ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

LOW Gas Milage - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 01:43 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I get about 16 MPG on a LS500 in city driving. It's slightly worse than the 17.5MPG I used to get on my previous LS460L. However on the highway I get about 36 MPG on the LS500 when driving at a steady 70 MPH. The LS460L in comparison could only get up to 30 MPG on the highway. Stops and starts don't do any wonders for your MPG.
Old 07-03-19, 05:09 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Jimv1083 - the optimum MPG from our Hybrids is around town, electricity creates momentum
while accelerating and the momentum creates electricity when slowing down. At highway speeds
it is just a very nice 4 cylinder car. Our 2018 ES300h (40/39/40) gets 41 when commuting at a
27 MPH average, 37 MPG at 70 MPH but only 32 MPG (!?!) when cruising at 75 MPH.
I would argue this depends so much on driving styles and many other factors. The 2015 ESh we traded last Friday typically delivered about 37 - 38 around town. When it was nearly new, our first road trip netted about 35 which is what I would expect, although last summer a trip produced 38 MPG on 100% highway. We took a trip this last May, and we actually achieved 43 MPG on two separate tanks (and with speed limit of 80 MPH on the last tank). So I guess the moral here is that there are numerous factors that seem to determine mileage and it isn’t entirely obvious what makes the best formula.

The 2019 ESh is rated at 43 city and 45 highway. Given the fact that cars rarely meet the rated mileage, I wouldn’t find 41 MPG for city driving to be out of line. It is unusual for a hybrid to be rated at higher mileage on the highway versus city, so I am looking forward to testing that...
Old 07-19-19, 06:53 AM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
I have the hybrid and I'm also not getting the mileage was hoping for/expecting. The EPA estimate is 45 and many reviews said it does pretty good at getting that. Even keeping it in Eco mode, cruise control set at 70mph and mostly freeway driving after 10 fill-ups I'm getting just under 41mpg. I was really hoping for like 43mpg average.
I just put my 3rd tank in my 2019 ESh. I'm also a little underwhelmed by the gas mileage. Unless I'm on the freeway I can't seem to crack 40mpg at all. I drove the 2nd tank exclusively in ECO mode, did not use the remote start, and really tried to accelerate like a granny. My Fuelly App said I got 36.x MPG. Hoping for better on tank three. And yes... the AC is on, its summer in TX.

Originally Posted by jimv1983
You made the right decision getting the Lexus over there Genesis. With Genesis you'd basically be getting the quality and reliability of a Hyundai.
Had two Hyundai sedans before my 2019 ESh. A 2016 Genesis Sedan 3.8 AWD, and a 2013 Hyundai Azera. Both were rock solid reliability. Nothing but gas, oil, and filter for the term of the lease. I enjoyed my Genesis, and it still has some tech the ESh doesn't have (Android Auto!!!), but I didn't get another because it basically got SUV gas mileage. The AWD system was nice, but it took a toll on an already average gas mileage engine. People still gave me complements on the car at 3 years old. Its a good looking vehicle.
Old 07-19-19, 07:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,330 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by aygriffith
I just put my 3rd tank in my 2019 ESh. I'm also a little underwhelmed by the gas mileage. Unless I'm on the freeway I can't seem to crack 40mpg at all. I drove the 2nd tank exclusively in ECO mode, did not use the remote start, and really tried to accelerate like a granny. My Fuelly App said I got 36.x MPG. Hoping for better on tank three. And yes... the AC is on, its summer in TX.

Had two Hyundai sedans before my 2019 ESh. A 2016 Genesis Sedan 3.8 AWD, and a 2013 Hyundai Azera. Both were rock solid reliability. Nothing but gas, oil, and filter for the term of the lease. I enjoyed my Genesis, and it still has some tech the ESh doesn't have (Android Auto!!!), but I didn't get another because it basically got SUV gas mileage. The AWD system was nice, but it took a toll on an already average gas mileage engine. People still gave me complements on the car at 3 years old. Its a good looking vehicle.
I agree - Hyundai products are super reliable. Don't be fooled by the crooked H on the grill. They make great cars. I had a 14 Azera which was pretty bullet proof as well. Traded it cause I fell in love with the new ES FSport.
Old 07-23-19, 06:58 PM
DiamondES
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

My first tank and the dash is indicting 26 combined as the EPA estimate. Definitely has a lot to do with the heaviness of your foot as well as the environment you drive in. On the highway drive back from the dealer , i got 32.8.

My car came equipped with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires, that might play a role as well in the good mileage.

Old 07-24-19, 02:54 AM
mickbrown
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondES
My first tank and the dash is indicting 26 combined as the EPA estimate. Definitely has a lot to do with the heaviness of your foot as well as the environment you drive in. On the highway drive back from the dealer , i got 32.8.

My car came equipped with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires, that might play a role as well in the good mileage.

106 degrees! Yikes!
Old 07-24-19, 07:13 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I find the dash thermometer reads nearly 10 degrees higher than the actual air temp. I know most are a bit higher but this one way off.
Old 07-24-19, 07:54 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I find the dash thermometer reads nearly 10 degrees higher than the actual air temp. I know most are a bit higher but this one way off.
Interesting. I wonder if altitude or humidity is a factor in that accuracy? Ours seems to be within a couple degrees of what our home thermometers are showing.
Old 07-24-19, 07:55 AM
1stTimeLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
That's odd because my dash thermometer typically indicates 5-6 degrees color than the actual air temp. It's worse if the car is parked in a shaded area. If I pull weather from Enform in-car weather - the dash thermometer and Enform weather are never the same. But my phone app and Enform weather are typically spot on. I guess not all ambient temperature sensors are created equal...
Old 07-24-19, 08:34 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Mine is usually only a couple of degrees warmer from the weather channel app on my phone.
Old 07-24-19, 01:56 PM
DiamondES
Rookie

Originally Posted by mickbrown
106 degrees! Yikes!
This week is a scorcher here in Diamond Bar, yesterday was 101 and today is the same. I guess the car was indicating about 5 degrees higher than what it was. Still really really hot.

Moreover. the engineers at Lexus deserve a medal for designing the cooled air seats to blow air directly towards that very sensitive area for us men. It is absolutely perfect lol
The following 2 users liked this post by DiamondES:
GS350Miami (07-25-19), kalel2127 (07-24-19)
Old 07-24-19, 02:57 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

This week is a scorcher here in Diamond Bar, yesterday was 101 and today is the same. I guess the car was indicating about 5 degrees higher than what it was. Still really really hot.

Moreover. the engineers at Lexus deserve a medal for designing the cooled air seats to blow air directly towards that very sensitive area for us men. It is absolutely perfect lol
They actually suck the air in but they work well. Better in the ES than the RX.
The following users liked this post:
DiamondES (07-27-19)
Old 07-24-19, 02:59 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,210 Likes on 631 Posts

One of my favorite things about the car lol the cooled seats feel so great down south.
Old 07-26-19, 01:41 PM
DiamondES
Rookie

Originally Posted by 95bat
One of my favorite things about the car lol the cooled seats feel so great down south.
yes indeed, making these 100 + degree days much less intolerable

Im at about 150 miles on my 2nd tank and averaging 34.4 mpg , so i would say the EPA estimates are pretty much spot on.
Old 01-21-20, 05:23 AM
ShadyLexus
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I too have a '19 ES350. So far (3400 mi.) my mileage is 21.3 with virtually all of it in town, so it is possible to get near the EPA rating. I drive in ECO mode most of the time and have learned not to accelerate hard from each stoplight. I'm not a rolling roadblock, but I'm no longer the jackrabbit. I have noticed that idling the car for long periods to cool it reduces the mileage quite a bit. For your all city driving, the ES300h is the right solution, but you can adapt your driving style to get better mileage. By the way, the G80 is a great car but one of its few weaknesses is poor gas mileage.
Im getting around 21.5 MPG combined on my 2019 Lexus ES F sport car. I drove both city and highway both traffic and no traffic. What’s your thoughts

Quick Reply: LOW Gas Milage - anyone else?