Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

Noise On Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 08:12 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Noise On Hybrid

I just got my ES 300h on Wednesday. While dropping my dad off at home he noticed a noise when I took my foot off the brake. It's like a whining sound in both drive and reverse. It sounds like it might go away at higher speeds above maybe 10 MPH but it's hard to tell. I have read that the hybrid does make a noise at low speeds to alert people near by since the ICE isn't running. I don't know what that is supposed to sound like so I don't know for sure.

I uploaded a sound file that I recorded with my phone. If someone with an ES 300h can listen and tell me if you are having it too it would be very helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Car Noise.mp3 (202.9 KB, 2874 views)

Last edited by jimv1983; 04-05-19 at 08:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimv1983:
Hanky (04-06-19), lexus4wen (06-13-20)
Old 04-06-19, 12:17 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Yep! Normal.

Interesting that Lexus implemented such a loud sound. My sister’s Mercedes GLC350e doesn’t make any noise at all when running on just electric.
The following users liked this post:
Panson (08-30-19)
Old 04-06-19, 07:13 AM
GabC
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
I just got my ES 300h on Wednesday. While dropping my dad off at home he noticed a noise when I took my foot off the brake. It's like a whining sound in both drive and reverse. It sounds like it might go away at higher speeds above maybe 10 MPH but it's hard to tell. I have read that the hybrid does make a noise at low speeds to alert people near by since the ICE isn't running. I don't know what that is supposed to sound like so I don't know for sure.

I uploaded a sound file that I recorded with my phone. If someone with an ES 300h can listen and tell me if you are having it too it would be very helpful.
Don't have a 300h but that should be the hybrids proximity notification sound it makes when driving below a certain speed to warn people around since its quiet. Both in reverse and forward driving.

From the manual..
Vehicle proximity notification system.
When driving with the gasoline engine stopped, a sound, which changes in accordance with the driving speed, will be played in order to warn people nearby of the vehicle’s approach. This sound may be heard inside the vehicle. The sound will stop when the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 15 mph (25 km/h).■Vehicle proximity notification system In the following cases, the vehicle proximity notification system may be difficult for surrounding people to hear.●In very noisy areas●In the wind or the rain Also, as the vehicle proximity notification system is installed on the front of the vehicle, it may be more difficult to hear from the rear of the vehicle compared to the front.
Old 04-06-19, 08:29 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Toyota/Lexus got ahead of any legislation that may require a notification sound.
Does anybody know of a jurisdiction that already has such a law?

Check out this early Fisker Karma notification sound...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A83C&FORM=VIRE
Old 04-06-19, 08:51 AM
Hanky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2019 ES300 has the same sound while in EV mode, forward and reverse. Not pleasant. I couldn't find any information in the owner's manual.
Old 04-06-19, 11:43 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Page 55 of the Owner's Manual:

When driving with the gasoline engine stopped, a sound, which changes in accordance with the driving speed, will be played in order to warn people nearby of the vehicle’s approach. This sound may be heard inside the vehicle. The sound will stop when the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 15 mph (25 km/h).
■Vehicle proximity notification system In the following cases, the vehicle proximity notification system may be difficult for surrounding people to hear. ●In very noisy areas ●In the wind or the rain Also, as the vehicle proximity notification system is installed on the front of the vehicle, it may be more difficult to hear from the rear of the vehicle compared to the front.
The following users liked this post:
Hanky (04-06-19)
Old 04-06-19, 11:46 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Page 55 of the Owner's Manual:

When driving with the gasoline engine stopped, a sound, which changes in accordance with the driving speed, will be played in order to warn people nearby of the vehicle’s approach. This sound may be heard inside the vehicle. The sound will stop when the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 15 mph (25 km/h).
■Vehicle proximity notification system In the following cases, the vehicle proximity notification system may be difficult for surrounding people to hear. ●In very noisy areas ●In the wind or the rain Also, as the vehicle proximity notification system is installed on the front of the vehicle, it may be more difficult to hear from the rear of the vehicle compared to the front.
Thanks. I looked in the owners manual but wasn't sure what to look for. I'll probably still check with the dealer to make sure the sound I'm hearing is the sound mentioned in the manual and not something else but I'm not really concerned anymore.
Old 04-06-19, 01:38 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

The Proximity sound is designed to warn pedestrians that you are moving without the IC engine noise they customarily would hear.
Your hybrid will emit the "blowing on a pop bottle" hollow ringing sound only when 1) the IC engine is off, 2) you are moving.
When you are at a standstill with the engine off, nothing. Let your foot off the brake and you will hear it.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
DDGNX (04-15-22), Hanky (04-06-19)
Old 04-06-19, 03:24 PM
sties
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it is a hybrid, it makes that sound when going below (I believe) 8 mph. That is a safety feature for anyone around the car in a parking lot, etc. It needs to generate some sound so folks know a car is coming up on them. The Camry Hybrid generates the same noise as my Lexus ES300H.
Old 04-07-19, 12:10 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sties
Since it is a hybrid, it makes that sound when going below (I believe) 8 mph. That is a safety feature for anyone around the car in a parking lot, etc. It needs to generate some sound so folks know a car is coming up on them. The Camry Hybrid generates the same noise as my Lexus ES300H.
Yes, I have heard about that. I just figured it would sound different than the awful sound my car makes. Just curious, did you listen to the clip I posted? Is that the same sound? My real purpose was to make sure the sound I was hearing really was the pedestrian safety sound and not a problem.

Also, if the Camry hybrid makes the same sound it's something recent. I traded in my 2011 Camry hybrid for the ES and my Camry made no sound like that.
Old 04-07-19, 12:44 AM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you pull a fuse to disable it? It must have a separate speaker right?
Old 04-07-19, 10:39 AM
Hanky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I did hear the sound clip that you recorded and it is the same that my 2019 ES300h makes. It would have been better with a more natural engine sound.
Old 04-08-19, 07:17 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

I thought Toyota/Lexus started the Proximity Warning Sound in 2013. Our 2010 HS250h did not have the tone either.
Old 04-08-19, 09:25 AM
GabC
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought Toyota/Lexus started the Proximity Warning Sound in 2013. Our 2010 HS250h did not have the tone either.
Yeah but it's not required by law to have it so car manufactures didn't have to do it though they did it anyway after 2010 for safety issues.. I believe this year by sept 2019.. all hybrids and electric vehicles must emit a sound while driving on just the batteries to meet the new federal safety standard.
Old 04-08-19, 08:45 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I don’t hear it on our 2015 ESh, but occasionally I hear it on the 2016 NXh. You have to have the radio off and the windows down to really hear it. Since I never have the radio off and due to allergies, rarely have the windows down, it really hasn’t been an issue. This discussion certainly makes me wonder if it isn’t louder on the new ESh?

Quick Reply: Noise On Hybrid