ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The mist is missed no more...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 07:25 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The mist is missed no more...

Here it is people, the one you have been waiting for. No longer will you have to turn your wipers to INT and then off again, like a fool, just to get a single wipe when you need one! Why this simple feature was left off is a mystery.

I present to you the wiper mist swap. This is for 3ES models, may apply to others but I wouldn't know.

Quite simply, what you need is the wiper switch from a 01-05 IS300. Direct swap, works slightly different pull back for mist, the washer is a button on the end of the stalk.

As you may notice the "INT" adjusting ring is a shade of grey on the IS300, you could probably take apart the stalks and swap them if keeping it black really matters to you. Doesn't bother me so I did not look into it. There may be another Toyota product to swap with, but I couldn't identify any other plug and play match so there you go.

Swapping is simple, I'll give you a guide here, not comprehensive but shows you how to do it, takes about 15min.

Pop off the covers on each side of the wheel, loosen those torx that hold the airbag in*:

Pull the airbag out, disconnect the connector and set it aside

Now you will loosen the center nut to pull the steering wheel off (19mm), before you do that mark the shaft and the wheel so you put it back on the same place. Also go ahead and disconnect the white plug in the top center there from the roll connector. Now don't pull the center nut all the way off. Leave it on and yank on the wheel to get it off the splines. Now remove the wheel.

Remove the two visible screws there and one more under the center. Then snap the upper and lower halves of the column apart. You can pull the top half out, leave the bottom half hanging down.

Remove two screws holding the wiper stalk/switch in, disconnect the connector on the bottom and slide it out.

Assembly, as they say, is the reverse of removal. FYI if you are following the OEM service procedure make sure not to test the new switch at this point...you must wait until you have hooked the airbag back up. Also don't turn that roll connector over and lose its place it needs to stay at the same position it was when the wheel was removed.

Enjoy your misting!!

(*Airbag note: Disconnect the battery if it makes you feel better. Surprisingly enough the OEM factory service manual does not have you disconnect the battery at all to remove the airbag! The only caution is to place it face up when you set it aside and not to turn the ignition on while the airbag is out so you don't set a DTC. I took my airbag out multiple times working on this mod while battery connected with no issue at all)
Old 03-29-13, 07:52 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

That is awesome.* Too bad we don't have a moderator, otherwise I would request to make this a Sticky of some sort.

*Added to my To Do list.
Old 03-29-13, 09:12 PM
Jazzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, man, THIS. ROCKS.
Old 03-29-13, 09:21 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

a good DIY thread . me like.
Also how much is that wiper from IS300
Old 03-29-13, 09:39 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

I picked up mine used for $30 shipped off EBay. Looks like the same seller relisted another of the same a little cheaper on sale right now.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2005-LEXUS-IS300-WINDSHIELD-WIPER-SWITCH-OEM-S-5-/321097961915?vxp=mtr
Old 03-29-13, 10:32 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I don't need it, but I am so tempted to do it haha
Old 03-30-13, 10:04 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Not bad! I'll look around for a switch and probably do it this summer... Biggest PITA will be the airbag, and carefully paying attention to the clock spring.
Old 03-31-13, 07:36 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Airbag is no big deal at all, two torx and its out. Neither is the clock spring/roll connector. This swap is really a 15 min job I did it like 5 times.
Old 07-05-13, 08:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Did the upgrade, it bugged me to no end not having the mist feature, I kept activated the washers out of habit. What were you thinking Lexus...

Thanks for making this thread, without it I doubt it would have occurred to me to try and source a switch from another Lexus model. BTW the silver blends well with the ivory interior, the steering wheel and trim pieces are close enough where it looks good.

The mist is missed no more...-j0fndkt.jpg
Old 07-06-13, 04:35 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Nice, glad to see some others doing this! I really expected more buzz around this one since it is a pretty cheap and easy mod, and the lack of mist function is so basic. I looked at a lot of switches for this, many ES and Camry years don't have the mist feature. I use it all the time, great mod-for-dollar value here.
Old 07-07-13, 01:18 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ with time... This is on my to do list this summer!
Old 07-07-13, 02:23 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a tip, you should be able to remove the steering column cover screws by turning the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left and right. That way you don't have to remove the steering wheel. I did the same on my other car. Great mod find!
Old 07-09-13, 08:21 PM
jami1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by synrgy350
Just a tip, you should be able to remove the steering column cover screws by turning the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left and right. That way you don't have to remove the steering wheel. I did the same on my other car. Great mod find!

So I do not have to take the whole steering wheel off?
Old 07-13-13, 01:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by jami1
So I do not have to take the whole steering wheel off?
In theory no. I removed it because it's easy.

Drove the car in the rain several times so far, a must have upgrade I don't know why I waited so long to do this.
Old 01-04-14, 07:24 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

This is a great mod that I've been wanting on my cars forever.

Does anyone know about this mod on the 4ES?

I did some background research, and thought that since 4ES is based on the 5th Gen Camry, the wiper stocks might be interchangeable.... turns out its not.

I grabbed a stock from a 2003 Camry in the junkyard and opened up my ES330's steering column to see how it would fit.

All of the electrical is the same based on the wiring diagrams, the switch plugs in and works fine with the one-touch-wipe, despite there being more connectors on the ES330 wiper stock. My car does not have automatic wipers.

However the problem is the housing of the wiper stocks are different. The one in the ES330 resembles the one in Power6's original post, with two side accessed screws allowing for the stock to slide in. This is also similar to the one in my Solara (which doesn't have mist wipe either).

I checked the wiring diagrams for the 3ES, Solara, Gen 5 Camry and ES330 and they all are electrically interchangeable. Therefore most likely the IS300 wiper stock might also work in the 2002-2006 ES.

I just need a stock to try it out and confirm...

Quick Reply: The mist is missed no more...