This is the third "brain" I've had on this phone and the first that did not transfer my contacts. Don't even ask. LOL. Phone issues galore this summer....
What Frank1934 said and also check the notifications on the phone. When you start the transfer on the car you should get a notification on the phone to allow it. It should be asking for PBAP permission. And make sure to check "always allow". When you first pair it as well, the phone should have that pop up and ask permission for the car to access the phonebook. Check www.lexus.com/bluetooth . Put in your car and phone and it will giving you pairing and transfer instructions.

Quick Reply: 2013 ES Pairing Samsung Galaxy S3 - Some Contacts Missing?