ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

The road not taken.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 06:27 PM
Steve300h
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The road not taken.

We had a long extended and varied search before we finally purchased the ES 300h. We really wanted a Hybrid or PHEV. One car we came very close to purchasing as in actually made an offer on before having second thoughts was the Pacifica PHEV. It was a wonderful car to test drive but two different vans at two different dealers had battery problems on our test drive.

Today I was checking this forum where I see active threads on:
Android V Apple
Wind noise
Illuminated Trunk sills.

Over on the Pacifica fourm I see active threads:
2018 Pacifica Hybrid almost caught fire after latest recall fix
All owners !!! Pacifica hybrid cought on fire - escaped from the car
Battery dies on Pacifica Hybrid - Rolls out of driveway into street!
Dead battery adventures
Let me count the ways..... this car sucks

Feel like I dodged a bullet on that one.
Old 02-10-19, 08:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

As somebody who owns a Pacifica and posts on that board, you made the right choice lol. You should read the non hybrid forum! Sliding doors falling off vans and Chrysler refusing to cover it, numerous infotainment failures, gas Pacificas dying in the middle of intersections because of a fault in their engine start stop system. Mine has been in the shop 3 times for frozen nav screens, and they replaced the whole unit the last time and it still freezes. Rear theatre doesn't work half the time, The vacuum hasn't worked in a year, now one of the sliding doors is grinding (afraid it will fall off) and the automatic parallel parking runs into curbs and other cars.

Its amazing to me the number of problems there, and how they all just think this is how it should be. In one thread a guy actually said "it just used to be that you bought a car and it was many years before it started having major problems". No! These cars are just garbage!

A Lexus/Toyota might not always be the fanciest car you can buy, but its a great combination of fancy, quality and dependability.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
signdetres (02-12-19), Steve300h (02-11-19)
Old 02-10-19, 08:32 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Not surprising from Chrysler.
Old 02-11-19, 03:38 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a '15 and '17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit which both gave me problems from the outset. With the '17, the air suspension failed in cold weather. Imagine driving 300 miles on the interstate riding on bump stops! The Jeep forum makes clear that FCA is well-aware of the problems with Quadra-Lift. For me, the dealership could not reproduce the problem so I was SOL.

The two best things about the Summit were the seats/ride and the awesome Harman-Kardon sound system.
Old 02-11-19, 03:40 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Think this chart will explain a lot. Lexus has been #1 for an amazing eight years in a row.

Last edited by Freds430; 02-14-19 at 04:05 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 06:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,344 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Isn't Pacifica a minivan? Trying to understand cross-shopping with the ES in that case.
Old 02-11-19, 07:01 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Isn't Pacifica a minivan? Trying to understand cross-shopping with the ES in that case.
I think that lots of people shop based on available purchase budget, regardless of "class" of vehicle.

If I've got $45 k to spend, why wouldn't I consider everything in that price range, assuming of course the functionality of the different vehicles meets your needs as you define them?

IMO, the incredible slicing and dicing into classes of vehicles today is strictly for the benefit of the manufactures, not the consumer.
Old 02-11-19, 07:03 AM
Steve300h
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikemu30
We need two new cars, one commuter/sedan and one people mover. At the point we were looking at the Pacifica we were still on the fence about which one to get first. The federal rebate on PHEV's made the Pacifica tempting. It was the only 3-row PHEV on the list so once we ruled it out we opted to go for the commuter/sedan first since it gets more use.
Old 02-11-19, 07:41 AM
Steve300h
Rookie

Originally Posted by Freds430
Think this chart will explain a lot. Lexus has been #1 for an amazing seven years in a row. You have the most dependable and the least dependable.
It's interesting to me how JD ranks compared to how Consumer Reports ranks. Subaru gets burnt while Chevy and Lincoln get the glory but either way Lexus rules the roost. Does anyone feel that Buick should rank ahead of Toyota, Kia or even Honda? That's certainly not been my experience.

Last edited by Steve300h; 02-11-19 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 09:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,344 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Steve - nice work on the arrows and good choice to go for a Lexus over a Chrysler no matter what you're shopping for.
Old 02-11-19, 09:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Did you read Car and Driver's long term test of the Pacifica PHEV? They're about half way through now. Here are some excerpts:

From the 10k mile update:
WHAT WENT WRONG: The Pacifica hybrid rolled in to the dealership for its recommended 10,000-mile service without giving us a hint of trouble. Along with an oil change, tire rotation, and multipoint inspection that cost $101, the dealership performed a recall service to update the powertrain control module, battery-pack control module, and power-inverter module. While we didn't experience any malfunctions, FCA issued the recall to prevent a cruise-control glitch that could potentially cause the system to maintain speed or accelerate unless the driver shifts into neutral or applies the brakes.
Barely 500 miles later, on a trip to Grand Rapids (about 140 miles west of our Ann Arbor office), the minivan rattled on startup and went into limp-home mode. Photo assistant Charley Ladd was behind the wheel and nursed it to the closest dealership, where the technicians determined that the high-voltage battery needed to be replaced (!), a job that was covered under warranty. However, after installation, the battery wouldn't charge. A field engineer was dispatched to diagnose the issue and found that the battery control unit had the wrong software installed. Reprogramming it fixed the charging problem, but the dealer was not able to re-create the rattle on startup
And the 20k update:

WHAT WENT WRONG: Not long after we experienced serious issues with the Pacifica's hybrid system, which required replacing the entire battery pack under warranty and later updating its software because it wasn't charging, a warning light appeared, along with a "Service Hybrid Electric System" message. We eventually discovered that this was triggered by the coolant-level sensor, and the dealership confirmed that the battery coolant was one pint low. The technician refilled the coolant but was unable to diagnose the issue because no leaks were found. A couple thousand miles later, the warning light went off again, and again the battery coolant was low. The dealership drained and refilled the coolant reservoir but still couldn't find any leaks. While we haven't had any problems with the coolant level since then, the issue remains a mystery.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-reliability/
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (02-12-19)
Old 02-13-19, 04:10 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As somebody who owns a Pacifica and posts on that board, you made the right choice lol. You should read the non hybrid forum! Sliding doors falling off vans and Chrysler refusing to cover it, numerous infotainment failures, gas Pacificas dying in the middle of intersections because of a fault in their engine start stop system. Mine has been in the shop 3 times for frozen nav screens, and they replaced the whole unit the last time and it still freezes. Rear theatre doesn't work half the time, The vacuum hasn't worked in a year, now one of the sliding doors is grinding (afraid it will fall off) and the automatic parallel parking runs into curbs and other cars.

Its amazing to me the number of problems there, and how they all just think this is how it should be. In one thread a guy actually said "it just used to be that you bought a car and it was many years before it started having major problems". No! These cars are just garbage!

A Lexus/Toyota might not always be the fanciest car you can buy, but its a great combination of fancy, quality and dependability.
That's disappointing that a car with so many features, like the Pacifica, isn't reliable.
Old 02-13-19, 04:16 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I had a '15 and '17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit which both gave me problems from the outset. With the '17, the air suspension failed in cold weather. Imagine driving 300 miles on the interstate riding on bump stops! The Jeep forum makes clear that FCA is well-aware of the problems with Quadra-Lift. For me, the dealership could not reproduce the problem so I was SOL.

The two best things about the Summit were the seats/ride and the awesome Harman-Kardon sound system.
What does FCA stand for?
Old 02-13-19, 04:22 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Why is the IS the least reliable Lexus?

Surprising that the Q50 is the reliable, while the Q60 is the most.
Old 02-14-19, 07:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
What does FCA stand for?
The parent company. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.