ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Apple Car Play - Are you Using It, Is it Good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 06:52 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I just got my car this weekend and today was the first time to use CarPlay. I used Waze for navigation and liked it pretty well especially the notes about debris in the road, stalled car, and police. I will probably use it for long trips. Locally I prefer the Lexus navigation for better display and control. I don't mind plugging the phone in, I have a short USB cord and put the phone in the slot upside down.
Old 03-25-19, 09:21 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by MSterling
Today I experimented with the same music on my phone with Bluetooth and CarPlay. The CarPlay was superior. Even my passengers notice.

I find the Hey Siri, to provide slow responses. But that may be my phone. I have a iPhone 6.
Your iPhone is five generations old so that may factor in somewhat, however my iPhone Xs isn’t particularly fast on our Gen 6 ES so I imagine the overall speed is more a function of the car systems than the phone. I assume you are referring to the Siri Eyes Free function invoked by pressing and holding the off-hook on the steering wheel as the “hey Siri” feature is only invoked directly on the phone (or Apple Watch).
Old 03-25-19, 09:35 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
Your iPhone is five generations old so that may factor in somewhat, however my iPhone Xs isn’t particularly fast on our Gen 6 ES so I imagine the overall speed is more a function of the car systems than the phone. I assume you are referring to the Siri Eyes Free function invoked by pressing and holding the off-hook on the steering wheel as the “hey Siri” feature is only invoked directly on the phone (or Apple Watch).
Using Siri in the ES requires holding the phone button? There is literally a voice command button that works for built in Lexus voice commands as well as Alexa integration. Siri can't use that too? Strange.
Old 03-26-19, 12:21 AM
MSterling
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
just saying “hey Siri” in the car works without touching the phone. The microphones in the ceiling pickup your voice. Try it. And by the way I think it’s slow due to the CarPlay interface not my phone, because it works quickly outside of the car.
Old 03-26-19, 08:33 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Today I experimented with the same music on my phone with Bluetooth and CarPlay. The CarPlay was superior. Even my passengers notice.
This is great to know! Thank you! I clearly have to figure out how to adjust the sound for CarPlay, because it sounded BAD when I tried it last week. I was so disappointed, but didn't have time to figure out what needs to be adjusted (CarPlay, the phone, the sound system, or even Waze).

Honestly, I'm not sure if CarPlay is going to be important for me, yet. It seems like it should be and it was a deal breaker for me if the car didn't have it, but I don't know how often I'll use it. I assumed I would continue using Waze instead of the car's nav system, but it seems like they might have improved the system enough that using Waze is a lot less important. Are there any other compelling reasons to use CarPlay?
Old 03-26-19, 08:46 AM
MSterling
Rookie

Originally Posted by Woodrow
This is great to know! Thank you! I clearly have to figure out how to adjust the sound for CarPlay, because it sounded BAD when I tried it last week. I was so disappointed, but didn't have time to figure out what needs to be adjusted (CarPlay, the phone, the sound system, or even Waze).

Honestly, I'm not sure if CarPlay is going to be important for me, yet. It seems like it should be and it was a deal breaker for me if the car didn't have it, but I don't know how often I'll use it. I assumed I would continue using Waze instead of the car's nav system, but it seems like they might have improved the system enough that using Waze is a lot less important. Are there any other compelling reasons to use CarPlay?
the Waze screen for CarPlay is even better than the one when just shown on the phone. Try it. You’ll see. Also, I said “hey Siri”, and asked it to read my messages. That was sort of cool. Also I used the google maps app, and it was also much better on the Nav screen. The Lexus Nav system does not appear to know how to route efficiently. Even to my own home it didn’t make sense. But it would have got me there. Waze and Google we’re better. I have not used Apple maps in a long time.
Old 03-26-19, 08:54 AM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This is exactly the reason I started the thread, I love technology as much as the next person and as I stated so many of my pals talk about having CarPlay, I only play music via the USB from a 256GB very compact thumb drive, Sometimes I will play from the CD in Dash as I have a Disk in there with some of my favorite tunes, and I only listen to the radio for weather on AM and yes, there is weather available via the car display.

It seems a lot of people use Waze and I have heard nothing but praise for it, but believe it or not, I have never used Waze, I have just always found the Navigation to be sufficient to get the job done and the integration is the icing on the cake for me.

I would imagine if you have a vehicle that supports Apple CarPlay but doesn't have built in Nav, it would be great, but the ES, at least in UL Configuration is pretty good on it's own.

So, I haven't really found a true reason to connect my phone via CarPlay, I'm open to anything and that is what I am looking for, info from actual users of the feature.
Old 03-26-19, 03:06 PM
MSterling
Rookie

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
This is exactly the reason I started the thread, I love technology as much as the next person and as I stated so many of my pals talk about having CarPlay, I only play music via the USB from a 256GB very compact thumb drive, Sometimes I will play from the CD in Dash as I have a Disk in there with some of my favorite tunes, and I only listen to the radio for weather on AM and yes, there is weather available via the car display.

It seems a lot of people use Waze and I have heard nothing but praise for it, but believe it or not, I have never used Waze, I have just always found the Navigation to be sufficient to get the job done and the integration is the icing on the cake for me.

I would imagine if you have a vehicle that supports Apple CarPlay but doesn't have built in Nav, it would be great, but the ES, at least in UL Configuration is pretty good on it's own.

So, I haven't really found a true reason to connect my phone via CarPlay, I'm open to anything and that is what I am looking for, info from actual users of the feature.
Waze excels at knowing the best route while taking into account traffic. And will change routes if conditions change.
Old 03-27-19, 04:26 PM
jhansen31
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv

My personal uses:
iPhone X Max
Waze: Best traffic routing AND spots police
Google Maps: When I don't use Waze this is my go-to app for navigation
Audible: Listen to books on tape (phone)
iBook Audio Books: supplements Audible
Pandora Music: Have a subscription and CarPlay integrates
it well
Old 03-27-19, 06:51 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jhansen31
My personal uses:
iPhone X Max
Waze: Best traffic routing AND spots police
Google Maps: When I don't use Waze this is my go-to app for navigation
Audible: Listen to books on tape (phone)
iBook Audio Books: supplements Audible
Pandora Music: Have a subscription and CarPlay integrates
it well
jhansen31,
Thanks for the info, I have to give some of these a try.
It's funny because I use my Apple Devices for lots of things, I just for some reason haven't been interested in using it in the car.
Old 04-02-19, 08:54 AM
User 41924
Instructor

I clearly have to figure out how to adjust the sound for CarPlay, because it sounded BAD when I tried it last week. I was so disappointed, but didn't have time to figure out what needs to be adjusted (CarPlay, the phone, the sound system, or even Waze).
I finally got back to this over the weekend, and discovered the mistake was mine, due to a lack of patience. I thought I would let others know what happened so they don't make the same mistaken assumption I did.

Apparently, in some cases (I was actually in a parking garage) it can take a few extra seconds for ACP to make the connection between the phone and the infotainment system. I THINK my music started playing through the phone speaker before it switched to ACP, and that was the bad sound. I've often noticed that the same thing where Bluetooth starts the music before changing to the car sound system.

User error!
Old 04-02-19, 08:59 AM
MSterling
Rookie

I finally got back to this over the weekend, and discovered the mistake was mine, due to a lack of patience. I thought I would let others know what happened so they don't make the same mistaken assumption I did.

Apparently, in some cases (I was actually in a parking garage) it can take a few extra seconds for ACP to make the connection between the phone and the infotainment system. I THINK my music started playing through the phone speaker before it switched to ACP, and that was the bad sound. I've often noticed that the same thing where Bluetooth starts the music before changing to the car sound system.

User error!
I am curious if you know that you are using a Lightning certified cable. I thought I would try emulating your circumstances and each time my sound switched to the car.
Old 04-02-19, 09:29 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Sooo happy Lexus finally included Apple CarPlay (disappointed they couldn’t make it wireless like BMW, Mercedes, Audi). Much more useful and accurate than the in-car navigation. Made it even easier to use by deleting apps that I don’t use and rearranging the icons.
Old 04-02-19, 10:06 AM
User 41924
Instructor

I am curious if you know that you are using a Lightning certified cable. I thought I would try emulating your circumstances and each time my sound switched to the car.
I don't think it's a certified cable. I was using the Newegg 90 degree cable at the time. It seems to work OK, but maybe this is a reason to use the standard cable?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA3ZH1DC9615
Old 04-02-19, 12:44 PM
GabC
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Waze excels at knowing the best route while taking into account traffic. And will change routes if conditions change.
That's one of the things I don't like about Waze. It reroutes you if there is heavy traffic or an accident, for sure, but most of the times the reroute is messy and it's best if you just stay on the same road. Driving down the freeway and it tells me that there is heavy traffic on the road so changes the route and tells me to get off the freeway, drive 3-5 miles and get back on the freeway thus accumulating 3-5 miles and potentially add more minutes as well? I do like that it informs you if there is a pothole or construction or a stopped car on the road.

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play - Are you Using It, Is it Good?