Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

Roof Racks for ES300H

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 11:28 AM
mgrayson
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof Racks for ES300H

I’m new to this forum or any forum for that matter. I plan on buying soon the Lexus ES300H, which would be first Lexus ever bought. It’s really a gift for my wife and maybe a little bit for myself.

The question is that I thinking of buying roof racks for the car (down the road) and wondering if this even possible? I can’t find anything on the Lexus website as an option of buying one. I know it probably won’t be the most attractive, but it we do need something functional for certain gear for longer road trips, since the car doesn’t do 60/40-fold down rear seats.

Lastly, what prices are you getting here in Oregon as I’m considering of buying either the mid-level or luxury model? I feel I can get a better price, but I haven’t bought a car in a long time at a dealership. I plan on paying in cash, most likely. Is Costco any good?

MSRP $51,294 --> Quoted at $49,094 (including tax, doc, etc.) $3000+ dollars in savings.

MSRP $48,449 --> Quoted at $46,212

I appreciate any help offered.

Old 04-25-19, 11:37 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 163 Posts

Your best bet would be to contact the local Thule dealer (or roof rack brand of your choice). I was interested in purchasing adaptors to fit my older Thule bar system to the 2014 ES350 and they gave me the part numbers I would need. Since then I've decided we'll use my wife's RAV4 when it's time to take the kayaks to the water so...different adapters. I would definitely recommend being very careful with any rack system on an ES however; the foot pads can easily mar the finish where they "land" on the roof. Of course you will need to be extra careful if you are getting the panorama roof to ensure that the feet don't land "ON" the glass.
Old 04-25-19, 12:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The discounts from MSRP in the prices that you have been quoted are not nearly as good as what should be available in the current market. Recent reports here on CL show that people have been getting discounts from MSRP in the 12-14% range. Even when the 2019 ES was first available last fall, people were getting discounts from MSRP in the 6-8% range.

In order to be able to get good discounts, you will need to get multiple dealers competing with each other, and the easiest way to do that is to contact as many dealers as you can via their internet sales departments. Make sure that you are telling them very specifically what options/equipment you are looking for, and make it clear that you are a serious buyer who is ready to buy now. Once you get offers, used the best one(s) to try to get the other dealers to beat those best offers. After repeating that process a few times, you should, within a few days, get a good feel for where the bottom of the market is.
Old 04-25-19, 02:47 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Here in Florida, the dealer discount was better than the Costco price. the service that Costco/Sam's uses charges a fee that is passed on to the buyer.
Old 04-26-19, 10:36 AM
mgrayson
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Toosall for the helpful information concerning the roof racks. The Lexus dealership told me to contact ‘Rackattack’ as they are the best option when doing any kind of installation.

Lesz, thank you for the good information on discounts. The problem I’m facing here in the northwest as there are only 2 Lexus dealerships and 3 in the Seattle region. I’m following your advice on getting the best out the door pricing with the specific options/equipment and indicating that I’m a serious buyer, but the dealerships over here are so strict on their pricing that are not nudging past that 4% off. I’m dumbfounded.

Here the options/equipment below that I’m interest in that has total MSRP at $51,242 with a dealer price at $49,242.

 10.2" HEAD-UP DISPLAY (HUD)

 ACCESSORY PACKAGE 2

 BSM W/PARK ASSIST & PANORAMIC VIEW MONITOR

 HEATED LEATHER & WOOD STEERING WHEEL

 LUXURY PACKAGE

 NAVIGATION

 POWER REAR SUNSHADE

 WHEELS: 18" X 8J MULTI-SPOKE ALUMINUM ALLOY

I’ll keep at it with emailing different dealerships and I’m determined to get a better price.
Old 04-30-19, 07:23 AM
2019es300h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Learn how to walk away. At least 10% off or no deal.
Old 04-30-19, 10:26 AM
mgrayson
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for kind information. I'm still on the hunt and will not give up, until I reach a satisfactory percentage off from the MSRP.

So, far I have emailed 5 different dealerships from Oregon to Washington (Seattle). Seattle seems to do better for percentages off, whereas Oregon is pretty strict on their pricing. Oregon dealerships are set at 4-5% off - at the most. Go figure? Sometimes, I feel like I'm fighting tooth and nail with these dealerships, which is quite tiring.

Currently, I'm at 7.5% off, but I agree that more can be taken off.
Old 04-30-19, 04:40 PM
Waldo44
Driver School Candidate

I also live in the northwest and been dealing with the same two dealer in Oregon. I talk to the internet salesperson and got a price of 2 % off the Msrp invoice and I inform her that I got a 10% off in Arizona she couldn’t get off the phone fast enough and said I was a price shopper and I haven’t her from her since, funny thing. The other dealer south of Portland, every time I talk to him he wants me to come and see the car. I told him that I drove the car I wanted ( e300h ultra luxury ). I said that I would come and drive the car once we settled on a price. He didn’t want to here of that and it’s been two weeks since we talked. I don’t by base on payments. Only price of the car.

Bill
Old 04-30-19, 08:01 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Oregon is one of those states with no sales tax. In spite of getting a decent discount, in Florida we pay 7% Sales tax to the state. But then again, we have no income tax so I guess it all balances out...
Old 04-30-19, 10:05 PM
mgrayson
Driver School Candidate

At least I’m not alone on this conquest.

Bill, did you get the car from Arizona or are still on the hunt?

If you did purchase this vehicle out-of-state, did you have to pay any taxes outside of Oregon? This is the part I'm trying to understand, as if I find any better deals outside of Oregon, (like Seattle) would I have to pay additional taxes? I know we do have to pay a privilege tax here in Oregon.
Old 05-01-19, 10:21 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Maybe consider getting the car in SoCal...much better deals (more than 10% off) and sales tax is based on your address. Could make a nice trip out of it.
Old 05-01-19, 01:57 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrayson

Lesz, thank you for the good information on discounts. The problem I’m facing here in the northwest as there are only 2 Lexus dealerships and 3 in the Seattle region. I’m following your advice on getting the best out the door pricing with the specific options/equipment and indicating that I’m a serious buyer, but the dealerships over here are so strict on their pricing that are not nudging past that 4% off. I’m dumbfounded.
I admit that I don't have knowledge of what the market is like in the Northwest, but, in most parts of the country, the benefit of getting offers via the internet/email from a larger number of dealers in a wider geographic area is that it is those other offers that create competition and force the dealers near you to make more attractive offers. Thus, even if you aren't interested in traveling to a more distant dealer, the competition generated by the offers from the more distant dealers is what makes it more likely that you will eventually get more competitive offers from nearby dealers.

If the dealers in your area hold to their minimal discounts, I think I'd be likely to do one of two things. If I was really set on getting a Lexus, I would consider traveling to California, Arizona, Texas, etc., where dealers are offering significantly better pricing. Otherwise, I think I'd consider car choices other than a Lexus. There are other manufacturers who make competitive vehicles that are quite good.

Also, I have a vague recollection of reading threads on CL posted by people from your part of the country who did buy or considered buying Lexus vehicles from California. My recollection is that the laws in those states did allow them to collect some portion of their state's sales from out-of-state buyers who got possession of their new cars in California, but, if you had the car shipped to your residence in Oregon, the California dealer would not collect any sales tax.

https://www.quora.com/Do-Oregon-resi...-in-California
Old 05-01-19, 04:03 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

ES300h's do not get the Panorama Roof even if they are Ultra Luxury Package level.
Old 05-01-19, 09:58 PM
mgrayson
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all again for the kind information.

This is gift for my wife and our 2nd car. If it were up to me, I would have bought the 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited, which I believe I got nearly 9k off the MSRP (a lot research and dealing with dealerships), but my wife didn’t like the car and wanted of course the Lexus brand. So, here we are.

Anyway, I think I finally found two dealerships that are hovering around the 10% off (Oregon & Seattle) with the new $2k Lexus cash incentive that started in May. Nothing bought yet, but I’m closing in on the finish line.

The is the possibility of just buying the car in California and taking a nice drive up the coast. That is good sound advice.
Old 05-06-19, 10:20 AM
Waldo44
Driver School Candidate

I haven’t purchased a Lexus at this time. I priced a es 300h ultra luxury in Phoenix, Arizona at Earnhardt Lexus. I would have purchased that car, but the salesperson was a complete turn off for me. I would have to pay city tax, plus Oregon ( new tax).
I think the total was around 1200.00. If I can’t find a car in Oregon, I will make the purchase in California or Arizona. After reading some post from this tread I will also consider Texas. Mgrayson what Toyota Dealer where you in contact, to get 10% of the MSRP price.

Quick Reply: Roof Racks for ES300H