ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Have you seen your doppleganger in the wild?

Old 02-18-19, 06:36 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Have you seen your doppleganger in the wild?

Usually when I get a car, I suddenly see them everywhere. But, after six weeks owning this one, I have yet to see another ES350 like mine on the streets of Tampa Bay. The only other 7th Gen ES350 I've seen driving around was a Bright White F-Sport in Safety Harbor. I live in an area of over 2Million people and I'm all over the place. Doesn't even seem possible?

Old 02-18-19, 07:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,680 Posts

I live in northern NJ just 25 miles north of NYC and I rarely see any other than when I pass Prestige Lexus every day on way to work SUVs and CUVs are ruling the world.
Old 02-18-19, 07:12 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I like having a less common car. Even though I feel a certain confirmation of good taste with others with the same car, it still bugs me to pull up at a stoplight, and have the car in the next lane be the same car in the same color. But then I've never been accused of being normal!

In Florida, I would think the ES (FWD) would sell more than it does in Colorado where AWD would have more benefit. It does seem really odd that you don't see many!On the other hand, (I'm sure it was a guesstimate) I was told that RX sales represent 80% of Lexus sales at the dealership I use here in Colorado, and the ES was the second most common.
Old 02-18-19, 08:12 AM
Steve300h
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes. Dammit. Guy a few houses away came home with one two days after we did. I had the newest Lexus on the block for two whole days.

* sarcasm alert! I think it's cool we both have great cars and now something to talk about.
Old 02-18-19, 08:39 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I like having a less common car. Even though I feel a certain confirmation of good taste with others with the same car, it still bugs me to pull up at a stoplight, and have the car in the next lane be the same car in the same color. But then I've never been accused of being normal!

In Florida, I would think the ES (FWD) would sell more than it does in Colorado where AWD would have more benefit. It does seem really odd that you don't see many!On the other hand, (I'm sure it was a guesstimate) I was told that RX sales represent 80% of Lexus sales at the dealership I use here in Colorado, and the ES was the second most common.
I believe the NX also outsells the ES these days.
Old 02-18-19, 09:28 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I believe the NX also outsells the ES these days.
Yes, the RX is, by far, the biggest seller of any Lexus model. The RX accounts for between 35% and 40% of all Lexus sales. Until recently, the ES was was, by a good margin, the 2nd best Lexus seller with sales that were typically about 1/2 of RX sales, but, yes, the NX in 2018, outsold the ES by a relatively small margin. I'm sure that, besides the popularity of SUVs, the fact that the 2018 ES was about to be replaced by a new generation ES led to depressed sales of the ES.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/12/...-sales-report/

I would guess that there is a chance, with the introduction of the 7th Generation ES, that the ES could regain its position as the #2 Lexus seller, but, so far, sales numbers for the Generation 7 ES have not been impressive, which is why Lexus is offering rebates and dealers are offering discounts from MSRP somewhat larger than would be expected for a new generation of a vehicle that has only been available for a handful of months.
Old 02-18-19, 10:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
Yes, the RX is, by far, the biggest seller of any Lexus model. The RX accounts for between 35% and 40% of all Lexus sales. Until recently, the ES was was, by a good margin, the 2nd best Lexus seller with sales that were typically about 1/2 of RX sales, but, yes, the NX in 2018, outsold the ES by a relatively small margin. I'm sure that, besides the popularity of SUVs, the fact that the 2018 ES was about to be replaced by a new generation ES led to depressed sales of the ES.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/12/...-sales-report/

I would guess that there is a chance, with the introduction of the 7th Generation ES, that the ES could regain its position as the #2 Lexus seller, but, so far, sales numbers for the Generation 7 ES have not been impressive, which is why Lexus is offering rebates and dealers are offering discounts from MSRP somewhat larger than would be expected for a new generation of a vehicle that has only been available for a handful of months.
Not such a small margin in 2018 - nearly 25% more NX sales as compared with ES. Sedans are a dying breed all across the industry.
Old 02-18-19, 10:30 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Not such a small margin in 2018 - nearly 25% more NX sales as compared with ES. Sedans are a dying breed all across the industry.
When I said that the NX outsold the ES by a relatively small margin, I was referring to the fact that the margin of sales between the NX and the ES was much smaller than the difference between RX sales and ES sales.
Old 02-18-19, 02:49 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

It's really disappointing that sedans are a dying breed. It's so bad that Ford has decided to stop selling sedans at all. I have zero desire to own an SUV. The mileage isn't as good and they don't handle as well.

RX Hybrid: 30 MPG Combined
NX Hybrid: 31 MPG Combined
UX Hydrid: 38 MPG Combined
ES Hybrid: 44 MPG Combined
Old 02-18-19, 04:39 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimv1983
It's really disappointing that sedans are a dying breed. It's so bad that Ford has decided to stop selling sedans at all. I have zero desire to own an SUV. The mileage isn't as good and they don't handle as well.

RX Hybrid: 30 MPG Combined
NX Hybrid: 31 MPG Combined
UX Hydrid: 38 MPG Combined
ES Hybrid: 44 MPG Combined
They're more practical for most families but Im with you preferring a sedan. I will say the RX is a great road car though.
The following users liked this post:
Woodrow (02-19-19)
Old 02-18-19, 05:48 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

They're more practical for most families but Im with you preferring a sedan. I will say the RX is a great road car though.
SUVs certainly have advantages but over taking sedans still amazes me.
Old 02-18-19, 06:32 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

The craze started in the 90s, built up steam, lost some perhaps when fuel prices peaked but now there's no stopping it. Hyundai/Kia bringing out a Yukon like SUV named Palisade/Telluride. They're all catering to consumer demand no matter how we sedan lovers feel.
Old 02-18-19, 06:51 PM
Steve300h
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

We went to Lexus to look at the UX and ended up with the ES 300h. The interior of the UX did not impress us the way the 300h did.

Old 02-19-19, 06:16 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Steve300h
We went to Lexus to look at the UX and ended up with the ES 300h. The interior of the UX did not impress us the way the 300h did.

Apples and oranges and that's the NX interior not the UX.
Old 02-19-19, 06:35 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

The craze started in the 90s, built up steam, lost some perhaps when fuel prices peaked but now there's no stopping it. Hyundai/Kia bringing out a Yukon like SUV named Palisade/Telluride. They're all catering to consumer demand no matter how we sedan lovers feel.
SUVs (I really dislike that name) are nothing more than taller station wagons with AWD. Back in the 60s, most families had a station wagon, and they had the same “Soccer Mom”, bland driving stigma most SUVs have today. Then the mini van came along. Before long, SUVs came along. Initially, they were different, with most having 4wd. This is where the “Sport” came in! They were SPORT utility vehicles on truck frames, designed to go anywhere (roads or not), and carry all your friends and sports gear Required for an “active life style”. It wasn’t long before these great utility vehicles were discovered by people with families, that appreciated the utility/practicality, but didn’t like the truck like ride. So they put them on car frames, improved the ride, added seats, removed gear storage, and took out the “sport” part. So, today we have vehicles on car frames that can vary 8 people. Just like 60s station wagons, without the stigma. The only difference is that you CAN get AWD, but the sport element is still gone, for the most part. Personally, I LIKE station wagons, and I’m really glad they’re starting to make a comeback! Too bad it’s at the expense of sedans. We already mostly lost coupes.

Ebb and flow. What once was, will be again, and all that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have you seen your doppleganger in the wild?