ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Leaking Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 07:34 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Changed every 40-50k miles and the Toyota type 4? I think it was , it's whatever the Toyota fluid that is suggested
Old 06-23-12, 10:10 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When rear main seal was leaking on our 96, I've used Bar's leak rear main conditioner but it didn't help. This is last resort, you could use some transmission leak seal.
Old 06-23-12, 10:48 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^Have tried with no help, i ended up deciding on going to a place called continental transmission. He said to remove and reinstall the transmission, labor would be $390 dollars, then anything else would be for parts or other seals that would need to be replaced. I feel like that would be cheaper then the 1300 i was expecting to pay at AAMCO
Old 06-27-12, 11:09 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Bad news, the transmission will have a partial rebuild since it was overheating. He is also putting in a transmission cooler or a new one? replacing a pump, all the seals, and some lines. Essentially a 90% rebuild of the transmission. Out the door itll be $1950. I'm pissed, but i keep telling myself it cheaper then a new car i guess.
Old 06-27-12, 11:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Bad news, the transmission will have a partial rebuild since it was overheating. He is also putting in a transmission cooler or a new one? replacing a pump, all the seals, and some lines. Essentially a 90% rebuild of the transmission. Out the door itll be $1950. I'm pissed, but i keep telling myself it cheaper then a new car i guess.
Why was the trans overheating? Is the radiator plugged? How does he know the trans overheated?
Old 06-27-12, 04:32 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 120 Posts

That's why I said it was worthwhile to go ahead and look at getting a rebuild rather than spending $1,200 on just a new seal for a transmission with nearly 200,000 miles. I don't care how well built a car is or how often you change the fluid, modern automatic transmissions usually don't go that many miles without eventually having some issues.

Glad you didn't get ripped off at AAMCO and now you'll have an ES300 that will go another 200k miles
Old 06-27-12, 09:42 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to find rebuilt transmission and swap it?
Old 06-28-12, 07:56 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

1900 for a transmission that better part of 80% of it is brand new with a 3 year warranty? I think I rather have that then a used unit with a 6 month errant with the about same price and I should have know it was overheating because the fluid was dark but it shifted fine and it has been changed almost every 50k miles. The thing was the transmission still shifted great even when cold in the morning. O well i just tell myself it's just money haha
Old 06-28-12, 09:57 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
1900 for a transmission that better part of 80% of it is brand new with a 3 year warranty? I think I rather have that then a used unit with a 6 month errant with the about same price and I should have know it was overheating because the fluid was dark but it shifted fine and it has been changed almost every 50k miles. The thing was the transmission still shifted great even when cold in the morning. O well i just tell myself it's just money haha
Oh, well 50k miles is a lot, especially for the Toyota Type-IV ATF, considering it's not even a synthetic.
Old 06-28-12, 10:38 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
Oh, well 50k miles is a lot, especially for the Toyota Type-IV ATF, considering it's not even a synthetic.
Yeah, I recommend 20-30,000 miles. I once changed the transmission fluid on a Mitsubishi with a 3.8L V6, it was around 60k and the fluid was brown.
Old 07-19-12, 11:28 AM
ES330MD05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2005 ES has 101k miles. Never changed the transmission fluid. Color is still pink/purple, not getting brown or dark. What is the recommendation of the forum members? Manual doesn't call for changing it unless car is driven primarily for towing. I did my timing belt change yesterday. After looking at the old water, pump, bearings and seals, belts I felt that I could have gone for another 50k or so before changing (I know you can't tell how much life is left in the belt just by looking at it but what would have been the damage if it broke? My local mechanic said its not an interference engine so broken timing belt wouldn't have cause damage to the engine, I just like the way things came with car). Anyways.... what do you suggest for transmission fluid or any other fluid? Other than regular oil change and brake fluid change at 98k, and coolant with timing belt change I did not change any other fluid.
Old 07-20-12, 04:49 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES330MD05
My 2005 ES has 101k miles. Never changed the transmission fluid. Color is still pink/purple, not getting brown or dark. What is the recommendation of the forum members? Manual doesn't call for changing it unless car is driven primarily for towing. I did my timing belt change yesterday. After looking at the old water, pump, bearings and seals, belts I felt that I could have gone for another 50k or so before changing (I know you can't tell how much life is left in the belt just by looking at it but what would have been the damage if it broke? My local mechanic said its not an interference engine so broken timing belt wouldn't have cause damage to the engine, I just like the way things came with car). Anyways.... what do you suggest for transmission fluid or any other fluid? Other than regular oil change and brake fluid change at 98k, and coolant with timing belt change I did not change any other fluid.
I would get the Toyota T-IV ATF. It's cheap and does the job well. The fact that your fluid is still red is a good sign, I would do a couple of drain-and-fills to refresh the active ingredient content.
Old 07-20-12, 05:11 PM
ES330MD05
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I would get the Toyota T-IV ATF. It's cheap and does the job well. The fact that your fluid is still red is a good sign, I would do a couple of drain-and-fills to refresh the active ingredient content.
Thanks MrBooby (why doesn't forum have a Thanks button?)
I am trying to get into DIY. I think there is a drain plug under the car on driver side. But how do you refill it? I can only see dipstick for transmission fluid. Also how long do you wait after first drain and refill before second one? How many quarts does ES330 need? Manual has no write up on transmission fluid change. TIA.
Old 07-20-12, 09:02 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES330MD05
Thanks MrBooby (why doesn't forum have a Thanks button?)
I am trying to get into DIY. I think there is a drain plug under the car on driver side. But how do you refill it? I can only see dipstick for transmission fluid. Also how long do you wait after first drain and refill before second one? How many quarts does ES330 need? Manual has no write up on transmission fluid change. TIA.
I'm not too familiar with the 4ES, so definitely get some detailed instructions before you go ahead with it.

The way it worked on my 3ES is that I drained the fluid through a plug on the bottom, and I refilled it through the dipstick hole. There is also a drain plug for the differential on my transaxle, but it shares the fluid with the transmission, so it gets filled through the same dipstick port. Yours might be similar, if you don't see any fill plugs. I measured how much I drained out, and that's how much I put in. You might find that going by the book will actually make you have an incorrect fluid level. It works with engines, but not so much with transmissions.

I did a drain and fill every 300 miles or so (a tank of gas).
Old 07-25-12, 07:23 AM
ES330MD05
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so I decided to do drain and fill transmission fluid on my 2005 ES. Ordered the 8 quarts Toyota T-IV ATF from ebay. Was planning on buying jack and jack stands but those service ramps got me thinking and felt it was better way to raise the car for fluid change. They can raise your car by about 8-10 inches or so. Is that good enough clearance for fluid change? Or should I buy the jack? (I might still buy jack stands for the additional support for ramp). Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Leaking Transmission Fluid