ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Frustrating technology

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 07:27 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
If you want to PM me after I return from my vacation (I currently only have access to our NX) any time in August, perhaps we can compare versions and I can at least walk you through how I got ours to work. It sounds like your dealer isn’t really prepared to support these new technology features. Honestly, I don’t think you are missing much though. I don’t plan to use it even though I am a big Amazon Echo user in our home. I am using Alexa with Phillips hue devices, Lutron, Honeywell, Logitech and even Ring. I thought it would be interesting to try the car integration, but it turns out that it isn’t worth the trouble in my humble opinion.
Thanks Doug. Have a great vacation and relax... 100F here today so no outside work getting done...
Old 07-20-19, 08:03 PM
TrentYoung
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Strange... I have a 2014 Lexus 300h and also a 2019 Lexus 300h. The technology works very well for me in both models. With the Lexus Enform I can start the car, get status updates, and also use it as a vehicle locator if I wish. Perhaps it might be the Iphone that might need updating? Or you are running an older model iPhone? Just a guess....
Old 07-20-19, 09:01 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by TrentYoung
Strange... I have a 2014 Lexus 300h and also a 2019 Lexus 300h. The technology works very well for me in both models. With the Lexus Enform I can start the car, get status updates, and also use it as a vehicle locator if I wish. Perhaps it might be the Iphone that might need updating? Or you are running an older model iPhone? Just a guess....
Or gasp, maybe an Android device! (Just kidding ) There could easily be differences between the Android and Apple versions of the app. That isn’t something I would really be able to help test effectively since I am an Apple user. I would be more suspicious of the software in the car and would like to compare version numbers of both components. I know from experience that it is easy to update one and miss the other.
Old 07-21-19, 12:41 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I have no issues with Enform or any of the other tech in both of our cars - new ES and 17 RX. Remote start, locator etc works flawlessly. Android for me and Crapple for my wife.
Old 07-21-19, 04:27 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I have no issues with Enform or any of the other tech in both of our cars - new ES and 17 RX. Remote start, locator etc works flawlessly. Android for me and Crapple for my wife.
At this point, I don’t either but it took two firmware updates to get there - which I believe was the original theme of this thread. Many people, even those with mechanical inclination, may be challenged if they have to download firmware to a flash drive and apply it to the car. My mom would be completely over her head, as would many of the people I used to support when I was providing tech support.
Old 07-21-19, 05:18 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

At this point, I don’t either but it took two firmware updates to get there - which I believe was the original theme of this thread. Many people, even those with mechanical inclination, may be challenged if they have to download firmware to a flash drive and apply it to the car. My mom would be completely over her head, as would many of the people I used to support when I was providing tech support.
Well I dont even know what a firmware update is. Is that merely an update of the Enform app?
Old 07-22-19, 04:48 AM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If you want to PM me after I return from my vacation (I currently only have access to our NX) any time in August, perhaps we can compare versions and I can at least walk you through how I got ours to work. It sounds like your dealer isn’t really prepared to support these new technology features. Honestly, I don’t think you are missing much though. I don’t plan to use it even though I am a big Amazon Echo user in our home. I am using Alexa with Phillips hue devices, Lutron, Honeywell, Logitech and even Ring. I thought it would be interesting to try the car integration, but it turns out that it isn’t worth the trouble in my humble opinion.
Ditto on the Alexa integration with the Lexus, have and use same as Technut at home . while the car has some decent useable things with it the fact that it is also an "input" so you have touswitch out of iit for example to listen to terrestrial radio amongst other things ,makes it a once in a blue use for me. Easier to just open app on my phone and say what i need.
Old 07-22-19, 05:44 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Well I dont even know what a firmware update is. Is that merely an update of the Enform app?
It's software that upgrades (or fixes problems) the capability of your head unit to interact with Lexus Enform, etc. Some are delivered OTA via your phone and others being bigger updates need to be downloaded on to a USB drive and then uploaded and applied to the car's head unit.
Old 07-22-19, 09:03 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Yes. It’s an update to the embedded Enform software in the car.
Old 07-22-19, 09:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. It’s an update to the embedded Enform software in the car.
Well I never performed that update and as I said, my Enform works flawlessly in TWO cars.
Old 07-22-19, 01:56 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Well I never performed that update and as I said, my Enform works flawlessly in TWO cars.
It may have only corrected issues that Apple users were experiencing. All I know for sure is that my Lexus+Alexa app would not connect on my iPhone Xs until I applied the update. Now everything seems to work as expected - but I still feel it is a bit clunky between the two apps that have to be running on the phone and the third app on the car. As far as older cars go, I don’t have any problem with Enform or any of the tech in our 2016 NX or our former 2015 ES and 2013 RX. We did have an Enform update that we had to download and install on the 2015 ES however. It wasn’t absolutely required though as it didn’t correct any specifically broken feature (at least to the best of my knowledge).