ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Electronic dampeners? Costly repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 12:21 AM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Electronic dampeners? Costly repair

I was looking at the brochure and saw the ultra luxury has electronic dampeners included. That option makes me run away from the f sport and ultra luxury and look at the luxury package.

I know from research the air struts on the LS series run more than $800 a piece when they break. Im sure the electronic dampeners can't be too far off from that. Best to steer clear if you're keeping this car for 10+ years and drive a lot.

Last edited by Hifiman1; 04-14-19 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 04:41 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hifiman1
Best to steer clear if you're keeping this car for 10+ years and drive a lot.
Fortunately, I do neither. Six years, maybe a 7th if I really love a car.

I do remember a Lincoln my family had, equipped with air suspension. Those bladders would need replacing way too often. That was back in the 80's though.
Old 04-14-19, 07:06 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,215 Likes on 633 Posts

A lot of people do tend to avoid electronically adjustable shocks due to cost. I'd rather enjoy them for the time I own the vehicle and worry about maintenance later. Who knows how much a part will be in 10 years?

Either way, you can get the F Sport without electronic shocks. I don't think the Ultra Lux has the Adaptive Variable Suspension (electronic shocks), the website shows it as an F Sport only option. No reason to avoid these two models out of maintenance fears.
Old 04-14-19, 07:30 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,344 Likes on 1,692 Posts

I opted for the FSport WITHOUT AVS for just that reason.
Old 04-14-19, 03:15 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

The ultra luxury has vertical active dampeners. So does the f sport. Active variable suspension (AVS) is an added option that adds more control and fine tuning of the suspension.
Old 04-14-19, 03:58 PM
95bat
Racer

The ultra luxury has vertical active dampeners. So does the f sport. Active variable suspension (AVS) is an added option that adds more control and fine tuning of the suspension.
Vertical active dampeners? That's not even a car part.
Are you referring to the Performance Dampers that are oriented horizontally in the front and rear of the vehicle? Those are not electronically controlled shocks like found in the Active Variable Suspension.
Included with the Ultra Luxury and F SPORT packages are performance dampers at the front and rear of the vehicle, which absorb energy from the chassis for improved handling stability and ride comfort while reducing noise from vibration:
Old 04-14-19, 04:33 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

If that's the case, then there is nothing to worry about. False alarm!
Old 04-14-19, 06:03 PM
95bat
Racer

If that's the case, then there is nothing to worry about. False alarm!
Now if you liked that Ultra Lux you test drove, go for it!!

The only downside I've found to this car after 4 months is that every other car I ride in feels like it rides rough and is too loud. Except my mom's '18 LS 500, that one is still smooth and quiet lol.

If they updated the ES in a few years with more powah I would probably trade in mine and finally have a keeper. I love fast sedans!
Old 04-14-19, 06:58 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95bat
Now if you liked that Ultra Lux you test drove, go for it!!

The only downside I've found to this car after 4 months is that every other car I ride in feels like it rides rough and is too loud. Except my mom's '18 LS 500, that one is still smooth and quiet lol.

If they updated the ES in a few years with more powah I would probably trade in mine and finally have a keeper. I love fast sedans!
The ls500 isn't as quiet as the es 350. The LS 500 isn't even as quiet as the LS 460 or ls430.
Old 04-14-19, 08:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I was looking at the brochure and saw the ultra luxury has electronic dampeners included. That option makes me run away from the f sport and ultra luxury and look at the luxury package.

I know from research the air struts on the LS series run more than $800 a piece when they break. Im sure the electronic dampeners can't be too far off from that. Best to steer clear if you're keeping this car for 10+ years and drive a lot.
Electronic dampeners/ AVS are NOT the same thing as air struts. Totally different thing, and a failure of the electronic dampeners will not render the car underivable like an air suspension failure would.

The ES rides notably better with AVS, AVS is actually an incredible feature. I think its silly to avoid a feature that improves the car because it MIGHT break a decade down the road.
Old 04-14-19, 09:34 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

I have my doubts avs will ride better than the regular suspension.

I can see how it helps in cornering. But I feel it is used due to the 19" wheels and
rubberband tires on the f sport trim imo. You'd be better off using that money and getting a taller sidewall tire.
Old 04-14-19, 09:59 PM
95bat
Racer

The ls500 isn't as quiet as the es 350. The LS 500 isn't even as quiet as the LS 460 or ls430.
I guess your experience is different from mine, if you've driven both. I drive them back to back frequently and can't say my ES is quieter than the LS.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Electronic dampeners/ AVS are NOT the same thing as air struts. Totally different thing, and a failure of the electronic dampeners will not render the car underivable like an air suspension failure would.

The ES rides notably better with AVS, AVS is actually an incredible feature. I think its silly to avoid a feature that improves the car because it MIGHT break a decade down the road.
Agreed!
Old 04-14-19, 10:02 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

I factor in the added noise from the turbos and rear differential, axle, and drive shaft.
Old 04-15-19, 09:37 AM
95bat
Racer

I factor in the added noise from the turbos and rear differential, axle, and drive shaft.
That's.... interesting.

What does an axle and driveshaft sound like?
Old 04-15-19, 10:17 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Lexus has been using performance dampers in other models since early 2000s. I have never heard anyone post issues with it.

Quick Reply: Electronic dampeners? Costly repair