ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2012 ES: Wiper Position Interferes with and Scratches Hood!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 10:30 AM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 ES: Wiper Position Interferes with and Scratches Hood!

So we got our first snow of the DC area and the night before, in the dark, before it snowed, I went out to pull the windshield wiper blades out/away from the windshield so I could clean the snow off the windshield more easily after it snowed. As I was pulling them out I felt a resistance, and at first did not think much of it, as I did not realize what was happening, but then I looked more closely and realized the blades were grinding against the edge of the hood as I was pulling them out. In the morning I inspected more carefully and discovered the position of the wiper blades were so low that when you pull them out, it does not properly clear the edge of the hood, and I wound up scratching the hood in both places where the wipers hit them. They are not horrible scratches, but they are like white lines, and just enough to make me worried that over time they might rust.

I searched these forums and found that on many Lexus models the wipers are designed to have two positions, and that before lifting the blades up/out from the windshield, you can (and should) shift them up to a higher position (takes a lot of force). I do NOT remember reading about this in the car manual, and the post says many people could not find it their manuals either. Besides, who reads the car manual word for word anyway?

My question is, is the dealer going to make me pay to repair the scratches on the edge of my hood because of not knowing I was supposed to manhandle the wiper blades to an upper position prior to pulling the blades out? On most cars, the blades lift up from the one position they are set at. I didn't know I was going to scratch my hood when I went to lift them up. It doesn't come to one's mind to think you are going to have to yank your wiper blades out of the position they are in with force- most would be scared they would damage their allignment by doing this.

I want Lexus to fix the scratches I caused due to this stupid design flaw. Anybody think I have a case? Thanks.
Old 01-25-13, 04:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You are probably out of luck in getting the dealer to fix the scratches. As I recall in the manual it's covered under something like a "winter setting" for the blades.

Since instructions are provided it may be difficult to convince the dealer to fix it for free. Wouldn't hurt to ask though maybe they'd so a goodwill repair - But doubtful IMO.
Old 01-25-13, 08:31 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did the same thing with my ES at first, didn't read or understand the two setting positions. Luckily, i didn't scratch that much and still now i found it stupid to have those 2 setting positions at all. I did put touch up paint over the edge.
Old 01-26-13, 06:17 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a es350 and a Mazda Millenia and both car are the same when I comes to the wiper positions, I doubt the dealer will fix that. Get a touch up stick and cover up the small scratches.
Old 01-26-13, 06:27 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You are probably out of luck in getting the dealer to fix the scratches. As I recall in the manual it's covered under something like a "winter setting" for the blades.

Since instructions are provided it may be difficult to convince the dealer to fix it for free. Wouldn't hurt to ask though maybe they'd so a goodwill repair - But doubtful IMO.
+1! This is NOT a design flaw, nor is it Lexus' fault in any way. If Lexus chooses to fix your mistake for free, it will only be a gesture of good will on their part. Be nice to them.
Old 01-26-13, 06:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by lipappy
I want Lexus to fix the scratches I caused due to this stupid design flaw. Anybody think I have a case? Thanks.
Not stupid and not a design flaw. If you didn't force things or read your manual it wouldn't have happened. IMHO, you have absolutely no case - It's entirely your fault.

Lou
Old 02-12-13, 01:31 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by lipappy
So we got our first snow of the DC area and the night before, in the dark, before it snowed, I went out to pull the windshield wiper blades out/away from the windshield so I could clean the snow off the windshield more easily after it snowed. As I was pulling them out I felt a resistance, and at first did not think much of it, as I did not realize what was happening, but then I looked more closely and realized the blades were grinding against the edge of the hood as I was pulling them out. In the morning I inspected more carefully and discovered the position of the wiper blades were so low that when you pull them out, it does not properly clear the edge of the hood, and I wound up scratching the hood in both places where the wipers hit them. They are not horrible scratches, but they are like white lines, and just enough to make me worried that over time they might rust.

I searched these forums and found that on many Lexus models the wipers are designed to have two positions, and that before lifting the blades up/out from the windshield, you can (and should) shift them up to a higher position (takes a lot of force). I do NOT remember reading about this in the car manual, and the post says many people could not find it their manuals either. Besides, who reads the car manual word for word anyway?

My question is, is the dealer going to make me pay to repair the scratches on the edge of my hood because of not knowing I was supposed to manhandle the wiper blades to an upper position prior to pulling the blades out? On most cars, the blades lift up from the one position they are set at. I didn't know I was going to scratch my hood when I went to lift them up. It doesn't come to one's mind to think you are going to have to yank your wiper blades out of the position they are in with force- most would be scared they would damage their allignment by doing this.

PAGE 329 - 2013 ES350 Manual. Two positions.
Old 02-12-13, 02:22 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or, you could use half a brain, and start the car, kick the wipers, shut the car off when they're all the way up, voila.
Old 02-12-13, 03:57 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in Montreal a number of years ago in the winter. Drove by their airport parking lot and saw many parked cars with their wiper arms pulled out away from the windshield with the wiper blades hanging in mid air.