ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) & Cruise Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 09:56 AM
MSterling
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) & Cruise Control Problems

After using the LTA while the Cruise Control is engaged, I have definitely come to the conclusion that the steering pulls to the left constantly. It gets so close to the other lane, that I thought it would cross over. The left side dash display is indicating that the radar is seeing the lane lines. It's so annoying that I have realized the danger it poses and have made it a habit to disengage when using the CC. This is happening on straight highway sections, not just curves. I also have experience a ping pong effect but it's not as pronounced as the left-pulling.

Has anyone else noticed a pulling effect?
The following 2 users liked this post by MSterling:
isgspring (07-16-20), Lexus376 (04-24-20)
Old 04-18-19, 12:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,683 Posts

My LTA is disabled always. Useless feature for me. I do however love the dynamic cruise.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Lexus376 (04-24-20), MSterling (04-19-19)
Old 04-18-19, 12:29 PM
MSterling
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My LTA is disabled always. Useless feature for me. I do however love the dynamic cruise.
@mikemu30 I love your feedback. Not too thrilled with LTA either. But I would expect it to work correctly. At your opportunity, can you try it with the cruise and see what your experience is regarding pulling or ping pong.

Don't endanger yourself trying.
Old 04-18-19, 12:46 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,210 Likes on 631 Posts

I get a very light ping pong effect, but it's not bad and definitely tolerable. The ping ponging is definitely worse in our '16 RX 350 to the point it's not usable. Mine tends to ride more to the right of the lane, but nothing dangerous as you've described.
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
Fred224798 (05-30-20), MSterling (04-19-19)
Old 04-18-19, 02:54 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

I sometimes get the ping pong effect as well but it's hardly noticeable. Usually, it only happens when the highway or street is at a noticeable slope. For the most part, she stays in the middle of the lane. I love the feature to the point that I use it both on the highway and street. During bumper to bumper traffic, I even remove my hand from the steering wheel. The only downside is driving next to off-ramps, she will kill you if you don't pay attention
The following 2 users liked this post by kalel2127:
Lexus376 (04-24-20), MSterling (04-19-19)
Old 04-18-19, 02:59 PM
MSterling
Rookie

Originally Posted by kalel2127
I sometimes get the ping pong effect as well but it's hardly noticeable. Usually, it only happens when the highway or street is at a noticeable slope. For the most part, she stays in the middle of the lane. I love the feature to the point that I use it both on the highway and street. During bumper to bumper traffic, I even remove my hand from the steering wheel. The only downside is driving next to off-ramps, she will kill you if you don't pay attention
Based upon your usage, I think there is something not right with mine. I'm not going to go to the dealer over this yet. So I'll wait for my 5k free checkup.
Old 04-18-19, 05:51 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
You can't use LTA without your hands on the wheel. After a few seconds on your hands not being on the wheel it gives you a warning to put your hands on the wheel. A few seconds later you get another warning indicating that LTA will be disabled if you don't put your hands back on the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
MSterling (04-19-19)
Old 04-18-19, 06:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah even Cadillacs Supercruise wont allow hands off the wheel and that system is more sophisticated.
MSterling (04-19-19)
Old 04-18-19, 07:59 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The adaptive cruise control system with lane tracing assist is not meant to be used without hands. I find the ES LTA to be very good at keeping me centered when I set my speed and rest my hand near the bottom of the wheel. Only notice ping ponging when not having my hands on the wheel.
MSterling (04-19-19)
Old 04-19-19, 04:17 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

It's also helpful if you need to do something in the cabin that requires two hands, (snicker here) but only for a couple of seconds.
Old 04-19-19, 04:57 AM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Its def more left biased on my car as well, and often disable when i feel my hand getting fatigued from trying to be more in center of lane. Its def not as refined as a couple other manf's systems. I drive the same route for years , this one has a harder time defining lanes , My prev veh Genesis system was excellent and had no troubles on the same stretch of road where this one cannot.
As for hands free , yes obviously you are not supposed to and it will give you a warning if you remove your hands for more than a few seconds . But as anther prev poster mentioned when in stop and go crawling traffic , you notice how it will give you that additional white line ( vehicle trace ) it wont give you athe hands off warning. As i mentioned in another post the smart cruise is good but again in stop and go crawling traffic , this car often when braking to a stop , drives like a 16 year old for the first time. lol Poor braking modulation.
During holiday season here in Fl the beach traffic, with my Genesis, I could travel 2 miles with out having to touch the brake or gas ( my foot is always right over the brake pedal, im not that trusting in the tech) .
Also can anybody feel the haptic steering wheel vibration w lane departure? with the steering wheel telescoped out for me its more heard than felt...
Old 04-19-19, 06:13 AM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I find it is exactly what they named it, a lane keeping assist. As much as I’d like the car to steer itself the reality is that I have to steer it. I find that I stay more centered in the lane with LKA on than off.

When I am alert I can keep well centered myself, but on a long drive when fatigue sets in I wander within the lane. It is in this situation that LKA helps and does a good job keeping me centered. I have noticed slight ping pong effect in long straight sections of highway especially at high speeds, but nothing objectionable. Fortunately, I’ve not experienced anything like the car favoring one side of the lane and me having to correct for it. I agree that riding to one side is something that should be looked into.
Old 04-19-19, 07:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gr8Car4Me
I find it is exactly what they named it, a lane keeping assist. As much as I’d like the car to steer itself the reality is that I have to steer it. I find that I stay more centered in the lane with LKA on than off.

When I am alert I can keep well centered myself, but on a long drive when fatigue sets in I wander within the lane. It is in this situation that LKA helps and does a good job keeping me centered. I have noticed slight ping pong effect in long straight sections of highway especially at high speeds, but nothing objectionable. Fortunately, I’ve not experienced anything like the car favoring one side of the lane and me having to correct for it. I agree that riding to one side is something that should be looked into.
Good point that it's helpful on long drives where fatigue can be an issue. That might be the only time I would turn it on.
Old 04-19-19, 11:20 AM
MSterling
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES63
Its def more left biased on my car as well, and often disable when i feel my hand getting fatigued from trying to be more in center of lane. Its def not as refined as a couple other manf's systems. I drive the same route for years , this one has a harder time defining lanes , My prev veh Genesis system was excellent and had no troubles on the same stretch of road where this one cannot.
As for hands free , yes obviously you are not supposed to and it will give you a warning if you remove your hands for more than a few seconds . But as anther prev poster mentioned when in stop and go crawling traffic , you notice how it will give you that additional white line ( vehicle trace ) it wont give you athe hands off warning. As i mentioned in another post the smart cruise is good but again in stop and go crawling traffic , this car often when braking to a stop , drives like a 16 year old for the first time. lol Poor braking modulation.
During holiday season here in Fl the beach traffic, with my Genesis, I could travel 2 miles with out having to touch the brake or gas ( my foot is always right over the brake pedal, im not that trusting in the tech) .
Also can anybody feel the haptic steering wheel vibration w lane departure? with the steering wheel telescoped out for me its more heard than felt...
We also have another recently bought vehicle that is much better - 2019 BMW X5 (sorry Lexus you lost this one). The X5 tracks perfectly in the center on straight aways and curves. It can be a little annoying because it will force the wheel back to center if you get to close to the lines.
Old 04-22-19, 05:12 AM
1stTimeLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar feature in my last Infiniti and that one was significantly worse than I experience in the Lexus. While the Lexus LTA does slightly ping-pong I haven't noticed it being dangerous until it gets to an off-ramp on the freeway - at which time the system seems to give up and leave you to your own vices without warning. I've only found myself using the feature in bumper-to-bumper traffic where the car will pretty much do all the work when coupled with dynamic cruise. Here in Atlanta we have 'lane hoppers' so high alert is a requirement (oh, wait... I'm one of them ).

Last edited by 1stTimeLex; 04-22-19 at 05:13 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) & Cruise Control Problems